Default Salmon filet question

Hi,

I'd like to cook a salmon filet in the oven, but don't
want to mess up the pan so I'll line it with aluminum
foil. I don't have any oil to greece it with though. Can
I just put it in and leave it on the same side, or do
I need to turn it over? Can I cook it on broil for a
bit, and then bake it for a while to get the other
side done without having to turn it over?

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 18:38:26 -0500, Dave Smith > wrote:

wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to cook a salmon filet in the oven, but don't
>> want to mess up the pan so I'll line it with aluminum
>> foil. I don't have any oil to greece it with though. Can
>> I just put it in and leave it on the same side, or do
>> I need to turn it over? Can I cook it on broil for a
>> bit, and then bake it for a while to get the other
>> side done without having to turn it over?

>I always buy salmon with the skin on, lay a piece of aluminum foil on
>the bottom of a pan and put the salmon on the foil skin side down and
>bake it without turning it over. When the salmon is cooked you can slip
>a lifter between the skin and the flesh and lift it right off. Then you
>just have to roll up the foil with the skin attached and pitch it in the
>garbage.
>
>You don't need any special grease. A little olive oil or melted butter
>drizzled over the salmon will help. I usually give it some pepper, a
>little salt and some fresh dill weed.

Thank you! Sounds great so far. How long and at what temp
would you suggest for a .88 pound filet?

Peter Aitken wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'd like to cook a salmon filet in the oven, but don't
> > > want to mess up the pan so I'll line it with aluminum
> > > foil. I don't have any oil to greece it with though. Can
> > > I just put it in and leave it on the same side, or do
> > > I need to turn it over? Can I cook it on broil for a
> > > bit, and then bake it for a while to get the other
> > > side done without having to turn it over?

> > I always buy salmon with the skin on, lay a piece of aluminum foil

on
> > the bottom of a pan and put the salmon on the foil skin side down

and
> > bake it without turning it over. When the salmon is cooked you can

slip
> > a lifter between the skin and the flesh and lift it right off. Then

you
> > just have to roll up the foil with the skin attached and pitch it

in the
> > garbage.
> >

> Nooooo! The skin is the best part! Cooked properly it becomes crispy

and
> incredibly tasty.
>

> --
> Peter Aitken
>
> Remove the crap from my email address before using.

Mmmmm. Do agree with you Peter. Which is why I prefer to do my salmon
fillet in the fry pan, very high heat, skin side down, do not turn it
over. About eight minutes does it; plate and let stand a minute or two
more. A squeeze of lime or lemon juice, or dribble of vinegar if I've
got month left over at the end of the money. Lots of cracked black
pepper. When I do it this way I get that great crispy skin *and* I
don't have to feel guilty about polluting the environment with aluminum
foil; which I would.

Zee

Jerry Avins

Peter Aitken wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I'd like to cook a salmon filet in the oven, but don't
>>>want to mess up the pan so I'll line it with aluminum
>>>foil. I don't have any oil to greece it with though. Can
>>>I just put it in and leave it on the same side, or do
>>>I need to turn it over? Can I cook it on broil for a
>>>bit, and then bake it for a while to get the other
>>>side done without having to turn it over?

>>I always buy salmon with the skin on, lay a piece of aluminum foil on
>>the bottom of a pan and put the salmon on the foil skin side down and
>>bake it without turning it over. When the salmon is cooked you can slip
>>a lifter between the skin and the flesh and lift it right off. Then you
>>just have to roll up the foil with the skin attached and pitch it in the
>>garbage.
>>

> Nooooo! The skin is the best part! Cooked properly it becomes crispy and
> incredibly tasty.

All a matter of taste. Some people even like chicken!

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Jerry Avins

Peter Aitken wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I'd like to cook a salmon filet in the oven, but don't
>>>want to mess up the pan so I'll line it with aluminum
>>>foil. I don't have any oil to greece it with though. Can
>>>I just put it in and leave it on the same side, or do
>>>I need to turn it over? Can I cook it on broil for a
>>>bit, and then bake it for a while to get the other
>>>side done without having to turn it over?

