Scott Danzig

Default How to keep cookies with the butter from spreading

Hi all. I have a not far from standard chocolate chip cookie recipe that
I'm trying to get just right.

1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 cups chocolate chunks
2 1/3 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla

I'm pretty sure I can get it to spread less replacing the butter with
shortening, but I like cookie better with the butter in it. How can I get
the cookie to not spread so much while cooking? Thanks.

- Scott

Jenn Ridley

"Scott Danzig" > wrote:

>Hi all. I have a not far from standard chocolate chip cookie recipe that
>I'm trying to get just right.
>
>1/2 cup softened butter
>1/2 cup shortening
>1/2 cup brown sugar
>2 eggs
>2 cups chocolate chunks
>2 1/3 cups flour
>1 tsp salt
>1 tsp baking soda
>2 tsp vanilla
>
>I'm pretty sure I can get it to spread less replacing the butter with
>shortening, but I like cookie better with the butter in it. How can I get
>the cookie to not spread so much while cooking? Thanks.

Use less sugar, or less butter, or both (what I do). My basic recipe
calls for 1C butter, 2C sugar, 2C flour, and I use 3/4 C butter and
1-1/2C sugar. The cookies taste just fine and don't spread nearly as
far as they did when I followed the recipe. My kids love them, and so
do the grownups.

Add another egg. (I've heard this works, but haven't tried it yet.)

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley

Janet Bostwick

"Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> at Fri, 05 Mar 2004 02:30:47 GMT in >,
> (Scott Danzig) wrote :
>
> >Hi all. I have a not far from standard chocolate chip cookie recipe that
> >I'm trying to get just right.
> >
> >1/2 cup softened butter
> >1/2 cup shortening
> >1/2 cup brown sugar
> >2 eggs
> >2 cups chocolate chunks
> >2 1/3 cups flour
> >1 tsp salt
> >1 tsp baking soda
> >2 tsp vanilla
> >
> >I'm pretty sure I can get it to spread less replacing the butter with
> >shortening, but I like cookie better with the butter in it. How can I

get
> >the cookie to not spread so much while cooking? Thanks.

> You can even get away with using no shortening at all, and using pure
> butter. The key thing you need to do is increase the proportion of eggs in
> your recipe. I think 3 eggs will make it a bit too cakey, so a better bet
> would be either to add an extra egg, but increase the other ingredients by
> a somewhat smaller amount than 1/2 again as much, or reduce all the other
> ingredients by some small amount. You'll still need to experiment a little
> to get the thickness/puffiness level you want, but it shouldn't take too
> long. Remember that small adjustments produce big results, so, for
> instance, merely adjusting all the other ingredients than eggs downward by
> 7/8 could easily be enough to make all the difference.
>

> --
> Alex Rast
>

> (remove d., .7, not, and .NOSPAM to reply)

I'm sorry, will you say that again but differently? I'm with you through
the extra egg and increasing the other ingredients a bit, but I don't get
"or reduce all the other ingredients by some small amount." Either increase
or decrease the other ingredients? Sorry, I'm just drinking my morning
coffee, maybe everything will be clear later.
Janet

Scott Danzig

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> "Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> > at Fri, 05 Mar 2004 02:30:47 GMT in

>,
> > (Scott Danzig) wrote :
> >
> > >Hi all. I have a not far from standard chocolate chip cookie recipe

that
> > >I'm trying to get just right.
> > >
> > >1/2 cup softened butter
> > >1/2 cup shortening
> > >1/2 cup brown sugar
> > >2 eggs
> > >2 cups chocolate chunks
> > >2 1/3 cups flour
> > >1 tsp salt
> > >1 tsp baking soda
> > >2 tsp vanilla
> > >
> > >I'm pretty sure I can get it to spread less replacing the butter with
> > >shortening, but I like cookie better with the butter in it. How can I

> get
> > >the cookie to not spread so much while cooking? Thanks.

> > You can even get away with using no shortening at all, and using pure
> > butter. The key thing you need to do is increase the proportion of eggs

in
> > your recipe. I think 3 eggs will make it a bit too cakey, so a better

bet
> > would be either to add an extra egg, but increase the other ingredients

by
> > a somewhat smaller amount than 1/2 again as much, or reduce all the

other
> > ingredients by some small amount. You'll still need to experiment a

little
> > to get the thickness/puffiness level you want, but it shouldn't take too
> > long. Remember that small adjustments produce big results, so, for
> > instance, merely adjusting all the other ingredients than eggs downward

by
> > 7/8 could easily be enough to make all the difference.
> > Alex Rast
> >

> > (remove d., .7, not, and .NOSPAM to reply)

> I'm sorry, will you say that again but differently? I'm with you through
> the extra egg and increasing the other ingredients a bit, but I don't get
> "or reduce all the other ingredients by some small amount." Either

increase
> or decrease the other ingredients? Sorry, I'm just drinking my morning
> coffee, maybe everything will be clear later.
> Janet

I think what he's saying is upping the amount of egg would work, but
assuming I'm going to use whole eggs only (not stirring in 2 eggs plus a
little more) the way to get around that is by reducing all the other
ingredients a bit... for instance, he's suggesting perhaps by an eighth (2
tsp vanilla becomes 1 3/4 tsp). Good advice, Alex! See, I find the key to
understanding Alex is to not drink decaf.

