OhSojourner

Default Need pie/tart dough recipe

Hello,

Years ago, my grandmother used to bake what was like a cross between a pie and
a tart, using pie filling sandwiched between two rounds of pastry with an open
hole on top. Unfortunately she's passed away, but this year I tried making
some of these tarts on my own. I tried using a regular pie crust recipe and
that didn't work. I tried asking my relatives if they had the recipe for the
dough, and they gave me only a vague measure-by-eye summary, and that didn't
work, either -- it came out too bland-tasting. The only thing they seemed to
remember was that vinegar was used as an ingredient.

From what I remember, the tart pastry was similar to a pie crust, only softer,
chewier, and more flavorful. ...Perhaps sort of like kolache pastry (only not
puffed or layered) -- something that would enhance the flavor of the filling.
Would anyone have a recipe for a pastry that would match this description?
SCUBApix

"OhSojourner" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Years ago, my grandmother used to bake what was like a cross between a pie

and
> a tart, using pie filling sandwiched between two rounds of pastry with an

open
> hole on top. Unfortunately she's passed away, but this year I tried

making
> some of these tarts on my own. I tried using a regular pie crust recipe

and
> that didn't work. I tried asking my relatives if they had the recipe for

the
> dough, and they gave me only a vague measure-by-eye summary, and that

didn't
> work, either -- it came out too bland-tasting. The only thing they seemed

> remember was that vinegar was used as an ingredient.
>
> From what I remember, the tart pastry was similar to a pie crust, only

softer,
> chewier, and more flavorful. ...Perhaps sort of like kolache pastry (only

not
> puffed or layered) -- something that would enhance the flavor of the

filling.
> Would anyone have a recipe for a pastry that would match this description?

For tarts, you want a pate sucree recipe. Basically, flour, sugar, butter
and egg yolks. Check Google. A standard recipe would be:
2 1/2 cups AP flour
3 T sugar
2 sticks unslated butter (1 cup), cut into small pieces
2 large egg yolks
1/4 cup ice water

Put the flour, sugar and a pinch of salt into a food processor fitted with
the steel blade. Pulse a few times to mix. Add the butter and pulse about 10
times, 1 second each pulse. It should look like coarse meal.

With the processor runnng, slowly add the ice water. Finally, drizzle in the
egg yolk. Continue processing until the dough holds together. Divide in half
and chill at least an hour. This should be good for 2 8-10 inch tarts.

The above is from FoodTv.com.

P.S. My 'kolache' are not puffed or layered.

P.P.S. Consider painting the dough with a complimentary jam before adding
the filling. And sprinkle the dough with granulated sugar before baking.

OhSojourner

SCUBA pix wrote:

>"OhSojourner" > wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Years ago, my grandmother used to bake what was like a cross between a

>pie
>and
>> a tart, using pie filling sandwiched between two rounds of pastry with

>an
>open
>> hole on top. Unfortunately she's passed away, but this year I tried

>making
>> some of these tarts on my own. I tried using a regular pie crust recipe

>and
>> that didn't work. I tried asking my relatives if they had the recipe

>for
>the
>> dough, and they gave me only a vague measure-by-eye summary, and that

>didn't
>> work, either -- it came out too bland-tasting. The only thing they seemed

>> remember was that vinegar was used as an ingredient.
>>
>> From what I remember, the tart pastry was similar to a pie crust, only

>softer,
>> chewier, and more flavorful. ...Perhaps sort of like kolache pastry (only

>not
>> puffed or layered) -- something that would enhance the flavor of the

>filling.
>> Would anyone have a recipe for a pastry that would match this description?

>For tarts, you want a pate sucree recipe.

If you mean like this:
http://www.pasticceriatorino.it/engl.../engfrutta.htm --
that's not what I'm looking for; I'm thinking more along the lines of Pop
Tarts -- more like a fruit-filled cookie you can eat without a fork (except
the dough didn't taste like a cookie). From what I remember, the dough was
soft and chewy, didn't have the stiff or crumbly texture of a regular pie
crust, and had a bit more flavor.

>Basically, flour, sugar, butter
>and egg yolks. Check Google. A standard recipe would be:
>2 1/2 cups AP flour
>3 T sugar
>2 sticks unslated butter (1 cup), cut into small pieces
>2 large egg yolks
>1/4 cup ice water
>
>Put the flour, sugar and a pinch of salt into a food processor fitted with
>the steel blade. Pulse a few times to mix. Add the butter and pulse about
>10
>times, 1 second each pulse. It should look like coarse meal.
>
>With the processor runnng, slowly add the ice water. Finally, drizzle in
>the
>egg yolk. Continue processing until the dough holds together. Divide in
>half
>and chill at least an hour. This should be good for 2 8-10 inch tarts.
>
>The above is from FoodTv.com.
>
>P.S. My 'kolache' are not puffed or layered.
>
>P.P.S. Consider painting the dough with a complimentary jam before adding
>the filling. And sprinkle the dough with granulated sugar before baking.

Peggy

If vinegar was used, she probably used a lard-based dough. I make one that
I got from "The Pastry Bible"
1 1/3 c all purpose flour
1/2 c (cut into 1 tbsp size chunks) very cold lard
1/2tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder

whiz these around in a food processor briefly - until lard is pea sized
pieces.

1/4 c ice water
2 tsp vinegar

drizzle in, while intermittently whizzing the flour mixture in the food
processor (the key is to not over process the lard, thus keeping "pockets"
of animal fat in the dough which will make it flaky)

Add more ice water if it's too crumbly

gather the dough into a ball, then flatten the ball, wrap and refrigerate
for at least 1 hour and up to a day or 2.

After rolling out and forming your pastries, let the dough rest again in the
fridge for 30 minutes to avoid it shrinking.

*the key to good pie crust is patience (let it rest and be careful not to
overmix) and having your ingredients and tools ice cold

However: most tarts are made with a dough that includes egg yolk and some
sugar, so perhaps you should lean in that direction. Search "pate sucre" on
google.

"OhSojourner" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> Years ago, my grandmother used to bake what was like a cross between a pie

and
> a tart, using pie filling sandwiched between two rounds of pastry with an

open
> hole on top. Unfortunately she's passed away, but this year I tried

making
> some of these tarts on my own. I tried using a regular pie crust recipe

and
> that didn't work. I tried asking my relatives if they had the recipe for

the
> dough, and they gave me only a vague measure-by-eye summary, and that

didn't
> work, either -- it came out too bland-tasting. The only thing they seemed

> remember was that vinegar was used as an ingredient.
>
> From what I remember, the tart pastry was similar to a pie crust, only

softer,
> chewier, and more flavorful. ...Perhaps sort of like kolache pastry (only

not
> puffed or layered) -- something that would enhance the flavor of the

filling.
> Would anyone have a recipe for a pastry that would match this description?

Help with search: cheery tart recipe?? Ferrante General Cooking 3 05-10-2005 10:12 PM
PING **sf** - Tart Recipe TammyM General Cooking 1 01-08-2005 09:10 PM
Sweet Tart Dough (with Chocolate Variation) Edoc Recipes (moderated) 0 09-05-2004 11:24 PM
Creme Brulee Tart Recipe YKS Baking 1 14-04-2004 02:03 AM
Recipe for Rustic Tomato Tart Appkiller General Cooking 0 10-10-2003 01:37 PM