york

Default why not butter?

Hi,

I just took my first Wilton cake decorating class yesterday (Sun
1/11/04)and I read in the course 1 book that I shouldn't use butter to
grease my pan. Why is that?

Thanks,

Corinna York
Vox Humana

"york" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi,
>
> I just took my first Wilton cake decorating class yesterday (Sun
> 1/11/04)and I read in the course 1 book that I shouldn't use butter to
> grease my pan. Why is that?
>
> Thanks

You can use butter, but this is one area where shortening (Crisco) is
better. Solid shortenings melt at a higher temperature and will remain on
the surface of the pan longer. Butter not only has a lower melting point,
but it has water, sugar, and proteins, none of which are helpful. In fact,
the sugar and proteins are a bit sticky. Therefore, to ensure release, you
should use shortening. If you bake frequently, you might consider making
some pan grease. This is equal amounts (by volume, i.e., one cup each) of
flour and shortening. You can beat them together in your mixer and store in
a tightly covered container for a few month. When you need to grease and
flour a pan, you can brush this mixture on with a paintbrush.

Darrell Grainger

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, york wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just took my first Wilton cake decorating class yesterday (Sun
> 1/11/04)and I read in the course 1 book that I shouldn't use butter to
> grease my pan. Why is that?

At around 212 degrees butter will begin to foam as the inherent water
evaporates. Around 380 degrees butter will begin to scorch. You want to
use something with a higher smoke point.

> Thanks,
> Corinna York

Don't send e-mail to
Amal Shookup

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message >...
> You can use butter, but this is one area where shortening (Crisco) is
> better. Solid shortenings melt at a higher temperature and will remain on
> the surface of the pan longer. Butter not only has a lower melting point,
> but it has water, sugar, and proteins, none of which are helpful. In fact,
> the sugar and proteins are a bit sticky. Therefore, to ensure release, you
> should use shortening.

If it's the protein & stuff that burns, then shouldn't clarified butter/ghee work?

Vox Humana

"Amal Shookup" > wrote in message
. ..
> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> > You can use butter, but this is one area where shortening (Crisco) is
> > better. Solid shortenings melt at a higher temperature and will remain

on
> > the surface of the pan longer. Butter not only has a lower melting

point,
> > but it has water, sugar, and proteins, none of which are helpful. In

fact,
> > the sugar and proteins are a bit sticky. Therefore, to ensure release,

you
> > should use shortening.

> If it's the protein & stuff that burns, then shouldn't clarified

butter/ghee work?

You can use ghee. I think the information you got was poorly stated. As I
said, you can use butter (or vegetable oil) but solid shortening is the BEST
choice. You can get a thicker film of shortening than you can with liquids
like oil or ghee. If you are determined to use butter and it works well for
you then by all means use the butter. I don't always agree with the
conclusions of others. If I find something that works, I go with it.

Darryl L. Pierce

york wrote:

> I just took my first Wilton cake decorating class yesterday (Sun
> 1/11/04)and I read in the course 1 book that I shouldn't use butter to
> grease my pan. Why is that?

Butter contains water, which will affect your dish. Also, butter has a lower
smoking point than, say, shortening and can burn, affecting the taste of
the dish.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
H. W. Hans Kuntze

Darryl L. Pierce wrote:

>york wrote:
> =20
>
>>I just took my first Wilton cake decorating class yesterday (Sun
>>1/11/04)and I read in the course 1 book that I shouldn't use butter to
>>grease my pan. Why is that?
>> =20
>>

>Butter contains water, which will affect your dish. Also, butter has a l=

ower
>smoking point than, say, shortening and can burn, affecting the taste of=

>the dish.=20

This will only be of considration if you try to season an unfilled pan.

If you grease a pan and fill with cake batter, how hot will the thing get=
?
As long as there is moisture in the cake, just a little bit hotter than=20
the baking batter.
Provided you are not intent on making charcoal.

Although the easiest things are most complicated, I think the Wilton=20
people need to explain themselves.

Who want's to use hydrogebated, hardened Trans-CIS fats, besides Loretta =

Lynn?

--=20
Grue$$e.

C=3D=A6-)=A7 H. W. Hans Kuntze, CMC, S.g.K. (_o_)
" Strive for excellence in your life & reject being a doormat to others. =
Serve God. "
http://www.cmcchef.com
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/=20

Darryl L. Pierce

H. W. Hans Kuntze wrote:

>>>I just took my first Wilton cake decorating class yesterday (Sun
>>>1/11/04)and I read in the course 1 book that I shouldn't use butter to
>>>grease my pan. Why is that?

>>Butter contains water, which will affect your dish. Also, butter has a
>>lower smoking point than, say, shortening and can burn, affecting the
>>taste of the dish.
>>

> This will only be of considration if you try to season an unfilled pan.
>
> If you grease a pan and fill with cake batter, how hot will the thing get?

The metal of the pan will conduct heat to the cake and will reach the
temperature of the surrounding air. The batter will absorb most of this
heat but will still be close to the temperature of the pan at the outer
edges. Assuming the butter doesn't get absorbed into the batter (which
would rather make it useless) it's going to be between the batter and the
pan and be affected by the exchange of heat.

> As long as there is moisture in the cake, just a little bit hotter than
> the baking batter.
> Provided you are not intent on making charcoal.

You've never had my cakes. <j/k>?