GingerRose

Default Best stand mixer?

I have started to do ALOT of home baking lately and am interested in buying
a new stand mixer. I have looked at Kitchenaid and Viking. As you would
expect, the recommendations are mixed. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks,
GingerRose

Vox Humana

"GingerRose" > wrote in message
> I have started to do ALOT of home baking lately and am interested in

buying
> a new stand mixer. I have looked at Kitchenaid and Viking. As you would
> expect, the recommendations are mixed. Any thoughts or recommendations?

The Viking is rather new and I haven't seen any reviews. I have a 5 qt.
Kitchenaid that is about 15 years old. It doesn't appear to be one made by
Hobart. I don't have any complaints, but people have reported problems with
more recent models. I think it hinges on what kind of things you bake. If
you are baking large batches of heavy bread (like whole wheat) then you need
a really sturdy machine. Batters, cookie dough, and smaller batches of
light body bread dough will not challenge the mixer and can probably be
mixed with about any machine. You could add the Bosch, Magic Mill, and
Kenwood/Delong mixers to that list. If you would consider an off brand, HSN
has a Wolfgang Puck brand mixer (700 watt, comes with two bowls, and is
commercially rated, what ever that means) for a good price. It is all metal
and has some interesting features. http://tinyurl.com/58r8w HSN has a 30
return policy which includes the refund of the shipping charge.

Vox Humana

"GingerRose" > wrote in message
> I have started to do ALOT of home baking lately and am interested in

buying
> a new stand mixer. I have looked at Kitchenaid and Viking. As you would
> expect, the recommendations are mixed. Any thoughts or recommendations?

The Viking is rather new and I haven't seen any reviews. I have a 5 qt.
Kitchenaid that is about 15 years old. It doesn't appear to be one made by
Hobart. I don't have any complaints, but people have reported problems with
more recent models. I think it hinges on what kind of things you bake. If
you are baking large batches of heavy bread (like whole wheat) then you need
a really sturdy machine. Batters, cookie dough, and smaller batches of
light body bread dough will not challenge the mixer and can probably be
mixed with about any machine. You could add the Bosch, Magic Mill, and
Kenwood/Delong mixers to that list. If you would consider an off brand, HSN
has a Wolfgang Puck brand mixer (700 watt, comes with two bowls, and is
commercially rated, what ever that means) for a good price. It is all metal
and has some interesting features. http://tinyurl.com/58r8w HSN has a 30
return policy which includes the refund of the shipping charge.

Sailing Fan

Viking is a good 7 qt. Mixer (500). Hamilton Beach is a good 7 qt. mixer
(450). There is a 6 qt mixer by Kitchenaid (400). If you are doing "A
LOT" of baking, don't skimp on a smaller less powerful mixer.

Vox Humana wrote:
> "GingerRose" > wrote in message
>
>>I have started to do ALOT of home baking lately and am interested in

> buying
>
>>a new stand mixer. I have looked at Kitchenaid and Viking. As you would
>>expect, the recommendations are mixed. Any thoughts or recommendations?

> The Viking is rather new and I haven't seen any reviews. I have a 5 qt.
> Kitchenaid that is about 15 years old. It doesn't appear to be one made by
> Hobart. I don't have any complaints, but people have reported problems with
> more recent models. I think it hinges on what kind of things you bake. If
> you are baking large batches of heavy bread (like whole wheat) then you need
> a really sturdy machine. Batters, cookie dough, and smaller batches of
> light body bread dough will not challenge the mixer and can probably be
> mixed with about any machine. You could add the Bosch, Magic Mill, and
> Kenwood/Delong mixers to that list. If you would consider an off brand, HSN
> has a Wolfgang Puck brand mixer (700 watt, comes with two bowls, and is
> commercially rated, what ever that means) for a good price. It is all metal
> and has some interesting features. http://tinyurl.com/58r8w HSN has a 30
> return policy which includes the refund of the shipping charge.

Sailing Fan

Vox Humana wrote:
> "GingerRose" > wrote in message
>
>>I have started to do ALOT of home baking lately and am interested in

> buying
>
>>a new stand mixer. I have looked at Kitchenaid and Viking. As you would
>>expect, the recommendations are mixed. Any thoughts or recommendations?

> The Viking is rather new and I haven't seen any reviews. I have a 5 qt.
> Kitchenaid that is about 15 years old. It doesn't appear to be one made by
> Hobart. I don't have any complaints, but people have reported problems with
> more recent models. I think it hinges on what kind of things you bake. If
> you are baking large batches of heavy bread (like whole wheat) then you need
> a really sturdy machine. Batters, cookie dough, and smaller batches of
> light body bread dough will not challenge the mixer and can probably be
> mixed with about any machine. You could add the Bosch, Magic Mill, and
> Kenwood/Delong mixers to that list. If you would consider an off brand, HSN
> has a Wolfgang Puck brand mixer (700 watt, comes with two bowls, and is
> commercially rated, what ever that means) for a good price. It is all metal
> and has some interesting features. http://tinyurl.com/58r8w HSN has a 30
> return policy which includes the refund of the shipping charge.

