Jim Riggan

Default bannetons or brotform source

Does any one know of an inexpensive source for brotforms or bannetons?

Kenneth

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:21:32 -0600, "Jim Riggan"
> wrote:

>Does any one know of an inexpensive source for brotforms or bannetons?

Well, that depends on what you mean by "inexpensive" and
what you mean by "brotforms" or "bannetons."

If you want authentic, traditional French willow and linen
bannetons, they are all obscenely expensive as far as I
know.

If, however, you care to take the time, you can buy some
quality linen at an art supply store (yep, it's the stuff
they paint on) and line some cheap wicker baskets. The bread
won't know the difference, and I won't tell...

Regarding brotforms, much the same thing applies. The "real"
ones are rather costly (though not in the breathtaking
league of the French stuff) but there are very inexpensive
alternatives made of wicker that will do much the same
thing.

In summary, if you want to save on the cost, stay away from
cooking or baking suppliers and head for places that sell
inexpensive wicker goods.

All the best,

--
Kenneth

If you do a dogpile or google search, you will see that brotforms cost
between about $28 to $40, depending on size and what they're made of.
The French willow ones are about $33 to $40 depending on size. The cane
ones are cheaper for same size. I doubt your bread would know the
difference. They're not cheap but are long lasting and do make rustic
breads look good.

Mike Avery

D.Currie wrote:

> I got mine from tmb baking (www.tmbbaking.com).

They also have some plastic bannetons and brotformen. Another source,
if you are in a largish city is Cost + Import House. They don't sell
on-line, their web site is just to give you the feel of the stores.
But, they have lined bannetons for about $5.00 each. Made in China.
Not NSF approved. But very serviceable. Just don't machine dry the
liners after washing them.

Mike

Mike Avery

D.Currie wrote:

> I got mine from tmb baking (www.tmbbaking.com).

They also have some plastic bannetons and brotformen. Another source,
if you are in a largish city is Cost + Import House. They don't sell
on-line, their web site is just to give you the feel of the stores.
But, they have lined bannetons for about $5.00 each. Made in China.
Not NSF approved. But very serviceable. Just don't machine dry the
liners after washing them.

Mike

You might have a look here. Click on the English language version, then
"catalogue." Not sure of the shipping charges to wherever you are, but
much better than 30+ dollar or euro a piece:

http://www.brotformen.de/

--Lisse

Kenneth

On 4 Mar 2005 13:55:57 -0800,
wrote:

>You might have a look here. Click on the English language version, then
>"catalogue." Not sure of the shipping charges to wherever you are, but
>much better than 30+ dollar or euro a piece:

http://www.brotformen.de/

>--Lisse

Hi Lisse,

That is an interesting site...

Also, could you please include in your posts something of
the message to which you are responding?

Thanks,

--
Kenneth

--
>Kenneth

Hello Kenneth,
Sorry, I didn't realize I was being imprecise. I am reading from the
Google groups that shows a tree of exactly who is responding to whom,
but where any quoting of prior messages has to be manually cut and
pasted, which I don't always remember to do. If I write more, I'll try
to be more clear. Thanks,

--Lisse

--
>Kenneth

Hello Kenneth,
Sorry, I didn't realize I was being imprecise. I am reading from the
Google groups that shows a tree of exactly who is responding to whom,
but where any quoting of prior messages has to be manually cut and
pasted, which I don't always remember to do. If I write more, I'll try
to be more clear. Thanks,

--Lisse

Carey

"Jim Riggan" > wrote in message
> Does any one know of an inexpensive source for brotforms or bannetons?

I just did a search for this the other day -- liked what froogle came up
with, though I still haven't decided what to get. If the links below are
problematic, just go to google and do a search on those terms using
"froogle".

Carey

Brotform:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...b=wf&scoring=p

Banneton:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?hl...a rch+Froogle

Proofing basket:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?hl...Search+Froogle

Source Sheldon General Cooking 1 06-12-2006 07:42 PM
Brotform care hutchndi Sourdough 21 24-12-2005 04:06 PM
MLF Source Joe Winemaking 3 13-09-2005 07:15 PM
bannetons or brotform source Jim Riggan Baking 0 27-02-2005 09:21 PM
bannetons/brotforms Phil Sourdough 17 12-07-2004 02:35 AM