DigitalVinyl

Default Gelatin sheet vs. gelatin envelope

I found a recipe that includes a white chocolate mousse. However the
recipe calls for two "gelatin sheets". All I could find were envelopes
(4 envelopes = 1 oz). Anyone know what the translation is between
sheets and the Knox gelatin envelopes? 1 for 1?

the white mousse ingredients are as follows:

6 oz. white chocolate
2 oz. butter
1 oz. water
2 gelatin sheets
3 eggs separated
4 oz. cream
3 oz. sugar

Thanks.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Jenn Ridley

DigitalVinyl > wrote:

>I found a recipe that includes a white chocolate mousse. However the
>recipe calls for two "gelatin sheets". All I could find were envelopes
>(4 envelopes = 1 oz). Anyone know what the translation is between
>sheets and the Knox gelatin envelopes? 1 for 1?

A quick google (www.google.com, type in "gelatin sheets" with the
quotes) yields this:
:There are two basic types of gelatin. The gelatin most common in the
:United States comes in a powdered form, which is widely available in
remeasured envelopes. European gelatin, which takes the form of
:clear, paper-thin leaves, is generally only available in bakery-supply
:stores and some specialty shops, hence your fruitless search. The two
:types are completely interchangeable. As a rule, four sheets of leaf
:gelatin are equal to one 1/4-ounce envelope or 1 tablespoon of
:granulated gelatin. This is enough to gel 2 cups of liquid.

:Flavorless and colorless, gelatin activates when moistened. It must
:first be dissolved in a cold liquid for about five minutes to soften
:and swell the granules so they'll dissolve smoothly when heated.

:If you find yourself using gelatin only sporadically, don't worry. It
:will last indefinitely if wrapped airtight and stored in a cool, dry
lace.

hth

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley

Richard Kaszeta

DigitalVinyl > writes:
> I found a recipe that includes a white chocolate mousse. However the
> recipe calls for two "gelatin sheets". All I could find were envelopes
> (4 envelopes = 1 oz). Anyone know what the translation is between
> sheets and the Knox gelatin envelopes? 1 for 1?

For the sheets I use (King Arthur) the equivalence is five sheets
equals one envelope.

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
DigitalVinyl

After a couple of dead-ends, found this in a cooking Q&A:

DigitalVinyl > wrote:

>I found a recipe that includes a white chocolate mousse. However the
>recipe calls for two "gelatin sheets". All I could find were envelopes
>(4 envelopes = 1 oz). Anyone know what the translation is between
>sheets and the Knox gelatin envelopes? 1 for 1?
>
>the white mousse ingredients are as follows:
>
>6 oz. white chocolate
>2 oz. butter
>1 oz. water
>2 gelatin sheets
>3 eggs separated
>4 oz. cream
>3 oz. sugar
>
>Thanks.
>
>DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)
Victor Sack

DigitalVinyl > wrote:

> I found a recipe that includes a white chocolate mousse. However the
> recipe calls for two "gelatin sheets". All I could find were envelopes
> (4 envelopes = 1 oz). Anyone know what the translation is between
> sheets and the Knox gelatin envelopes? 1 for 1?

See section 2.7.4 of the rec.food.cooking FAQ.

Victor