blondie

Default German delicacy winbeidl?

Hi
I'm searching for a recipe, either German or Austrian, for a sweet
that I grew up loving. Basically, it was white yeast bread dough deep
fried and served sprinkled with salt, sugar, or powdered sugar. At
least, that's how my mother learned to make it. We have since heard
that what we made was an interpretation of a German delicacy filled
with whipping cream, similar to our cream puffs. We called it Winbeidl
(Vin-bydl - now, this is my phonetic spelling, so pardon my errors).
It was great served with beer(salt) or coffee (sugar). I would really
love to know the true origin. Thanks, Blondie
Petra Hildebrandt

blondie wrote:

> I'm searching for a recipe, either German or Austrian, for a sweet
> that I grew up loving. Basically, it was white yeast bread dough deep
> fried and served sprinkled with salt, sugar, or powdered sugar. At
> least, that's how my mother learned to make it. We have since heard
> that what we made was an interpretation of a German delicacy filled
> with whipping cream, similar to our cream puffs. We called it Winbeidl
> (Vin-bydl - now, this is my phonetic spelling, so pardon my errors).
> It was great served with beer(salt) or coffee (sugar). I would really
> love to know the true origin. Thanks, Blondie

It is 'Windbeutel', or wind bag. Usually it is made with brandteig, or
choux pastry in English, so you could use any basic choux pastry recipe.

The version I know is not fried but baked in the oven until fluffy &
golden. Cut in half when still warm, and fill with whipped cream. Dust with
powdered sugar.

HTH,

Petra in Hamburg, Germany
Petra Hildebrandt

blondie wrote:

> I'm searching for a recipe, either German or Austrian, for a sweet
> that I grew up loving. Basically, it was white yeast bread dough deep
> fried and served sprinkled with salt, sugar, or powdered sugar. At
> least, that's how my mother learned to make it. We have since heard
> that what we made was an interpretation of a German delicacy filled
> with whipping cream, similar to our cream puffs. We called it Winbeidl
> (Vin-bydl - now, this is my phonetic spelling, so pardon my errors).
> It was great served with beer(salt) or coffee (sugar). I would really
> love to know the true origin. Thanks, Blondie

It is 'Windbeutel', or wind bag. Usually it is made with brandteig, or
choux pastry in English, so you could use any basic choux pastry recipe.

The version I know is not fried but baked in the oven until fluffy &
golden. Cut in half when still warm, and fill with whipped cream. Dust with
powdered sugar.

HTH,

Petra in Hamburg, Germany
Peggy

Sounds like Indian Fry Bread to me when made without the filling.
~Peggy

"blondie" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi
> I'm searching for a recipe, either German or Austrian, for a sweet
> that I grew up loving. Basically, it was white yeast bread dough deep
> fried and served sprinkled with salt, sugar, or powdered sugar. At
> least, that's how my mother learned to make it. We have since heard
> that what we made was an interpretation of a German delicacy filled
> with whipping cream, similar to our cream puffs. We called it Winbeidl
> (Vin-bydl - now, this is my phonetic spelling, so pardon my errors).
> It was great served with beer(salt) or coffee (sugar). I would really
> love to know the true origin. Thanks, Blondie

Peggy

Sounds like Indian Fry Bread to me when made without the filling.
~Peggy

"blondie" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi
> I'm searching for a recipe, either German or Austrian, for a sweet
> that I grew up loving. Basically, it was white yeast bread dough deep
> fried and served sprinkled with salt, sugar, or powdered sugar. At
> least, that's how my mother learned to make it. We have since heard
> that what we made was an interpretation of a German delicacy filled
> with whipping cream, similar to our cream puffs. We called it Winbeidl
> (Vin-bydl - now, this is my phonetic spelling, so pardon my errors).
> It was great served with beer(salt) or coffee (sugar). I would really
> love to know the true origin. Thanks, Blondie

blondie

Petra,

You've solved a big mystery in our family, thanks. I'm not familiar
with choux pastry. If you have an actual recipe to share I would be
most appreciative. So would my family. Everyone who has ever tried
"our" version (fried) has loved it and it's passed now through many
generations. I'm anxious to try the baked version.