>>I always buy salmon with the skin on, lay a piece of aluminum foil on
>>the bottom of a pan and put the salmon on the foil skin side down and
>>bake it without turning it over. When the salmon is cooked you can slip
>>a lifter between the skin and the flesh and lift it right off. Then you
>>just have to roll up the foil with the skin attached and pitch it in the
>>garbage.
>>

> Nooooo! The skin is the best part! Cooked properly it becomes crispy and
> incredibly tasty.

All a matter of taste. Some people even like chicken!

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Tony P.

In article .com>,
says...

> Peter Aitken wrote:

> > > I always buy salmon with the skin on, lay a piece of aluminum foil

> on
> > > the bottom of a pan and put the salmon on the foil skin side down

> and
> > > bake it without turning it over. When the salmon is cooked you can

> slip
> > > a lifter between the skin and the flesh and lift it right off. Then

> you
> > > just have to roll up the foil with the skin attached and pitch it

> in the
> > > garbage.
> > >

> > Nooooo! The skin is the best part! Cooked properly it becomes crispy

> and
> > incredibly tasty.
> >

> > --
> > Peter Aitken
> >
> > Remove the crap from my email address before using.

> Mmmmm. Do agree with you Peter. Which is why I prefer to do my salmon
> fillet in the fry pan, very high heat, skin side down, do not turn it
> over. About eight minutes does it; plate and let stand a minute or two
> more. A squeeze of lime or lemon juice, or dribble of vinegar if I've
> got month left over at the end of the money. Lots of cracked black
> pepper. When I do it this way I get that great crispy skin *and* I
> don't have to feel guilty about polluting the environment with aluminum
> foil; which I would.

Sage/Chili rubbed salmon is delicious. I don't have the recipe in front
of me but it's a paste of chili powder, verjus or apple cider, sage,
garlic etc. You put it on the salmon and let it rest in the fridge for a
couple hours, scrape the paste off and saute in a pan. Yum!

Tony P.

In article .com>,
says...

> Peter Aitken wrote:

> > > I always buy salmon with the skin on, lay a piece of aluminum foil

> on
> > > the bottom of a pan and put the salmon on the foil skin side down

> and
> > > bake it without turning it over. When the salmon is cooked you can

> slip
> > > a lifter between the skin and the flesh and lift it right off. Then

> you
> > > just have to roll up the foil with the skin attached and pitch it

> in the
> > > garbage.
> > >

> > Nooooo! The skin is the best part! Cooked properly it becomes crispy

> and
> > incredibly tasty.
> >

> > --
> > Peter Aitken
> >
> > Remove the crap from my email address before using.

> Mmmmm. Do agree with you Peter. Which is why I prefer to do my salmon
> fillet in the fry pan, very high heat, skin side down, do not turn it
> over. About eight minutes does it; plate and let stand a minute or two
> more. A squeeze of lime or lemon juice, or dribble of vinegar if I've
> got month left over at the end of the money. Lots of cracked black
> pepper. When I do it this way I get that great crispy skin *and* I
> don't have to feel guilty about polluting the environment with aluminum
> foil; which I would.

Sage/Chili rubbed salmon is delicious. I don't have the recipe in front
of me but it's a paste of chili powder, verjus or apple cider, sage,
garlic etc. You put it on the salmon and let it rest in the fridge for a
couple hours, scrape the paste off and saute in a pan. Yum!

Joseph Littleshoes

Jerry Avins wrote:

> Peter Aitken wrote:

> >>I always buy salmon with the skin on, lay a piece of aluminum foil

> on
> >>the bottom of a pan and put the salmon on the foil skin side down

> and
> >>bake it without turning it over. When the salmon is cooked you can

> slip
> >>a lifter between the skin and the flesh and lift it right off. Then

> you
> >>just have to roll up the foil with the skin attached and pitch it in

> the
> >>garbage.
> >>

> > Nooooo! The skin is the best part! Cooked properly it becomes crispy

> and
> > incredibly tasty.

