Diane W. Saunders

Default Using Powdered Sugar in Crust for Cheesecake

Good afternoon, everyone -- is it at all possible to use powdered
sugar in place of regular sugar in making a crust for cheesecake???
As usual, any and all replies are much appreciated.
Vox Humana

"Diane W. Saunders" > wrote in message
m...
> Good afternoon, everyone -- is it at all possible to use powdered
> sugar in place of regular sugar in making a crust for cheesecake???
> As usual, any and all replies are much appreciated.

There are all types of crusts for cheesecakes ranging from crumb crusts, nut
crusts, shortdough crusts, sponge cake, and probably some that I haven't
mentioned. Without seeing the recipe, it would hard to comment on the
substitution.

Eric Jorgensen

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 19:49:35 GMT
"Vox Humana" > wrote:

> "Diane W. Saunders" > wrote in message
> m...
> > Good afternoon, everyone -- is it at all possible to use powdered
> > sugar in place of regular sugar in making a crust for cheesecake???
> > As usual, any and all replies are much appreciated.

> There are all types of crusts for cheesecakes ranging from crumb crusts,
> nut crusts, shortdough crusts, sponge cake, and probably some that I
> haven't mentioned. Without seeing the recipe, it would hard to comment
> on the substitution.

Come to think of it, I guess i was envisioning a pie crust. somehow i
just didn't parse the word 'cheesecake'. It is friday after all.

powdered sugar mixed with graham cracker crumbs and butter would be Bad.
I think you need granulated for that job.

Diane W. Saunders

Eric Jorgensen > wrote in message news:<20041015135508.5fb403b8@wafer>...
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 19:49:35 GMT
> "Vox Humana" > wrote:
>

> > "Diane W. Saunders" > wrote in message
> > m...
> > > Good afternoon, everyone -- is it at all possible to use powdered
> > > sugar in place of regular sugar in making a crust for cheesecake???
> > > As usual, any and all replies are much appreciated.

> > There are all types of crusts for cheesecakes ranging from crumb crusts,
> > nut crusts, shortdough crusts, sponge cake, and probably some that I
> > haven't mentioned. Without seeing the recipe, it would hard to comment
> > on the substitution.

> Come to think of it, I guess i was envisioning a pie crust. somehow i
> just didn't parse the word 'cheesecake'. It is friday after all.
>
> powdered sugar mixed with graham cracker crumbs and butter would be Bad.
> I think you need granulated for that job.

To answer the recipe question it is the 2 cups graham crackers, 1/2
stick butter and 1/3 cup suger. Anyway, I do appreciate the responses
and I agree with sticking to regular sugar. My mind sometimes flies
away to the outer regions of the universe.
Dave Bell

Eric Jorgensen wrote:

> I guess you could. Reduce the volume maybe 10% and mix it with the
> flour. It's going to contain some corn starch but that's not going to hurt
> anything.

Why the hell do they put cornstarch in it, anyway? Just to make it feel
smooth/silky? For some reason, I never realized it was there, untiul
reading your note. Wouldn't matter, but I'm allergic to corn, just the
starchy parts!

Dave
Dave Bell

Eric Jorgensen wrote:

> I guess you could. Reduce the volume maybe 10% and mix it with the
> flour. It's going to contain some corn starch but that's not going to hurt
> anything.

Why the hell do they put cornstarch in it, anyway? Just to make it feel
smooth/silky? For some reason, I never realized it was there, untiul
reading your note. Wouldn't matter, but I'm allergic to corn, just the
starchy parts!

Dave
Peggy

They put cornstarch in to keep it from clumping.
~Peggy

"Dave Bell" > wrote
> Why the hell do they put cornstarch in it, anyway? Just to make it feel
> smooth/silky? For some reason, I never realized it was there, untiul
> reading your note. Wouldn't matter, but I'm allergic to corn, just the
> starchy parts!
>
> Dave

Peggy

They put cornstarch in to keep it from clumping.
~Peggy

"Dave Bell" > wrote
> Why the hell do they put cornstarch in it, anyway? Just to make it feel
> smooth/silky? For some reason, I never realized it was there, untiul
> reading your note. Wouldn't matter, but I'm allergic to corn, just the
> starchy parts!
>
> Dave

Margaret Suran

Growing up in Vienna, Austria, in the late 1920's and 30's, we had
only two types of sugar, as far as I know: Sugar cubes and powdered
sugar. Only powdered sugar was used for baking, the cubes were for
hot tea and coffee.

I did not follow this thread, but why can powdered or confectioner's
sugar not be used for baking? What does the cornstarch do in the
baking process that makes it unusable for it?

Thank you. M

Jenn Ridley

Margaret Suran > wrote:

>Growing up in Vienna, Austria, in the late 1920's and 30's, we had
>only two types of sugar, as far as I know: Sugar cubes and powdered
>sugar. Only powdered sugar was used for baking, the cubes were for
>hot tea and coffee.
>
>I did not follow this thread, but why can powdered or confectioner's
>sugar not be used for baking? What does the cornstarch do in the
>baking process that makes it unusable for it?

I believe that the Austrian powdered sugar of the 20's isn't the same
as the American 10X sugar. I've no documentation for this, except for
the fact that the Austrian powdered sugar *could* be used for baking.

It's not the cornstarch that makes it unusable for baking. It's the
physical difference between a powder and a granulated solid that makes
powdered sugar unuseable.

