Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bran Muffins

Hello,

I haven't lurked in this group in many years, but I hope it's still
about cooking.

I have a question about bran, and increasing the content of bran in
bran muffins. Here's where I'm starting:

Eggs, oil, sugar, buttermilk, bran flakes, kelloggs all-bran,
all-purpose flour, etc.

Here's the deal. If I sub out whole wheat flour for the all-purpose
flour, I get can increase the per-muffin fiber content from 2g to 5g.
I can probably compensate for the addition of the germ and the bran (I
think those are the two components) to the mixture by adding double
acting baking powder at 1tsp per cup. It should release enough CO2
later in the bake to make a fluffy muffin (instead of a rock).

Problem is... 5g isn't enough. I think, with the addition of
pulverized All-Bran, used in place of some of the whole wheat flour, I
could raise the total dietary fiber content per muffin to between 7g
and 10g.

I plan on a test batch of a dozen. The control recipe is the Kalamazoo
area Brook Lodge recipe of:

2 c 100% Nabisco bran cereal
2 c water, boiling
2½ c sugar (I use brown sugar)
1 c Mazola oil
5 c flour, sifted
1½ tsp salt
5 tsp soda
4 eggs
4 c Kellogg's All Bran
1 qt buttermilk

The test batches would go something like this:

Bed 1:

2 c 100% Nabisco bran cereal
2 c water, boiling
2½ c sugar (I use brown sugar)
1 c Mazola oil
5 c Pulverized Kellogg's All-Bran
1½ tsp salt
5 tsp soda
5 tsp powder
4 eggs
4 c Kellogg's All Bran
1 qt buttermilk

Bed 2:

2 c 100% Nabisco bran cereal
2 c water, boiling
2½ c sugar (I use brown sugar)
1 c Mazola oil
2.5 c Pulverized Kellogg's All-Bran
2.5 c Whole wheat flour
1½ tsp salt
5 tsp soda
5 tsp powder
4 eggs
4 c Kellogg's All Bran
1 qt buttermilk

Bed 3:

2 c 100% Nabisco bran cereal
2 c water, boiling
2½ c sugar (I use brown sugar)
1 c Mazola oil
5 c Whole wheat flour
1½ tsp salt
5 tsp soda
5 tsp powder
4 eggs
4 c Kellogg's All Bran
1 qt buttermilk

Group wisdom needed here... What do you think? I think All-Bran
All-Bran muffins would be some truly good eats. What do you think?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I haven't lurked in this group in many years, but I hope it's still
> about cooking.
>
> I have a question about bran, and increasing the content of bran in
> bran muffins. Here's where I'm starting:
>
> Eggs, oil, sugar, buttermilk, bran flakes, kelloggs all-bran,
> all-purpose flour, etc.
>
> Here's the deal. If I sub out whole wheat flour for the all-purpose
> flour, I get can increase the per-muffin fiber content from 2g to 5g.
> I can probably compensate for the addition of the germ and the bran (I
> think those are the two components) to the mixture by adding double
> acting baking powder at 1tsp per cup. It should release enough CO2
> later in the bake to make a fluffy muffin (instead of a rock).

Try this recipe, using bulk wheat bran from a health food store instead
of bran breakfast cereal:

Refrigerator Muffins
(from a recipe card that came tucked in a utility bill 17 years ago)

5 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups wheat bran or 100% bran cereal
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
2 cups brown sugar (I like dark brown)
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup salad oil
1 quart buttermilk

Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add eggs, oil, and buttermilk
and mix until blended. May be stored in covered container in
refrigerator for as long as 4 weeks. Bake as needed in lightly greased
muffin cups filled two-thirds full. Bake in 400°F oven for 20 minutes.
Makes 3 1/2 dozen.

--
Best regards,
Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

: 2? c sugar (I use brown sugar)
: 1 c Mazola oil
: 5 c flour, sifted
: 1? tsp salt
: 5 tsp soda
: 4 eggs
: 4 c Kellogg's All Bran
: 1 qt buttermilk

Quit using expensive cereal and go to a health-food store (Wild Oats, etc.)
and get some bulk wheat and oat bran. Use that instead. Also cut back on
the flour - you don't need that much. Add more bran in place of the flour.

Banana Bran Muffins [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 15-04-2009 01:47 AM
REC: Pumpkin Bran Muffins Wayne Boatwright[_5_] General Cooking 6 18-10-2008 09:03 PM
Bran Muffins Dimitri General Cooking 2 05-10-2008 01:45 AM
Bran muffins barb[_2_] Baking 5 25-05-2007 05:33 AM
Apple Bran Muffins Duckie ® Recipes 0 15-11-2005 03:29 AM