> All a matter of taste. Some people even like chicken!
>
> Jerry
> --

GRATIS DICTUM
----------------------

If one is sauteing or braising or poleing a slamon filet then the skin
will add flavour to any subsequent sauce one makes.

Hello rec.food.cooking! Your reputtion preceds you.
---
J(just a hobbyist)L

> Engineering is the art of making what you want from things you can
> get.
> ŻŻŻŻ
> ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Joseph Littleshoes

Jerry Avins wrote:

> Peter Aitken wrote:

> >>I always buy salmon with the skin on, lay a piece of aluminum foil

> on
> >>the bottom of a pan and put the salmon on the foil skin side down

> and
> >>bake it without turning it over. When the salmon is cooked you can

> slip
> >>a lifter between the skin and the flesh and lift it right off. Then

> you
> >>just have to roll up the foil with the skin attached and pitch it in

> the
> >>garbage.
> >>

> > Nooooo! The skin is the best part! Cooked properly it becomes crispy

> and
> > incredibly tasty.

> All a matter of taste. Some people even like chicken!
>
> Jerry
> --

GRATIS DICTUM
----------------------

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:36:28 +0000, Kate Dicey > wrote:

wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to cook a salmon filet in the oven, but don't
>> want to mess up the pan so I'll line it with aluminum
>> foil. I don't have any oil to greece it with though. Can
>> I just put it in and leave it on the same side, or do
>> I need to turn it over? Can I cook it on broil for a
>> bit, and then bake it for a while to get the other
>> side done without having to turn it over?

>I do them in the oven all the time. Just place in an oven proof dish,
>squeeze a bit of lemon on if you like, and bake for 15-20 mins at 180 C.

Well, I cooked it for about an hour at 300° F. It sucked. I don't know
what that would be C, but it dried out pretty bad and I tossed most of it.
Maybe I'll give that 15-20 mins thing a try. Thanks!

> If you don't want fat from the fish to coat the oven, cover it. If
>the dish has no lid, a bit of greaseproof paper will do. I never bother
>to turn it over. Add a little extra time if cooking from frozen.
>
>I usually use a glass roaster with a lid: easier to shove in the
>dishwasher than bits of the oven, and a fishy oven ain't nice for cakes!

I'll bet. Cakes. I made cakes before, and it turned out pretty good.
Hmmm....

wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to cook a salmon filet in the oven, but don't
>> want to mess up the pan so I'll line it with aluminum
>> foil. I don't have any oil to greece it with though. Can
>> I just put it in and leave it on the same side, or do
>> I need to turn it over? Can I cook it on broil for a
>> bit, and then bake it for a while to get the other
>> side done without having to turn it over?

>I do them in the oven all the time. Just place in an oven proof dish,
>squeeze a bit of lemon on if you like, and bake for 15-20 mins at 180 C.

Well, I cooked it for about an hour at 300° F. It sucked. I don't know
what that would be C, but it dried out pretty bad and I tossed most of it.
Maybe I'll give that 15-20 mins thing a try. Thanks!

> If you don't want fat from the fish to coat the oven, cover it. If
>the dish has no lid, a bit of greaseproof paper will do. I never bother
>to turn it over. Add a little extra time if cooking from frozen.
>
>I usually use a glass roaster with a lid: easier to shove in the
>dishwasher than bits of the oven, and a fishy oven ain't nice for cakes!

I'll bet. Cakes. I made cakes before, and it turned out pretty good.
Hmmm....
Eric Jorgensen

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:11:46 GMT
"kilikini" > wrote:
> An hour? Whoa! Should be like maybe 10 - 15 minutes tops, depending
> upon how large the size of the fish was. If you wrap the fish in foil
> you just keep checking the fish for done-ness, then when it's not quite
> done, you take it off the heat and let it sit to finish. Easy and good.

Reminds me of cooking for my ex's parents. Grilled some salmon until it
was just starting to flake apart, served it. they said "Oh this is
wonderful, but it's undercooked" and put it back on the grill until it was
like cardboard . . . . It would have never worked out, girl grew up in a
house with 'eggs' in little plastic jugs for cryin out loud.
Eric Jorgensen