Dave Bell

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Sailing Fan wrote:

> Viking is a good 7 qt. Mixer (500). Hamilton Beach is a good 7 qt. mixer
> (450). There is a 6 qt mixer by Kitchenaid (400). If you are doing "A
> LOT" of baking, don't skimp on a smaller less powerful mixer.

Are those figures the Watt ratings?
I'll have to check the nameplate on my Kitchanaid - I didn't realize it
was so wimpy, compared to the 700 W Wolfgang Puck model mentioned!

Dave
Dave Bell

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Sailing Fan wrote:

> Viking is a good 7 qt. Mixer (500). Hamilton Beach is a good 7 qt. mixer
> (450). There is a 6 qt mixer by Kitchenaid (400). If you are doing "A
> LOT" of baking, don't skimp on a smaller less powerful mixer.

Are those figures the Watt ratings?
I'll have to check the nameplate on my Kitchanaid - I didn't realize it
was so wimpy, compared to the 700 W Wolfgang Puck model mentioned!

Dave
GingerRose

Thank you for your reply. I did some on-line shopping and found a Hamilton
Beach mixer on www.selectappliance.com
It sells originally for $720 but they have it for $484.95. Have you heard
anything about this mixer?

Thanks in advance.

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "GingerRose" > wrote in message
> > I have started to do ALOT of home baking lately and am interested in

> buying
> > a new stand mixer. I have looked at Kitchenaid and Viking. As you

would
> > expect, the recommendations are mixed. Any thoughts or recommendations?

> The Viking is rather new and I haven't seen any reviews. I have a 5 qt.
> Kitchenaid that is about 15 years old. It doesn't appear to be one made

by
> Hobart. I don't have any complaints, but people have reported problems

with
> more recent models. I think it hinges on what kind of things you bake.

If
> you are baking large batches of heavy bread (like whole wheat) then you

need
> a really sturdy machine. Batters, cookie dough, and smaller batches of
> light body bread dough will not challenge the mixer and can probably be
> mixed with about any machine. You could add the Bosch, Magic Mill, and
> Kenwood/Delong mixers to that list. If you would consider an off brand,

HSN
> has a Wolfgang Puck brand mixer (700 watt, comes with two bowls, and is
> commercially rated, what ever that means) for a good price. It is all

metal
> and has some interesting features. http://tinyurl.com/58r8w HSN has a

30
> return policy which includes the refund of the shipping charge.

Kenneth

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:07:30 +0200, "GingerRose" >
wrote:

>I have started to do ALOT of home baking lately and am interested in buying
>a new stand mixer. I have looked at Kitchenaid and Viking. As you would
>expect, the recommendations are mixed. Any thoughts or recommendations?
>
>Thanks,
>GingerRose

Howdy,

I don't know where you are located, but if I were in your situation
(and had the time), I would look for a small used Hobart. They do
occasionally come available and are true work horses...

All the best,

--
Kenneth

Vox Humana

"GingerRose" > wrote in message
> Thank you for your reply. I did some on-line shopping and found a Hamilton
> Beach mixer on www.selectappliance.com
> It sells originally for $720 but they have it for $484.95. Have you heard
> anything about this mixer?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I believe someone mentioned it here in the past. You could do a search on
Google Groups. If you are interested in the Hamilton Beach, I did a quick
search and found the five quart model for $334
http://store.yahoo.com/comfort/cuisblenfood.html
and the seven quart mode for $434
http://store.yahoo.com/comfort/cuisproclasf.html

Vox Humana

"GingerRose" > wrote in message
> Thank you for your reply. I did some on-line shopping and found a Hamilton
> Beach mixer on www.selectappliance.com
> It sells originally for $720 but they have it for $484.95. Have you heard
> anything about this mixer?
>
> Thanks in advance.

I believe someone mentioned it here in the past. You could do a search on
Google Groups. If you are interested in the Hamilton Beach, I did a quick
search and found the five quart model for $334
http://store.yahoo.com/comfort/cuisblenfood.html
and the seven quart mode for $434
http://store.yahoo.com/comfort/cuisproclasf.html

Sailing Fan

Not watts, price.

Dave Bell wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Sailing Fan wrote:
>

>>Viking is a good 7 qt. Mixer (500). Hamilton Beach is a good 7 qt. mixer
>>(450). There is a 6 qt mixer by Kitchenaid (400). If you are doing "A
>>LOT" of baking, don't skimp on a smaller less powerful mixer.

> Are those figures the Watt ratings?
> I'll have to check the nameplate on my Kitchanaid - I didn't realize it
> was so wimpy, compared to the 700 W Wolfgang Puck model mentioned!
>
> Dave

I now have a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer phaeton General Cooking 18 17-06-2009 09:44 PM
Stand mixer limey Cooking Equipment 4 15-07-2005 01:00 AM
Stand mixer limey General Cooking 3 15-07-2005 12:51 AM
Which KA stand mixer? [email protected] Cooking Equipment 9 06-07-2005 08:58 PM
Stand Mixer jmk Cooking Equipment 7 14-04-2004 01:28 AM