Old 10-03-2009, 07:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default scone recipe

What a great idea, I will leave recipes soon, I teach cookery at
school and would love to share ideas.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 10, 1:36*pm, julieg wrote:
What a great idea, I will leave recipes soon, I teach cookery at
school and would love to share ideas.

Do you have any recipes from Europe?

N. (Acting obo the Cabal (TINC).)

Old 10-03-2009, 09:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 12:22:11 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
wrote:

Do you have any recipes from Europe?

I am quite sure that scones were European.

Remember....YOU are someone special...
just like everyone else

Old 10-03-2009, 11:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 20:12:15 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

What a nice post

You are welcome!

Scones - European measurements

Yield: 20 servings

1 lb. self rising flour (or all purpose w/1 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

4 oz. butter

2 oz. castor sugar (4 oz. = cup

pt. milk

beaten egg to glaze

Filling:
strawberry or raspberry jam

qt. double cream whipped

450 degrees F oven 810 minute.

Sift flour and salt into bowl. Rub in butter until mixture resembled
fine bread crumbs. Add castor sugar and mix to a soft dough with milk.
Turn on to a lightly floured table knead quickly, then roll out to
inch thickness. Cut into 20 rounds with 2 inch cutter.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

What a nice post

You are welcome!

Scones - European measurements

Nancy made an "in joke" for rfc old timers... but thanks for the
recipe!

Mae West
Old 11-03-2009, 11:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 22:23:02 -0700, sf wrote:

Nancy made an "in joke" for rfc old timers... but thanks for the
recipe!

Didn't mean to invade the private circle of old timers. Excuse my
intrusion.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mr. Bill" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 22:23:02 -0700, sf wrote:

Nancy made an "in joke" for rfc old timers... but thanks for the
recipe!

Didn't mean to invade the private circle of old timers. Excuse my
intrusion.

Not an intrusion, simply an old reference. rfc used to be flooded with
requests for "recipes from Europe" by students whose misguided instructor
was (for whatever reason) trying to teach them about Usenet and newsgroups.
The reply TINC (there is no Cabal) is a reference that allegedly many of the
"regulars" controlled the ng. This is not, nor has it ever been, a
moderated newsgroup. There are a few of us who have been on rfc for a
decade or more, but TINC

Jill

Old 11-03-2009, 05:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
"Mr. Bill" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 22:23:02 -0700, sf wrote:

Nancy made an "in joke" for rfc old timers... but thanks for the
recipe!

Didn't mean to invade the private circle of old timers. Excuse my
intrusion.

Not an intrusion, simply an old reference. rfc used to be flooded with
requests for "recipes from Europe" by students whose misguided
instructor was (for whatever reason) trying to teach them about Usenet
and newsgroups. The reply TINC (there is no Cabal) is a reference that
allegedly many of the "regulars" controlled the ng. This is not, nor
has it ever been, a moderated newsgroup. There are a few of us who have
been on rfc for a decade or more, but TINC

Jill

Thanks for explaining the "TINC" thing... I was wondering what the heck
it stood for...
Old 11-03-2009, 08:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:23:51 -0400, "jmcquown"
wrote:

is a reference that allegedly many of the
"regulars" controlled the ng. This is not, nor has it ever been, a
moderated newsgroup

No..it isn't moderated...but the "old timers" don't have a problem
running anyone off if they don't agree with a new fresh idea or
member. The "be-little-ers club" is in full force.

I know you have been around for a long time...actually, I remember
when you were dating Ray! What ever happened to Ray?

Old 11-03-2009, 09:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:23:51 -0400, "jmcquown" wrote:

is a reference that allegedly many of the
"regulars" controlled the ng. This is not, nor has it ever been, a
moderated newsgroup

No..it isn't moderated...but the "old timers" don't have a problem
running anyone off if they don't agree with a new fresh idea or
member. The "be-little-ers club" is in full force.

However, that only effects the timid & weak. IMO RFC's reputation is a
situation analogous to the dog whose bark is worse than it's bite. In
this case RFC's reputations for being difficult is vastly overrated.
And as a group, consequently, more interesting than its 'reputation'
would lead one to think.

Of course, perversity that i am, it finally got to me, and i subscribed
to RFC. And began to read & interact with the group i had been "warned"
about "in another group."

