David

Default Cake Flour in Black and Whites

I noticed that the recipe for Black and Whites calls for equal parts of
flour and cake flour. What is cake flour? I went to the supermarket and I
only found one type of cake flour. When I looked at the incredients, they
are basically the same as flour.

Can something be replaced for cake flour? Maybe baking powder or baking
soda to give it a fluffier texture?

Thanks.

On 13-Jan-2005, "David" > wrote:

> I noticed that the recipe for Black and Whites calls for equal parts of
> flour and cake flour. What is cake flour? I went to the supermarket and
> only found one type of cake flour. When I looked at the incredients, they
>
> are basically the same as flour.
>
> Can something be replaced for cake flour? Maybe baking powder or baking
> soda to give it a fluffier texture?
>
> Thanks.

Cake flour is the lowest protein flour available and make a more tender
result; you can't add anything to any other flour to make it cake flour.
However, you can substitute all-purpose flour, the result will not be quite
as good, but will work fine. If you want to learn more about flour, check
out the information at http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00003.asp

On 13-Jan-2005, "David" > wrote:

> I noticed that the recipe for Black and Whites calls for equal parts of
> flour and cake flour. What is cake flour? I went to the supermarket and
> only found one type of cake flour. When I looked at the incredients, they
>
> are basically the same as flour.
>
> Can something be replaced for cake flour? Maybe baking powder or baking
> soda to give it a fluffier texture?
>
> Thanks.

Cake flour is the lowest protein flour available and make a more tender
result; you can't add anything to any other flour to make it cake flour.
However, you can substitute all-purpose flour, the result will not be quite
as good, but will work fine. If you want to learn more about flour, check
out the information at http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00003.asp
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 13 Jan 2005 08:52:09p, L tittered and giggled, and giggled and
tittered, and finally blurted out...

> On 13-Jan-2005, "David" > wrote:
>
>> I noticed that the recipe for Black and Whites calls for equal parts of
>> flour and cake flour. What is cake flour? I went to the supermarket
>> and I
>> only found one type of cake flour. When I looked at the incredients,
>> they
>>
>> are basically the same as flour.
>>
>> Can something be replaced for cake flour? Maybe baking powder or
>> baking soda to give it a fluffier texture?
>>
>> Thanks.

> Cake flour is the lowest protein flour available and make a more tender
> result; you can't add anything to any other flour to make it cake flour.
> However, you can substitute all-purpose flour, the result will not be
> quite as good, but will work fine. If you want to learn more about
> flour, check out the information at
> http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00003.asp

If you substitute all-purpose flour for cake flour, in most recipes you
need to remove 2 tablespoons of flour for every cup used in the recipe. I
have also seen a recommendation to replace the 2 tablespoons of flour with
cornstarch. I have done the former, not the latter. The recipes usually
turn out okay, but using the proper flour is best.

Wayne
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 13 Jan 2005 08:52:09p, L tittered and giggled, and giggled and
tittered, and finally blurted out...

> On 13-Jan-2005, "David" > wrote:
>
>> I noticed that the recipe for Black and Whites calls for equal parts of
>> flour and cake flour. What is cake flour? I went to the supermarket
>> and I
>> only found one type of cake flour. When I looked at the incredients,
>> they
>>
>> are basically the same as flour.
>>
>> Can something be replaced for cake flour? Maybe baking powder or
>> baking soda to give it a fluffier texture?
>>
>> Thanks.

> Cake flour is the lowest protein flour available and make a more tender
> result; you can't add anything to any other flour to make it cake flour.
> However, you can substitute all-purpose flour, the result will not be
> quite as good, but will work fine. If you want to learn more about
> flour, check out the information at
> http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00003.asp

If you substitute all-purpose flour for cake flour, in most recipes you
need to remove 2 tablespoons of flour for every cup used in the recipe. I
have also seen a recommendation to replace the 2 tablespoons of flour with
cornstarch. I have done the former, not the latter. The recipes usually
turn out okay, but using the proper flour is best.

Wayne

MOMPEAGRAM

"David" > wrote in message
>I noticed that the recipe for Black and Whites calls for equal parts of
>flour and cake flour. What is cake flour? I went to the supermarket and I
>only found one type of cake flour. When I looked at the incredients, they
>are basically the same as flour.
>
> Can something be replaced for cake flour? Maybe baking powder or baking
> soda to give it a fluffier texture?
>
> Thanks.

* Exported from BigOven *

Cake Flour Substitute

Recipe By :
Serving Size :4
Cuisine :
Main Ingred. :
Categories :Info Cakes

-------- ------------- --------------------------------
1 ==Hint==

To make cake flour: For 1 cup cake flour, combine 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp
all-purpose flour with 2 Tbsp of cornstarch. From: "The Old Bear"
: Sunday, July 15, 2001 6:31 Pm

** This recipe can be pasted directly into BigOven for Windows. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

Scott

In article <1105701550.b80a890bf87008c310ab6b73379e08bf@teran ews>,
"MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote:

> To make cake flour: For 1 cup cake flour, combine 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp
> all-purpose flour with 2 Tbsp of cornstarch. From: "The Old Bear"
> : Sunday, July 15, 2001 6:31 Pm

To measure more easily, put 2 tablespoons cornstarch in a 1 cup measure,
then spoon the AP flour on top to make up 1 cup.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Scott

"MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote:

> To make cake flour: For 1 cup cake flour, combine 3/4 cup plus 2 Tbsp
> all-purpose flour with 2 Tbsp of cornstarch. From: "The Old Bear"
> : Sunday, July 15, 2001 6:31 Pm

To measure more easily, put 2 tablespoons cornstarch in a 1 cup measure,
then spoon the AP flour on top to make up 1 cup.

--
to respond (OT only), change "spamless.invalid" to "optonline.net"

<http://www.thecoffeefaq.com/>
Del Cecchi

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 13 Jan 2005 08:52:09p, L tittered and giggled, and giggled and
> tittered, and finally blurted out...
>

>>On 13-Jan-2005, "David" > wrote:
>>

>>>I noticed that the recipe for Black and Whites calls for equal parts of
>>>flour and cake flour. What is cake flour? I went to the supermarket
>>>and I
>>>only found one type of cake flour. When I looked at the incredients,
>>>they
>>>
>>>are basically the same as flour.
>>>
>>>Can something be replaced for cake flour? Maybe baking powder or
>>>baking soda to give it a fluffier texture?
>>>
>>>Thanks.

>>Cake flour is the lowest protein flour available and make a more tender
>>result; you can't add anything to any other flour to make it cake flour.
>>However, you can substitute all-purpose flour, the result will not be
>>quite as good, but will work fine. If you want to learn more about
>>flour, check out the information at
>>http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00003.asp
>>

> If you substitute all-purpose flour for cake flour, in most recipes you
> need to remove 2 tablespoons of flour for every cup used in the recipe. I
> have also seen a recommendation to replace the 2 tablespoons of flour with
> cornstarch. I have done the former, not the latter. The recipes usually
> turn out okay, but using the proper flour is best.
>
> Wayne

Ask someone at the store. In the US all supermarkets stock cakeflour.
Swans Down and SoftasSilk are two brands. It is usually packaged in a
box. Perhaps the store has it shelved near baking supplies or cake
mixes rather than next to the bags of flour.