OhSojourner

Default Need pie/tart dough recipe

SCUBA pix wrote:

>"OhSojourner" > wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> Years ago, my grandmother used to bake what was like a cross between a

>pie
>and
>> a tart, using pie filling sandwiched between two rounds of pastry with

>an
>open
>> hole on top. Unfortunately she's passed away, but this year I tried

>making
>> some of these tarts on my own. I tried using a regular pie crust recipe

>and
>> that didn't work. I tried asking my relatives if they had the recipe

>for
>the
>> dough, and they gave me only a vague measure-by-eye summary, and that

>didn't
>> work, either -- it came out too bland-tasting. The only thing they seemed

>> remember was that vinegar was used as an ingredient.
>>
>> From what I remember, the tart pastry was similar to a pie crust, only

>softer,
>> chewier, and more flavorful. ...Perhaps sort of like kolache pastry (only

>not
>> puffed or layered) -- something that would enhance the flavor of the

>filling.
>> Would anyone have a recipe for a pastry that would match this description?

>For tarts, you want a pate sucree recipe.

If you mean like this:
http://www.pasticceriatorino.it/engl.../engfrutta.htm --
that's not what I'm looking for; I'm thinking more along the lines of Pop
Tarts -- more like a fruit-filled cookie you can eat without a fork (except
the dough didn't taste like a cookie). From what I remember, the dough was
soft and chewy, didn't have the stiff or crumbly texture of a regular pie
crust, and had a bit more flavor.