Marcella Peek

Default Key Lime Pie

I have a bag of said limes and would like to make a pie. I am not a key
lime pie expert and see many variations of the recipe.

Cookie crust?

Baked pastry crust?

Filling poured in and chilled to set?

Filling baked then chilled to set?

Whipped cream or meringue?

Anyone know what is really the real deal? They all claim to be
"authentic" but they all differ quite a bit.

marcella
enough with the bread machine posts!
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 22 Feb 2005 01:19:13p, Marcella Peek wrote in rec.food.baking:

> I have a bag of said limes and would like to make a pie. I am not a key
> lime pie expert and see many variations of the recipe.

I'm not an expert on authenticity, but I've been baking key lime pies for
many years. My preferences follow:

> Cookie crust?

No, but probably original.

> Baked pastry crust?

Yes, better texture combination.

> Filling poured in and chilled to set?

No, it never sets firm enough.

> Filling baked then chilled to set?

Yes, a firmer set and better texture.

> Whipped cream or meringue?

Whipped cream, just because!

> Anyone know what is really the real deal? They all claim to be
> "authentic" but they all differ quite a bit.
>
> marcella
> enough with the bread machine posts!

Wayne
Ida Slapter

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 12:19:13 -0800, Marcella Peek >
wrote:

>I have a bag of said limes and would like to make a pie. I am not a key
>lime pie expert and see many variations of the recipe.

this is the original...

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Key Lime Pie (Authentic)

desserts, pies

4 large eggs
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup key lime juice
1 9 prepared pastry shell
1/2 tablespoon sugar, or more
1/3 teaspoon cream of tarter

Preheat oven to 350F.

Separate egg yolks and whites in separate bowls. Beat egg yolks until
light. Add condensed milk and slowly add 1/2 cup lime juice stirring
as
you go. Stir mixture until thickened; the acidity of the key lime
juice
will "cook" the mixture into a custard. Pour mixture into prebaked
pie
crust.

Make a meringue with the egg whites. While beating egg whites, add
sugar,
one tablespoon at a time. Add a little cream of tarter. Cover pie
with
meringue and bake for a few minutes until meringue is lightly browned.

Note: Be sure and perforate pie crust with fork before baking crust.
Chill
pie until ready to serve.

Yield: 6 servings

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures may not
be consistent with what you know to be true.
As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!
Eric Jorgensen

On 22 Feb 2005 21:55:26 +0100
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Tue 22 Feb 2005 01:19:13p, Marcella Peek wrote in rec.food.baking:
>
> > I have a bag of said limes and would like to make a pie. I am not a
> > key lime pie expert and see many variations of the recipe.

> I'm not an expert on authenticity, but I've been baking key lime pies for
>
> many years. My preferences follow:
>
> > Cookie crust?

> No, but probably original.
>
> > Baked pastry crust?

> Yes, better texture combination.

I've heard it the other way around - that the original had a pastry
crust, but everybody likes the graham cracker better.

Last time i made it, the crust was formed from pulverized animal
crackers. the kind in the circus-themed bag. little butter, little
sugar, pinch of nutmeg . . . went over well.

Dave Bell

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005, Eric Jorgensen wrote:

> On 22 Feb 2005 21:55:26 +0100
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
> > On Tue 22 Feb 2005 01:19:13p, Marcella Peek wrote in rec.food.baking:
> >
> > > I have a bag of said limes and would like to make a pie. I am not a
> > > key lime pie expert and see many variations of the recipe.

> > I'm not an expert on authenticity, but I've been baking key lime pies for
> >
> > many years. My preferences follow:
> >
> > > Cookie crust?

> > No, but probably original.
> >
> > > Baked pastry crust?

> > Yes, better texture combination.
> >

> Last time i made it, the crust was formed from pulverized animal
> crackers. the kind in the circus-themed bag. little butter, little
> sugar, pinch of nutmeg . . . went over well.

I'd hazard a shortbread cookie crust, myself...

Dave

Cindy Fuller

In article >,
Marcella Peek > wrote:

> I have a bag of said limes and would like to make a pie. I am not a key
> lime pie expert and see many variations of the recipe.
>
> Cookie crust?
>
> Baked pastry crust?
>
> Filling poured in and chilled to set?
>
> Filling baked then chilled to set?
>
> Whipped cream or meringue?
>
> Anyone know what is really the real deal? They all claim to be
> "authentic" but they all differ quite a bit.
>
> marcella
> enough with the bread machine posts!

Google on Mangrove Mama's key lime pie. This is the definitive version
that we've made many times. It never fails to impress.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Ida Slapter

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 01:01:27 GMT, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

>Google on Mangrove Mama's key lime pie. This is the definitive version
>that we've made many times. It never fails to impress.

Would have been nice if you could have posted the recipe, instead of
promoting a shrimpboat load of ordinary web sites.

We Will Drink NO Wine
before It's Time.

Key Lime Pie sf[_9_] General Cooking 16 22-06-2010 08:23 PM
Lime Turkdelight General Cooking 2 10-07-2005 09:28 PM
Rose's Lime Cordial <-> Rose's Lime Juice - what's the difference? [email protected] General Cooking 10 31-12-2004 12:25 AM
Rose's Lime Cordial <-> Rose's Lime Juice - what's the difference? [email protected] General 10 31-12-2004 12:25 AM
Key Lime Pie Kim Grauballe Recipes (moderated) 0 29-02-2004 04:17 PM