Mary (blondie)
Tacoma, Washington USA

Petra Hildebrandt > wrote in message >...
> blondie wrote:
>
> > I'm searching for a recipe, either German or Austrian, for a sweet
> > that I grew up loving. Basically, it was white yeast bread dough deep
> > fried and served sprinkled with salt, sugar, or powdered sugar. At
> > least, that's how my mother learned to make it. We have since heard
> > that what we made was an interpretation of a German delicacy filled
> > with whipping cream, similar to our cream puffs. We called it Winbeidl
> > (Vin-bydl - now, this is my phonetic spelling, so pardon my errors).
> > It was great served with beer(salt) or coffee (sugar). I would really
> > love to know the true origin. Thanks, Blondie

> It is 'Windbeutel', or wind bag. Usually it is made with brandteig, or
> choux pastry in English, so you could use any basic choux pastry recipe.
>
> The version I know is not fried but baked in the oven until fluffy &
> golden. Cut in half when still warm, and fill with whipped cream. Dust with
> powdered sugar.
>
> HTH,
>
> Petra in Hamburg, Germany

blondie

Petra,

You've solved a big mystery in our family, thanks. I'm not familiar
with choux pastry. If you have an actual recipe to share I would be
most appreciative. So would my family. Everyone who has ever tried
"our" version (fried) has loved it and it's passed now through many
generations. I'm anxious to try the baked version.

Mary (blondie)
Tacoma, Washington USA

Petra Hildebrandt > wrote in message >...
> blondie wrote:
>
> > I'm searching for a recipe, either German or Austrian, for a sweet
> > that I grew up loving. Basically, it was white yeast bread dough deep
> > fried and served sprinkled with salt, sugar, or powdered sugar. At
> > least, that's how my mother learned to make it. We have since heard
> > that what we made was an interpretation of a German delicacy filled
> > with whipping cream, similar to our cream puffs. We called it Winbeidl
> > (Vin-bydl - now, this is my phonetic spelling, so pardon my errors).
> > It was great served with beer(salt) or coffee (sugar). I would really
> > love to know the true origin. Thanks, Blondie

> It is 'Windbeutel', or wind bag. Usually it is made with brandteig, or
> choux pastry in English, so you could use any basic choux pastry recipe.
>
> The version I know is not fried but baked in the oven until fluffy &
> golden. Cut in half when still warm, and fill with whipped cream. Dust with
> powdered sugar.
>
> HTH,
>
> Petra in Hamburg, Germany

blondie

Petra,

You've solved a big mystery in our family, thanks. I'm not familiar
with choux pastry. If you have an actual recipe to share I would be
most appreciative. So would my family. Everyone who has ever tried
"our" version (fried) has loved it and it's passed now through many
generations. I'm anxious to try the baked version.

Mary (blondie)
Tacoma, Washington USA

Petra Hildebrandt > wrote in message >...
> blondie wrote:
>
> > I'm searching for a recipe, either German or Austrian, for a sweet
> > that I grew up loving. Basically, it was white yeast bread dough deep
> > fried and served sprinkled with salt, sugar, or powdered sugar. At
> > least, that's how my mother learned to make it. We have since heard
> > that what we made was an interpretation of a German delicacy filled
> > with whipping cream, similar to our cream puffs. We called it Winbeidl
> > (Vin-bydl - now, this is my phonetic spelling, so pardon my errors).
> > It was great served with beer(salt) or coffee (sugar). I would really
> > love to know the true origin. Thanks, Blondie

> It is 'Windbeutel', or wind bag. Usually it is made with brandteig, or
> choux pastry in English, so you could use any basic choux pastry recipe.
>
> The version I know is not fried but baked in the oven until fluffy &
> golden. Cut in half when still warm, and fill with whipped cream. Dust with
> powdered sugar.
>
> HTH,
>
> Petra in Hamburg, Germany

Petra Hildebrandt

Hi Mary,

> You've solved a big mystery in our family, thanks. I'm not familiar
> with choux pastry. If you have an actual recipe to share I would be
> most appreciative. So would my family. Everyone who has ever tried
> "our" version (fried) has loved it and it's passed now through many
> generations. I'm anxious to try the baked version.

here

http://www.deliasmith.com/cookerysch...0000000022.asp

is a great recipe with step by step pictures.

