Melba's Jammin'

Default Need advice re Bran Muffins recipe

Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in
the local grocery stores. What can I substitute? I do have a food
co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran available -- IIRC, it
was a light and flaky thang.

I await your counsel, O Great Muffin Weenies

{ Exported from MasterCook Mac }

Bran Muffins #2

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 66
Preparation Time: 0:00
Categories: Quick Breads

Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
4 cups All-Bran cereal
2 cups 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal
1 tsp. salt
2 cups boiling water
5 cups flour
1 quart buttermilk
3 cups sugar
1 cup shortening
4 eggs
5 tsp. soda

Mix bran and salt together. Stir in boiling water. Add buttermilk; let
cool to lukewarm. Cream sugar and shortening and add eggs, one at a
time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in bran mixture. Mix soda
and flour together and add to bran mixture. Stir well. Bake in greased
muffin tins at 375° for 20-25 minutes. Batter will keep in fridge for 2
weeks. Makes about 5-1/2 dozen muffins.

‹‹‹‹‹
Notes: Source: Jean, February 25, 1984.

Per serving (excluding unknown items): 108 Calories; 4g Fat (30%
calories from fat); 2g Protein; 17g Carbohydrate; 14mg Cholesterol; 52mg
Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Starch/Bread; 1/2 Fruit; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other
Carbohydrates
_____
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!
zxcvbob

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in
> the local grocery stores. What can I substitute? I do have a food
> co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran available -- IIRC, it
> was a light and flaky thang.
>
> I await your counsel, O Great Muffin Weenies
>
> { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
>
> Bran Muffins #2
>
> Recipe By:
> Serving Size: 66
> Preparation Time: 0:00
> Categories: Quick Breads
>
> Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
> 4 cups All-Bran cereal
> 2 cups 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal
> 1 tsp. salt
> 2 cups boiling water
> 5 cups flour
> 1 quart buttermilk
> 3 cups sugar
> 1 cup shortening
> 4 eggs
> 5 tsp. soda
>
> Mix bran and salt together. Stir in boiling water. Add buttermilk; let
> cool to lukewarm. Cream sugar and shortening and add eggs, one at a
> time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in bran mixture. Mix soda
> and flour together and add to bran mixture. Stir well. Bake in greased
> muffin tins at 375° for 20-25 minutes. Batter will keep in fridge for 2
> weeks. Makes about 5-1/2 dozen muffins.

I have a *very* similar recipe that uses whole wheat flour for much of
the bran; therefore it won't make much difference what kind of bran you
use. Just use bran flakes. Lessee if I have the file here at work...

Refrigerator Muffins

5C whole wheat flour
1 1/2C bran
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
2C brown sugar (I like dark brown)
4 eggs, beaten
1C oil
1 quart buttermilk

Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add eggs, oil, and buttermilk
and mix until blended. May be stored in covered container in
refrigerator for as long as 4 weeks. Bake as needed in lightly greased
muffin cups filled two-thirds full. Bake in 400 degree oven for 20
minutes. Makes 3 1/2 dozen.

Best regards,
Bob
Melba's Jammin'

In article > , Dog3
<dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' > deliciously posted in
> :
>
> > Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in
> > the local grocery stores. What can I substitute? I do have a food
> > co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran available -- IIRC, it
> > was a light and flaky thang.
> >
> > I await your counsel, O Great Muffin Weenies
> >
> > { Exported from MasterCook Mac }
> >
> > Bran Muffins #2

> > Amount Measure Ingredient Preparation Method
> > 4 cups All-Bran cereal
> > 2 cups 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal

(snip)
> Want me to send some up? I've got to get this frigging salsa in the mail
> to you and Jack anyway. We get All-Bran for sure. I'm not positive
> about
> the Bran-Buds though. I would think any of the high fibre type of
> cereals
> would work.
>
> Michael

Nah, I've got the All-Bran. It's the 100% Bran or Bran Buds that may
have been discontinued. Thanks anyway.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!
Puester

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in
> the local grocery stores. What can I substitute? I do have a food
> co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran available -- IIRC, it
> was a light and flaky thang.
>
> I await your counsel, O Great Muffin Weenies

Can'tcha just drink prune juice instead?

;-)
gloria p
Nancy Young

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in
> the local grocery stores.

Bran Buds sounds like Grape Nuts, perhaps you could give them a ride
in the blender.

nancy

The Old Bear

Nancy Young > writes:

>From: Nancy Young >
>Newsgroups: rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,alt.cooking-chat
>Subject: Need advice re Bran Muffins recipe
>Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:43:01 -0500
>
>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>> Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in
>> the local grocery stores.

>Bran Buds sounds like Grape Nuts, perhaps you could give them a ride
>in the blender.

Bran cereal like "Bran Buds" or "100% Bran" or "All-Bran" consist of
whole wheat bran and sugar (and some malt, corn syrup sweetener, salt
and "enriched" with vitamins and minerals).

