Mike Avery

Default English Muffin Bread

On 1 Jan 2004 at 10:11, Dee Randall wrote:

> > Scald the milk and let cool until warm (110F).>

> I heard on one of the cooking shows that scalding milk is no longer
> necessary, as all milk now is pasteurized. I suppose one has to still
> keep it in the recipe for those in the country who are taking their
> milk right from the barn or buying it locally from the neighbors'
> barns.

And I was told that pasteurization doesn't denature the critical
enzymes. Laurel Robertson (of "Breads from Laurel's Kitchen" fame)
suggests that dehydrated milk be reconstituted, and then scalded.
Some here have said when the scald the milk, they get a better rise.

Mike
--
Mike Avery

ICQ: 16241692 AOL IM:MAvery81230
Phone: 970-642-0280
* Spam is for lusers who can't get business any other
way *

A Randomly Selected Thought For The Day From
'The Code of The West, A Cowboy's Guide to Life' by Texas Bix
Bender
There's more ways to skin a cat than stickin' his head in a boot jack
and jerkin' on his tail.