At least xenophobia & national chauvinism is as ridiculous here as it is
prevalent in those more regional cooking groups and way less likely to
be used in any even remotely meaningful way here, in what is an
international group.

None of which stops rude people from being rude. And the existence of
such open, moderated public forums can even be said to encourage the
worst in some people, 'pour le outre.'

The sheer size of this groups contribute to its own moderation, its too
big for any one person or clique to control with autocratic absolutism.
--
Joseph Littleshoes

Old 11-03-2009, 10:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

is a reference that allegedly many of the
"regulars" controlled the ng. This is not, nor has it ever been, a
moderated newsgroup

No..it isn't moderated...but the "old timers" don't have a problem
running anyone off if they don't agree with a new fresh idea or
member. The "be-little-ers club" is in full force.

I don't see that old timers run people off unless they're spammers or
trolls. The cross-posters who want to drag other ngs into this one for now
reason, maybe. Maybe your take on things is different. shrugs

I know you have been around for a long time...actually, I remember
when you were dating Ray! What ever happened to Ray?

I broke our engagement. I'm afraid Ray may have been a casualty of
Hurricane Katrina. He was always running off to "help" when there were
hurricanes in the gulf. Everyone talks about New Orleans but the town where
his remaining family (cousins) lived, Bay St. Louis, MS, was wiped off the
map. I think he was there at the time.

Remember....YOU are someone special...
just like everyone else

Everyone is special. Everyone has good points and bad points. Good times
and bad times.

Jill

Old 12-03-2009, 08:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

What a nice post

You are welcome!

Scones - European measurements

Yield: 20 servings

1 lb. self rising flour (or all purpose w/1 tsp. baking powder

1 tsp. salt

4 oz. butter

2 oz. castor sugar (4 oz. = cup

pt. milk

beaten egg to glaze

Filling:
strawberry or raspberry jam

qt. double cream whipped

450 degrees F oven 810 minute.

Sift flour and salt into bowl. Rub in butter until mixture resembled
fine bread crumbs. Add castor sugar and mix to a soft dough with milk.
Turn on to a lightly floured table knead quickly, then roll out to
inch thickness. Cut into 20 rounds with 2 inch cutter.

That's not a lot of baking powder. I tend to use 1 teaspoon per cup of
plain flour if subsitituting for self-raising.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Old 12-03-2009, 11:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:36:00 -0700 (PDT), julieg
wrote:

What a great idea, I will leave recipes soon, I teach cookery at
school and would love to share ideas.

Here is a recipe from the Fairmont. It has been published many times.

36 oz flour (2lb, 4oz)
9 oz sugar
9 oz butter (hard)
2 oz baking powder
6 oz raisins
6 eggs
16 oz whipping cream
1/8 tsp salt

Crumb flour, butter, sugar, baking powder & salt
Add 5 eggs plus 1 egg white (save yolk for wash) slowly
Add raisins
Add cream and mix into smooth dough
Roll out to 1/2-in thickness
Cut into desired size and shape (should make ~ 35)
Egg wash with reserved yolk
Bake at 350 deg for 25-30 minutes

Serve with clotted cream and jam.
Old 13-03-2009, 12:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

What a great idea, I will leave recipes soon, I teach cookery at
school and would love to share ideas.

Here is a recipe from the Fairmont. It has been published many times.

36 oz flour (2lb, 4oz)
9 oz sugar
9 oz butter (hard)
2 oz baking powder
6 oz raisins
6 eggs
16 oz whipping cream
1/8 tsp salt

Crumb flour, butter, sugar, baking powder & salt
Add 5 eggs plus 1 egg white (save yolk for wash) slowly
Add raisins
Add cream and mix into smooth dough
Roll out to 1/2-in thickness
Cut into desired size and shape (should make ~ 35)
Egg wash with reserved yolk
Bake at 350 deg for 25-30 minutes

Serve with clotted cream and jam.

Huh. Eggs in scones. Who'd have thought it.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases

A Tasty Scone Recipe Sean Surlow Baking 0 16-05-2008 06:28 PM
A Tasty Scone Recipe Sean S. General Cooking 0 16-05-2008 06:26 PM
Scone recipe for working mums Phred General Cooking 37 18-10-2007 10:33 PM
scone recipe needed lakota Baking 4 13-08-2004 04:17 AM
Blueberry Scone Recipe Julie Baking 2 06-08-2004 01:12 AM