Darrin and Andrea Gerson

Default Cheesecake question

Hello there. I have a couple of cheesecake questions that I hope somebody
on here could answer.

1) I'd like to bake the cheesecake in a water bath (of the few I've made,
this seems to work the best), but the recipe I have (Banana Nut Cheesecake)
does not call for a water bath. Do I need to change the temperature? the
cooking time? by how much? etc...

2) The only recipes I could find on recipesource.com (the granddaddy of
recipe sites) for Banana Nut Cheesecake (aside: the family has been begging
for this...not my cup of tea), calls for using margerine to make the crust.
I typically like using butter rather than margerine (tastes better and I'm
sort of creeped out by the idea of whipped oil). Question is, can I simply
replace? same amount?

Oh, and if somebody has a recipe for Banana Nut Cheesecake that they swear
by, PLEASE let me know. Thanks in advance.

Darrin

Vox Humana

"Darrin and Andrea Gerson" > wrote in message
t...
> Hello there. I have a couple of cheesecake questions that I hope somebody
> on here could answer.
>
> 1) I'd like to bake the cheesecake in a water bath (of the few I've made,
> this seems to work the best), but the recipe I have (Banana Nut

Cheesecake)
> does not call for a water bath. Do I need to change the temperature? the
> cooking time? by how much? etc...
>
> 2) The only recipes I could find on recipesource.com (the granddaddy of
> recipe sites) for Banana Nut Cheesecake (aside: the family has been

begging
> for this...not my cup of tea), calls for using margerine to make the

crust.
> I typically like using butter rather than margerine (tastes better and I'm
> sort of creeped out by the idea of whipped oil). Question is, can I

simply
> replace? same amount?
>
> Oh, and if somebody has a recipe for Banana Nut Cheesecake that they swear
> by, PLEASE let me know. Thanks in advance.

It's sort of hard to tell someone if they should change the temperature when
they don't list the temperature. In general, cheesecakes are baked at a
rather low temperature. The water bath assures that the temperature around
the cake will not rise above 212F regardless of the temperature of the oven.
The risk of baking at too high a temperature while using a water bath is
that the top will brown too much or set too early. My general advice would
be to leave the temperature alone and monitor the top for browning.

Margarine is not a monolithic product. Most items that people think of as
"margarine" are actually "spreads." If you are truly using margarine which
should be 80% fat, then you can easily substitute butter. In any case, I
would just use butter. You are only making a thin crust and it will make
very little difference what fat you use in a crumb crust. I like to make a
sponge layer under my cheesecake.

I don't have a recipe for banana nut cheesecake but if you have a cheesecake
that you like, I would recommend that you just add a cup of mashed banana
pulp to the batter. If that doesn't make the flavor strong enough, you might
consider using some banana extract and/or substituting some of the liquid in
the recipe with banana liquor. The addition of the nuts should make very
little difference no matter what recipe you use as they are just suspended
in the batter.

If you don't want to experiment with your favorite recipe, you might check
out this search for banana cheesecakes. If you won't nuts, just add some.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...pe&btnG=Search

Darrin and Andrea Gerson

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> [...]

> very little difference what fat you use in a crumb crust. I like to make

> sponge layer under my cheesecake.
>
> I don't have a recipe for banana nut cheesecake but if you have a

cheesecake
> that you like, I would recommend that you just add a cup of mashed banana
> pulp to the batter. If that doesn't make the flavor strong enough, you

might
> consider using some banana extract and/or substituting some of the liquid

in
> the recipe with banana liquor. The addition of the nuts should make very
> little difference no matter what recipe you use as they are just suspended
> in the batter.
>
> If you don't want to experiment with your favorite recipe, you might check
> out this search for banana cheesecakes. If you won't nuts, just add some.

Thanks for the response! The recipe I have calls for 350 for 40 minutes.

Darrin

Nexis

"Darrin and Andrea Gerson" > wrote in message
t...
> Hello there. I have a couple of cheesecake questions that I hope somebody
> on here could answer.
>
> 1) I'd like to bake the cheesecake in a water bath (of the few I've made,
> this seems to work the best), but the recipe I have (Banana Nut

Cheesecake)
> does not call for a water bath. Do I need to change the temperature? the
> cooking time? by how much? etc...

Going by the various recipes I have, it doesn't seem to me as if you'd need
to change the temperature. Cooking time always varies with cheesecakes, so
it's best to wait until 10 minutes before it is supposed to be done, and
check it every 5-8 minutes. The center should still move a little when
jiggled, but the outer 1 1/2 inches should be firm.

> 2) The only recipes I could find on recipesource.com (the granddaddy of
> recipe sites) for Banana Nut Cheesecake (aside: the family has been

begging
> for this...not my cup of tea), calls for using margerine to make the

crust.
> I typically like using butter rather than margerine (tastes better and I'm
> sort of creeped out by the idea of whipped oil). Question is, can I

simply
> replace? same amount?

Yes, by all means, replace that margarine with butter. I mean, I could tell
you to use Smart Balance for baking, but when it comes to cheesecake, lowfat
isn't exactly the goal, right? Same amount, just swap it out.

> Oh, and if somebody has a recipe for Banana Nut Cheesecake that they swear
> by, PLEASE let me know. Thanks in advance.
>
> Darrin

This is the one I made for my brother in law's birthday. It was a huge hit,
and if you throw the pecans for the topping in a skillet with a bit of
cinnamon, brown sugar, and a touch of butter, you can candy them quickly,
adding another layer of flavor.

Banana Nut Caramel Cheesecake

Ingredients:

1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted, and divided in half + 2 quarters (1/2 cup,
1/4 cup, 1/4 cup)
2 cups sugar, divided
1 cup of butter
2 pounds of cream cheese
1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping, divided
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 eggs (bring to room temp, about 1 hr, prior to making batter)
1 cup mashed banana, very ripe

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray pan with cooking spray
2. Mix together graham cracker crumbs, pecans and 1 cup of sugar. Add
butter and mix until all holds together. Press in pan on bottom and about 1
inch up the sides
3. Mix together cream cheese until smooth then add in 1 cup sugar and beat
until fluffy. Add 1/4 cup of the caramel topping and cinnamon until blended
well. Make sure it is smooth now; once you add the eggs it is almost
impossible to get lumps out.
4. Add eggs one at a time making sure the egg is well blended before adding
the next egg. Add banana and remaining pecans, and mix well. Pour into
crust.
5. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes until the center is almost firm.
Cool on wire rack for 30 minutes then refrigerate for 2-4 hours.
6. Remove from fridge, and slightly warm remaining caramel topping. Drizzle
with a fork over the surface of the cheesecake. Sprinkle with remaining
nuts. Chill until 15 min prior to serving.

Enjoy!

kimberly

Nexis