HTH,

Petra
Petra Hildebrandt

Hi Mary,

> You've solved a big mystery in our family, thanks. I'm not familiar
> with choux pastry. If you have an actual recipe to share I would be
> most appreciative. So would my family. Everyone who has ever tried
> "our" version (fried) has loved it and it's passed now through many
> generations. I'm anxious to try the baked version.

here

http://www.deliasmith.com/cookerysch...0000000022.asp

is a great recipe with step by step pictures.

HTH,

Petra

Petra Hildebrandt

Hi Mary,

> You've solved a big mystery in our family, thanks. I'm not familiar
> with choux pastry. If you have an actual recipe to share I would be
> most appreciative. So would my family. Everyone who has ever tried
> "our" version (fried) has loved it and it's passed now through many
> generations. I'm anxious to try the baked version.

here

http://www.deliasmith.com/cookerysch...0000000022.asp

is a great recipe with step by step pictures.

HTH,

Petra
M. K. Gunn

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFde/inhalt/11/0,...035467,00.html

I am hoping to get this translated later but for now you have this.

"blondie" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi
> I'm searching for a recipe, either German or Austrian, for a sweet
> that I grew up loving. Basically, it was white yeast bread dough deep
> fried and served sprinkled with salt, sugar, or powdered sugar. At
> least, that's how my mother learned to make it. We have since heard
> that what we made was an interpretation of a German delicacy filled
> with whipping cream, similar to our cream puffs. We called it Winbeidl
> (Vin-bydl - now, this is my phonetic spelling, so pardon my errors).
> It was great served with beer(salt) or coffee (sugar). I would really
> love to know the true origin. Thanks, Blondie

M. K. Gunn

http://www.zdf.de/ZDFde/inhalt/11/0,...035467,00.html

I am hoping to get this translated later but for now you have this.

"blondie" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi
> I'm searching for a recipe, either German or Austrian, for a sweet
> that I grew up loving. Basically, it was white yeast bread dough deep
> fried and served sprinkled with salt, sugar, or powdered sugar. At
> least, that's how my mother learned to make it. We have since heard
> that what we made was an interpretation of a German delicacy filled
> with whipping cream, similar to our cream puffs. We called it Winbeidl
> (Vin-bydl - now, this is my phonetic spelling, so pardon my errors).
> It was great served with beer(salt) or coffee (sugar). I would really
> love to know the true origin. Thanks, Blondie

Dave Bell

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, M. K. Gunn wrote:

> http://www.zdf.de/ZDFde/inhalt/11/0,...035467,00.html
>
> I am hoping to get this translated later but for now you have this.

http://babelfish.altavista.com did a half-decent job on it.

One question:

1 Prise Salz = 1 Pinch salt?

From other discussions:
1 TL = 1 Teaspoon
1 EL = 1 Tablespoon

Dave
Dave Bell

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, M. K. Gunn wrote:

> http://www.zdf.de/ZDFde/inhalt/11/0,...035467,00.html
>
> I am hoping to get this translated later but for now you have this.

http://babelfish.altavista.com did a half-decent job on it.

One question:

1 Prise Salz = 1 Pinch salt?

From other discussions:
1 TL = 1 Teaspoon
1 EL = 1 Tablespoon

Dave

Katharina

Yes, 1 Prize Salz is a pinch of salt.
Katharina

Dave Bell

Katharina wrote:
> Yes, 1 Prize Salz is a pinch of salt.
> Katharina

Thanks!
Dave Bell

Katharina wrote:
> Yes, 1 Prize Salz is a pinch of salt.
> Katharina

Thanks!

Delicacy found on Amazon ImStillMags General Cooking 7 11-07-2013 11:23 PM
German wine for German style meal [email protected] General Cooking 9 15-10-2010 10:58 PM
REC: Stuffed Bear's Foot, a Transylvanian delicacy Kate Connally General Cooking 7 25-11-2009 06:28 PM
A matter of some delicacy J Boehm Tea 8 04-12-2004 08:27 PM
Is swan a delicacy? gabadab General Cooking 10 12-02-2004 11:58 PM