Old 01-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Dee Randall

Default English Muffin Bread

Scald the milk and let cool until warm (110F).

I heard on one of the cooking shows that scalding milk is no longer
necessary, as all milk now is pasteurized. I suppose one has to still keep
it in the recipe for those in the country who are taking their milk right
from the barn or buying it locally from the neighbors' barns.

Dee

"Floyd Farcus" wrote in message

We enjoy this!

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

English Muffin Bread

breads

1 pkg dry yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup water, 105f.
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk
2 2/3 cup flour
yellow cornmeal

Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm water (105F). Let stand until the
yeast foams in about 5 minutes.

Scald the milk and let cool until warm (110F).

Add the salt, milk and just under 1/2 of the flour. Beat until smooth and
elastic. Beat in the remaining flour to make a dough that is stiff but too
soft of knead.

Grease a 8 x 4 x 2 " loaf pan. Sprinkle the inside of the pan with
cornmeal. Turn the batter into the pan and pat the top smooth. Dust

lightly
with cornmeal.

Let the dough rise, uncovered, until the dough almost fills the pan (about
45 minutes).

Preheat oven to 375F. Bake until golden and the loaf tests done (about 30
minutes). Remove from pan and cool.

Yield: 1 loaf

Old 01-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Mike Avery

On 1 Jan 2004 at 10:11, Dee Randall wrote:

Scald the milk and let cool until warm (110F).

I heard on one of the cooking shows that scalding milk is no longer
necessary, as all milk now is pasteurized. I suppose one has to still
keep it in the recipe for those in the country who are taking their
milk right from the barn or buying it locally from the neighbors'
barns.

And I was told that pasteurization doesn't denature the critical
enzymes. Laurel Robertson (of "Breads from Laurel's Kitchen" fame)
suggests that dehydrated milk be reconstituted, and then scalded.
Some here have said when the scald the milk, they get a better rise.

Mike
--
Mike Avery

ICQ: 16241692 AOL IM:MAvery81230
Phone: 970-642-0280
* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other
way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day From
'The Code of The West, A Cowboy's Guide to Life' by Texas Bix
Bender
There's more ways to skin a cat than stickin' his head in a boot jack
and jerkin' on his tail.

Old 02-01-2004, 04:35 AM
alzelt

Mike Avery wrote:
On 1 Jan 2004 at 10:11, Dee Randall wrote:

Scald the milk and let cool until warm (110F).

I heard on one of the cooking shows that scalding milk is no longer
necessary, as all milk now is pasteurized. I suppose one has to still
keep it in the recipe for those in the country who are taking their
milk right from the barn or buying it locally from the neighbors'
barns.

And I was told that pasteurization doesn't denature the critical
enzymes. Laurel Robertson (of "Breads from Laurel's Kitchen" fame)
suggests that dehydrated milk be reconstituted, and then scalded.
Some here have said when the scald the milk, they get a better rise.

Mike

Greenstein has stated that scalding is no longer necessary today. I can
live with his statements, and do, with great results.

--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

English Muffin Bread Boron Elgar Sourdough 5 15-01-2009 01:32 AM
English Muffin Bread 2 Tim Recipes 0 13-06-2005 01:27 PM
ENGLISH MUFFIN BREAD Tim Recipes 0 13-06-2005 01:27 PM
English Muffin Batter Bread Tim Recipes 0 13-06-2005 01:27 PM
English Muffin Bread Magnolia House B&B Sumter SC [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 19-12-2003 03:01 PM