OhSojourner

Default Need pie/tart dough recipe

Hello,

Years ago, my grandmother used to bake what was like a cross between a pie and
a tart, using pie filling sandwiched between two rounds of pastry with an open
hole on top. Unfortunately she's passed away, but this year I tried making
some of these tarts on my own. I tried using a regular pie crust recipe and
that didn't work. I tried asking my relatives if they had the recipe for the
dough, and they gave me only a vague measure-by-eye summary, and that didn't
work, either -- it came out too bland-tasting. The only thing they seemed to
remember was that vinegar was used as an ingredient.

From what I remember, the tart pastry was similar to a pie crust, only softer,
chewier, and more flavorful. ...Perhaps sort of like kolache pastry (only not
puffed or layered) -- something that would enhance the flavor of the filling.
Would anyone have a recipe for a pastry that would match this description?