Julie

Default Blueberry Scone Recipe

Since I'm picking fresh blueberries in my backyard, thought I would
share one of my favorite recipes. Note: Although recipe says to
grease cookie sheet, I prefer using parchment paper, makes clean up
easier and scones don't stick!

Blueberry Scones

2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into pieces
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/3 cup heavy cream
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Cream and sugar for tops of scones

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set
aside. In a large bowl, sift together flour, 3 tablespoons sugar,
baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, or two knives, cut in
butter until the largest pieces are the size of small peas. Stir in
blueberries and zest. Using a fork, whisk together cream and eggs in a
liquid measuring cup. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and
pour in cream mixture. Stir lightly with fork just until dough comes
together.

Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead a few times to mix
well. Pat dough into a 6-inch square about 1 1/4 inches thick. Using a
floured knife, cut into four 3-inch squares. Cut squares in half on
the diagonal to form eight triangles. Transfer to prepared baking
sheet. Brush tops with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until
golden brown, 20 to 22 minutes.

Julie
www.bakingbits.com
The Old Bear

(Julie) writes:

>From:
(Julie)
>Newsgroups: rec.food.baking
>Subject: Blueberry Scone Recipe
>Date: 6 Jul 2004 05:57:13 -0700
>
>Since I'm picking fresh blueberries in my backyard, thought I would
>share one of my favorite recipes. Note: Although recipe says to
>grease cookie sheet, I prefer using parchment paper, makes clean up
>easier and scones don't stick!
>
>Blueberry Scones
>
>2 cups all-purpose flour
>3 tablespoons sugar
>1 tablespoon baking powder
>3/4 teaspoon salt
>6 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into pieces
>1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
>1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
>1/3 cup heavy cream
>2 eggs, lightly beaten
>Cream and sugar for tops of scones
>
>Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet and set
>aside. In a large bowl, sift together flour, 3 tablespoons sugar,
>baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, or two knives, cut in
>butter until the largest pieces are the size of small peas. Stir in
>blueberries and zest. Using a fork, whisk together cream and eggs in a
>liquid measuring cup. Make a well in the center of dry ingredients and
>pour in cream mixture. Stir lightly with fork just until dough comes
>together.
>
>Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead a few times to mix
>well. Pat dough into a 6-inch square about 1 1/4 inches thick. Using a
>floured knife, cut into four 3-inch squares. Cut squares in half on
>the diagonal to form eight triangles. Transfer to prepared baking
>sheet. Brush tops with cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake until
>golden brown, 20 to 22 minutes.
>
>Julie

www.bakingbits.com

That sounds like an excellent recipe, but for those of us who are still
watching our fat consumption, here is the scone recipe which I frequently
make:

Blue Ribbon Yogurt Scones
---------------------------

2 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg

1 egg
1 cup plain or vanilla nonfat yogurt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup blueberries

Heat oven to 400 deg F.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cornstarch, baking powder,
salt and nutmeg. Mix dry ingredients well.

In another bowl, beat egg. Combine yogurt, oil, vanilla and egg.
Blend well.

Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until flour
mixture is moistened. Gently stir in berries.

With floured hands, working on a floured surface, shape dough into
an 8-inch flat round cut into eight wedges, or into eight 3-inch
rounds.

Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake at 400 deg F for
15 to 20 minutes.

Serve warm.

This recipe can also be made with chopped figs, chopped apricots,
raisins, dried berries, etc. It is an adaptation of a recipe from
Sun-Diamond Growers of California, the fig people.

Cheers,
The Old Bear

The Old Bear

(Julie) writes:

>From:
(Julie)

scone recipe julieg General Cooking 19 17-03-2009 04:14 AM
A Tasty Scone Recipe Sean Surlow Baking 0 16-05-2008 06:28 PM
A Tasty Scone Recipe Sean S. General Cooking 0 16-05-2008 06:26 PM
Scone recipe for working mums Phred General Cooking 37 18-10-2007 10:33 PM
scone recipe needed lakota Baking 4 13-08-2004 04:17 AM