Old 12-12-2003, 12:47 AM
mark

Default how to make scrones at starbucks

Anyone know how to make scrones that are sold at starbucks. I used very
little water and the stuff just becomes one big cookie.

Old 12-12-2003, 05:54 AM
Wayne Boatwright

"mark" wrote in news:[email protected]:

Anyone know how to make scrones that are sold at starbucks. I used very
little water and the stuff just becomes one big cookie.

I doubt anyone here would have a clue since we don't know what recipe
you're using. Post it and we can probably solve your problem.

Wayne
Old 12-12-2003, 07:14 AM
mark

2 cups flour
1 1/4 cup brown and white sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup olive oil
some baking powder
1/2 cup water
some powdered milk

Is it posable to use almost no water at all.

Ps I'm very new to baking

. ..

Old 12-12-2003, 07:32 AM
Wayne Boatwright

"mark" wrote in news:[email protected]:

2 cups flour
1 1/4 cup brown and white sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup olive oil
some baking powder
1/2 cup water
some powdered milk

Is it posable to use almost no water at all.

Ps I'm very new to baking

To stay with the same recipe, I would definitely reduce the water and
increase only as needed. The eggs and oil already contribute
considerable moisture. You only need enough water to make the dough
hold together. I would start with 3-4 tablespoons (1/2 cup = 8
tablespoons). You didn't say how to mix them, but I would toss all dry
ingredients together first. Then lightly beat the eggs and oil together
and toss together with the dry mixture with a fork or with two forks,
until even distributed. Add 3 tablespoons of the water, continuing to
toss with the forks. Only add additional water 1 tablespoon at a time
until dough can be pressed together without falling apart. At this
point, knead the dough lightly on a floured surface, then pat into a
circle and cut in wedges. This should work.

Having said all that. I bake many types of scones and have eaten some
of Starbucks a couple of times. I think they're terribly dry. One of
my favorite recipes is listed below. Perhaps you'd also like to try it.
I have absolutely never had a problem with it baking up nicely.

Note: In my recipe... buttermilk is thicker than water and butter is
obviously firmer than oil. The dough, therefore, is very workable with
the specified amounts.

Wayne

* Exported from MasterCook *

Currant Scones

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breads Ethnic

2 c Flour
2 ts Baking powder
1/2 ts Baking soda
1/2 ts Salt
1/2 ts Ground nutmeg
8 tb (1 stick) cold unsalted
-butter, cut up
1 c Currants
2 tb Sugar
1 Yolk of a large egg
3/4 c Buttermilk or plain yogurt
1 White of a large egg
Additional sugar for
-sprinkling

1. Heat oven to 375 F. Put flour, baking powder, soda, nutmeg, and
salt into a large bowl. Stir to mix well. Add butter and cut in with a
pastry blender or rub in with your fingers, until the mixture looks
like fine granules. Add currants and sugar; toss to distribute evenly.

2. Add egg yolk to buttermilk in a measuring cup and whisk with a fork
to blend. Pour over the flour mixture and stir with a fork until a
soft dough forms.

3. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and give 10-12
kneads. Cut dough in half. Knead each half briefly into a ball; turn
smooth side up and pat into a 6 inch circle. Cut in 6 wedges, but do
not separate wedges.

4. In a small bowl, beat the egg white with a fork until just broken
up. Brush to top of each scone with the egg white, and sprinkle
lightly with sugar. With a pancake turner, carefully transfer the two
cut circles to an ungreased cookie sheet. If necessary, reshape
circles so that the 6 wedges in each are touching. This will keep the
raisins from burning.

5. Bake 18-22 minutes or until medium brown. Cool on a wire rack.
After 5 minutes pull the wedges apart and cover loosely with a dish
towel.

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in
message . ..

Old 12-12-2003, 04:44 PM
mark

Ok thanks a lot. I at first didn't like them, but then I have some craving
for them. I find them expensive, likly unhealthy, so I wanted to try to make
them myself.