- Scott

Janet Bostwick

"Scott Danzig" > wrote in message
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Alex Rast" > wrote in message
> > > at Fri, 05 Mar 2004 02:30:47 GMT in

> >,

> that

> > get
> > >
> > > You can even get away with using no shortening at all, and using pure
> > > butter. The key thing you need to do is increase the proportion of

eggs
> in
> > > your recipe. I think 3 eggs will make it a bit too cakey, so a better

> bet
> > > would be either to add an extra egg, but increase the other

ingredients
> by
> > > a somewhat smaller amount than 1/2 again as much, or reduce all the

> other
> > > ingredients by some small amount. You'll still need to experiment a

> little
> > > to get the thickness/puffiness level you want, but it shouldn't take

too
> > > long. Remember that small adjustments produce big results, so, for
> > > instance, merely adjusting all the other ingredients than eggs

downward
> by
> > > 7/8 could easily be enough to make all the difference.
> > > Alex Rast
> > >

> > > (remove d., .7, not, and .NOSPAM to reply)

> > I'm sorry, will you say that again but differently? I'm with you

through
> > the extra egg and increasing the other ingredients a bit, but I don't

get
> > "or reduce all the other ingredients by some small amount." Either

> increase
> > or decrease the other ingredients? Sorry, I'm just drinking my morning
> > coffee, maybe everything will be clear later.
> > Janet

> I think what he's saying is upping the amount of egg would work, but
> assuming I'm going to use whole eggs only (not stirring in 2 eggs plus a
> little more) the way to get around that is by reducing all the other
> ingredients a bit... for instance, he's suggesting perhaps by an eighth (2
> tsp vanilla becomes 1 3/4 tsp). Good advice, Alex! See, I find the key

> understanding Alex is to not drink decaf.
>
> - Scott

I knew it would make better sense after more coffee.. ;o} thanks
Janet

Roy Basan

"Scott Danzig" > wrote in message >...
> Hi all. I have a not far from standard chocolate chip cookie recipe that
> I'm trying to get just right.
>
> 1/2 cup softened butter
> 1/2 cup shortening
> 1/2 cup brown sugar
> 2 eggs
> 2 cups chocolate chunks
> 2 1/3 cups flour
> 1 tsp salt
> 1 tsp baking soda
> 2 tsp vanilla
>
> I'm pretty sure I can get it to spread less replacing the butter with
> shortening, but I like cookie better with the butter in it. How can I get
> the cookie to not spread so much while cooking? Thanks.
>
> - Scott

Cookie spreading is caued by some factors:
such as these:
1)The amount of fat used is high( you can reduce it in order to have
a better dough 'body'.
2) The sugar content is high and of coarse granulation( if you do not
want to remove the brown sugar; replace part with icing sugar which
will help control spreading during baking.. 50/50 blend of icing and
brown sugar will do an improvement
3) Bake the cookie on ungreaed trays;so that it will not slide during
baking and spread. You can also bake the cookie in paper lined trays
4) avoid the use of melted fat.. The butter must be at romm
temperature .
5) Use cake flour. Normal pastry flour will encourage spreading while
cake making flour will restrict it.. Alternatively I also blend cake
flour and all purpose flour 30/70 to 50/50 cake flour/ APF ratio.
6) Do not overmix and overcream the mixture .I usually just blend
sugar and fat at five minutes at low speed then add the eggs gradually
while mixing at low spead about 2 minutes more.
Good Luck!
Roy

butter cookies DIH General Cooking 2 27-10-2008 04:16 AM
Gourmade Cookies Peanut Butter Blitzers( Cookies) Joshua Berry Recipes (moderated) 0 14-03-2008 02:33 AM
Butter Cookies Dorothy Yereance Recipes (moderated) 0 13-10-2007 04:40 PM
Apple Butter-Peanut Butter Cookies Sandy U. Recipes (moderated) 0 02-10-2006 04:10 AM
Cornstarch Cookies - Norwegian Butter Cookies Duckie ® Recipes 0 07-08-2005 02:19 PM