Her Subj.

Default Biscotti Yeast or Leavening Bubbles / Holes?

Hello Friends,

I made a batch of biscotti tonight and as I was cutting the loaf, I
noticed large, gaping holes in my biscotti. We're talking like Swiss
cheese-type things, or the type of yeast holes you see in breads.

I'm wondering if this is a normal characteristic of biscotti, or am I
doing something wrong? (Mixing too much, too little, etc.?)

My recipe calls for 1tsp of baking soda, 2 C of flour, and 2 eggs (with
additional extracts, spices, etc.).

Many thanks in advance,

HS.

Dee Randall

"Her Subj." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello Friends,
>
> I made a batch of biscotti tonight and as I was cutting the loaf, I
> noticed large, gaping holes in my biscotti. We're talking like Swiss
> cheese-type things, or the type of yeast holes you see in breads.
>
> I'm wondering if this is a normal characteristic of biscotti, or am I
> doing something wrong? (Mixing too much, too little, etc.?)
>
> My recipe calls for 1tsp of baking soda, 2 C of flour, and 2 eggs (with
> additional extracts, spices, etc.).

What temperature did you do the first bake?
But were they light and tastey and dry? Do you want them for dipping?
Dee

Dee Randall

"Her Subj." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello Friends,
>
> I made a batch of biscotti tonight and as I was cutting the loaf, I
> noticed large, gaping holes in my biscotti. We're talking like Swiss
> cheese-type things, or the type of yeast holes you see in breads.
>
> I'm wondering if this is a normal characteristic of biscotti, or am I
> doing something wrong? (Mixing too much, too little, etc.?)
>
> My recipe calls for 1tsp of baking soda, 2 C of flour, and 2 eggs (with
> additional extracts, spices, etc.).

What temperature did you do the first bake?
But were they light and tastey and dry? Do you want them for dipping?
Dee

anon k

Her Subj. wrote:
> Hello Friends,
>
> I made a batch of biscotti tonight and as I was cutting the loaf, I
> noticed large, gaping holes in my biscotti. We're talking like Swiss
> cheese-type things, or the type of yeast holes you see in breads.
>
> I'm wondering if this is a normal characteristic of biscotti, or am I
> doing something wrong? (Mixing too much, too little, etc.?)
>
> My recipe calls for 1tsp of baking soda, 2 C of flour, and 2 eggs (with
> additional extracts, spices, etc.).
>
> Many thanks in advance,
>
> HS.

No, big holes are not normal, at least not in any biscotti that I've
seen in Italy. If you have nuts or chocolate or fruit in them, big
holes would let the pieces fall out when you sliced the loaves for toasting.

Over-mixing doesn't seem to be a problem for biscotti, and many of the
doughs are kneaded a little when forming the loaves for baking.

Maybe you undermixed and have clumps of baking soda in some places?