Most US baking takes advantage of the way that granulated sugar
behaves when mixed into a dough or batter. Powdered sugar doesn't
work the same way. Powdered sugar doesn't dissolve into liquids or
'melt' into a batter the same way granulated sugar does.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley :
Jenn Ridley

Margaret Suran > wrote:

>Growing up in Vienna, Austria, in the late 1920's and 30's, we had
>only two types of sugar, as far as I know: Sugar cubes and powdered
>sugar. Only powdered sugar was used for baking, the cubes were for
>hot tea and coffee.
>
>I did not follow this thread, but why can powdered or confectioner's
>sugar not be used for baking? What does the cornstarch do in the
>baking process that makes it unusable for it?

I believe that the Austrian powdered sugar of the 20's isn't the same
as the American 10X sugar. I've no documentation for this, except for
the fact that the Austrian powdered sugar *could* be used for baking.

It's not the cornstarch that makes it unusable for baking. It's the
physical difference between a powder and a granulated solid that makes
powdered sugar unuseable.

Most US baking takes advantage of the way that granulated sugar
behaves when mixed into a dough or batter. Powdered sugar doesn't
work the same way. Powdered sugar doesn't dissolve into liquids or
'melt' into a batter the same way granulated sugar does.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley :
Jenn Ridley

Margaret Suran > wrote:

>Growing up in Vienna, Austria, in the late 1920's and 30's, we had
>only two types of sugar, as far as I know: Sugar cubes and powdered
>sugar. Only powdered sugar was used for baking, the cubes were for
>hot tea and coffee.
>
>I did not follow this thread, but why can powdered or confectioner's
>sugar not be used for baking? What does the cornstarch do in the
>baking process that makes it unusable for it?

I believe that the Austrian powdered sugar of the 20's isn't the same
as the American 10X sugar. I've no documentation for this, except for
the fact that the Austrian powdered sugar *could* be used for baking.

It's not the cornstarch that makes it unusable for baking. It's the
physical difference between a powder and a granulated solid that makes
powdered sugar unuseable.

Most US baking takes advantage of the way that granulated sugar
behaves when mixed into a dough or batter. Powdered sugar doesn't
work the same way. Powdered sugar doesn't dissolve into liquids or
'melt' into a batter the same way granulated sugar does.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley :

Dave Bell

Jenn Ridley wrote:
> It's not the cornstarch that makes it unusable for baking. It's the
> physical difference between a powder and a granulated solid that makes
> powdered sugar unuseable.
>
> Most US baking takes advantage of the way that granulated sugar
> behaves when mixed into a dough or batter. Powdered sugar doesn't
> work the same way. Powdered sugar doesn't dissolve into liquids or
> 'melt' into a batter the same way granulated sugar does.
> jenn

My experience, also. Seems to contradict physics, with the enormously
higher surface area of powdered sugar,as compared to granulated!

I think the next time I need powdered, it comes from the blender or
coffee mill... (whirly-blade; the burr grinder stays for coffee!)

Dave
Dave Bell

Jenn Ridley wrote:
> It's not the cornstarch that makes it unusable for baking. It's the
> physical difference between a powder and a granulated solid that makes
> powdered sugar unuseable.
>
> Most US baking takes advantage of the way that granulated sugar
> behaves when mixed into a dough or batter. Powdered sugar doesn't
> work the same way. Powdered sugar doesn't dissolve into liquids or
> 'melt' into a batter the same way granulated sugar does.
> jenn

My experience, also. Seems to contradict physics, with the enormously
higher surface area of powdered sugar,as compared to granulated!

I think the next time I need powdered, it comes from the blender or
coffee mill... (whirly-blade; the burr grinder stays for coffee!)

Dave
Dave Bell

Jenn Ridley wrote:
> It's not the cornstarch that makes it unusable for baking. It's the
> physical difference between a powder and a granulated solid that makes
> powdered sugar unuseable.
>
> Most US baking takes advantage of the way that granulated sugar
> behaves when mixed into a dough or batter. Powdered sugar doesn't
> work the same way. Powdered sugar doesn't dissolve into liquids or
> 'melt' into a batter the same way granulated sugar does.
> jenn

My experience, also. Seems to contradict physics, with the enormously
higher surface area of powdered sugar,as compared to granulated!

I think the next time I need powdered, it comes from the blender or
coffee mill... (whirly-blade; the burr grinder stays for coffee!)

Dave
Margaret Suran

Dave Bell wrote:
> Jenn Ridley wrote:
>
>> It's not the cornstarch that makes it unusable for baking. It's the
>> physical difference between a powder and a granulated solid that makes
>> powdered sugar unuseable.
>>
>> Most US baking takes advantage of the way that granulated sugar
>> behaves when mixed into a dough or batter. Powdered sugar doesn't
>> work the same way. Powdered sugar doesn't dissolve into liquids or
>> 'melt' into a batter the same way granulated sugar does. jenn

> My experience, also. Seems to contradict physics, with the enormously
> higher surface area of powdered sugar,as compared to granulated!
>
> I think the next time I need powdered, it comes from the blender or
> coffee mill... (whirly-blade; the burr grinder stays for coffee!)
>
> Dave

Thank you. I do not know whether the powdered sugar of my childhood
was pure or mixed with cornstarch. I was going to use an old recipe
that calls for powdered sugar, but I will use the finest granulated
sugar instead.