Grape Nuts, on the other hand, are quite hard and crunchy. They are
made from wheat flour (rather than wheat bran) and sweeteners and are
manufactured by baking, made into crumbs and finally toasted until
hard. Grape Nuts are much lower in fiber than the bran cereals.

Generally, ready-to-eat commercial bran cereals are used in making
bran muffins because they are widely available and easy to moisten and
fold into the muffin batter. But their function is to add wheat bran
fiber and they provide a little sweetener as a bonus.

You should be able to substitue wheat bran (usually available where
health foods are sold, or sold as a cooked cereal to be prepared like
oatmeal, or sometimes with baking supplies.) Just soak the wheat
bran in place of the Bran Buds cereal and increase the amount of
sugar in the recipe.

Cheers,
The Old Bear

Nancy Young

limey wrote:

> Check out the content of Fiber One cereal.

Oh, my very much beloved and missed Dennis Wolfberg:

Fiber One!!! They should have called it FIBER TWO, because all you'll
be thinking about is NUMBER TWO! TWICE the fiber of TWINE. Don't
eat this if you plan to hold down a PAYING JOB!

(laughing) nancy
Nancy Young

Nancy Young wrote:

> limey wrote:
>
> > Check out the content of Fiber One cereal.

> Oh, my very much beloved and missed Dennis Wolfberg:
>
> Fiber One!!! They should have called it FIBER TWO, because all you'll
> be thinking about is NUMBER TWO! TWICE the fiber of TWINE. Don't
> eat this if you plan to hold down a PAYING JOB!

Wait, I forgot, Dennis Wolfberg was the original Quiznos model!

nancy (if you never saw him, you won't know why that's funny)
limey

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> limey wrote:
>
> > Check out the content of Fiber One cereal.

> Oh, my very much beloved and missed Dennis Wolfberg:
>
> Fiber One!!! They should have called it FIBER TWO, because all you'll
> be thinking about is NUMBER TWO! TWICE the fiber of TWINE. Don't
> eat this if you plan to hold down a PAYING JOB!
>
> (laughing) nancy

You've got that right! Spoken by one who knows!

Dora

Nancy Young

limey wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> > limey wrote:
> >
> > > Check out the content of Fiber One cereal.

> > Oh, my very much beloved and missed Dennis Wolfberg:
> >
> > Fiber One!!! They should have called it FIBER TWO, because all you'll
> > be thinking about is NUMBER TWO! TWICE the fiber of TWINE. Don't
> > eat this if you plan to hold down a PAYING JOB!
> >
> > (laughing) nancy

> You've got that right! Spoken by one who knows!
>
> Dora

I still miss him and his Quiznos eyes.

nancy
limey

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote>

Here's the recipe. I can't find the 100% Bran or Bran Buds cereal in
> the local grocery stores. What can I substitute? I do have a food
> co-op available that has, I believe, whole bran available -- IIRC, it
> was a light and flaky thang.

<snipped>

> -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

Here's one example of the use of Fiber One, Barb:

HIGH FIBER COOKIES Categories : Diabetic Desserts Cookies

1 c Oat bran

1 c Rolled oats

1 c Fiber One cereal

1 c Kellogg's bran flakes

1 c Seedless raisins

1 c Chopped English walnuts

3/4 c Sugar

3/4 c Brown sugar

1 c Margarine (2 sticks)

2 Large egg whites

2 ts Vanilla

2 c All purpose flour

1 t Baking powder 1 t Baking soda

1/2 ts Salt

1/2 c Water at room temp

Place oat bran, rolled oats, Fiber one, bran flakes, raisins and walnuts in
a bowl. Mix lightly and set aside.

Place sugars and margarine in mixing bowl and mix at medium speed until
light and fluffy. Add egg whites and vanilla and mix lightly scraping the
bowl before and after adding the egg whites. In a separate bowl combine
flour, baking powder, soda and salt and mix at low speed about 1/2 min to
blend well. Add flour mixture and water to sugar mixture and mix at medium
speed only until flour is moistened. Add bran mixture and mix at medium
speed until well blended.

Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto a cookie sheet that has been sprayed
with cooking spray or lined with aluminum foil. Bake at 375 for 12-14
minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let sit for 1 minute.
Remove cookies to wire rack and cool to room temperature.

Dora

Debbie

Have u tried 2 get the Bran or Bran Buds from a health food shop?

Bran Muffins Dimitri General Cooking 2 05-10-2008 01:45 AM
Bran muffins barb[_2_] Baking 5 25-05-2007 05:33 AM
Bran Muffins [email protected] General Cooking 5 17-02-2006 07:37 PM
Carrot-Bran Muffins Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 03-12-2004 06:25 PM
Need advice re Bran Muffins recipe Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 19 07-03-2004 12:33 PM