Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Default Breadman Ultimate Plus TR2500BC apparently dies

I've seen a couple of reviews by users that suggest that this machine
can suddenly appear dead but maybe come back to life. Or maybe I
misunderstood. I have had this about 1.5 years and used it around 100
times. 1/2 the time I just make pizza dough and don't bake in it.
Yesterday I baked a loaf of bread. I did what I usually do after baking
had terminated, I briefly pressed the Stop/Reset button (it beeped) and
unplugged the machine. ~2 hours later I filled the pan and put it in the
machine and plugged it in and there was no beep, nothing on the
display. The interior light does come on. Every time I plug in the
machine it's the same.

Is it possible that it will come back to life? I've read two reviews at
Amazon that suggest this is possible, although they don't say so
directly:

- - - -

3 of 3 people found the following review helpful:
Bread Machine Reliability, January 10, 2007
By G. Venard - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Overall I am quite happy with the machine. I particularly like the
variety of recipes provided. The user directions are easy to follow. The
only problem I have experienced is that on two occasions the machine
would not power up when I plugged it in. That resulted in the machine
being loaded with ingredients and the inability to start the cycle. The
problem was not a result of the cool down requirement since the machine
had not been used for several days. Now, just to be sure, I plug the
machine in to see if the "beep" occurs indicating the machine is ready
to use.
- - - -

3. After you have completed the entire baking, push the Reset button and
hold down for 4 seconds. Do this as well if the electricity goes off but
you are not baking, or if you unplug the machine. This precautionary
measure will keep you from finding yourself in an emergency cycle.
- - - -

Is it true it might come back to life? The manual makes no mention of an
"emergency" cycle.

Would my breadpan work in a different model Breadman? What IS a reliable
bread machine?

Dan
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 08:49:45 -0500, "Nancy Young"

:
:> Is it possible that it will come back to life? I've read two reviews
:> at Amazon that suggest this is possible, although they don't say so
:> directly:
:
:I see it's made by Salton. Perhaps you should go to
:their website for the contact information. I hope it comes
:back for you. Ask them why it went dead and what is the
:solution, since it's something that's happened to other people.
:
:nancy

It DID come back to life today (the day after it happened), some 19
hours after the machine seemed to have died. I have no idea what
transpired. In the future I'll make sure to plug in the machine BEFORE
adding ingredients. A reviewer at Amazon said it happened to their
machine twice, days after the machine's last use. I'm pretty sure my
next bread machine will be another brand, likely a Pansonic (were I to
order today, that's what it would be). Meantime, I have a working
machine (fingers crossed).
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 08:49:45 -0500, in rec.food.cooking you wrote:

wrote:
:
:> Is it possible that it will come back to life? I've read two reviews
:> at Amazon that suggest this is possible, although they don't say so
:> directly:
:
:I see it's made by Salton. Perhaps you should go to
:their website for the contact information. I hope it comes
:back for you. Ask them why it went dead and what is the
:solution, since it's something that's happened to other people.
:
:nancy

PS There are many posts at Amazon (reviews) by owners who had this or
similar happen to their machines. Maybe they didn't do as I did and wait
and see if the machine would come back to life before throwing it away
or seeking warantee replacement. I can understand that -- who would
expect an apparently dead machine to come back to life? If I hadn't
encountered those two reviews that hinted that this could happen, I
would have been apt to just assume the machine had become permanently
useless.

Dan

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 09:58:54 -0600, Chemiker
> wrote:

:The short answer is "yes", but it's a sometime thing.
:It's happened to me a couple of times, and the fix
:was described by their customer service people to
:me. Mine could fail if I hit Pause and then had a
:drop in the A/C voltage (Squirrel hit the transformer)
:and then would not continue or reset. Lost the
:loaf, but after unplugging and letting it cool down
Power company was here within the hour to
:remove the body and reset the transformer) I
lugged it back in, held reset down for a few
:seconds and like Lazarus, it did come back to life.
:It may take more than one try. It's sort of a cold
:reboot.
:
:HTH,
:
:Alex

I tried plugging it in and holding down and Stop/Reset button for up to
6 seconds or more but it showed no life yesterday. Today, magically
early this morning the machine acted "normally." I plugged it in, it
beeped and "0:00" showed on the display. I haven't used it but assume
that whatever was ailing it has gone away. I had something like this
happen in one of my computer components, maybe a video card. I think
that possibly a capacitor was overcharged and it had to slowly lose its
charge before the component would work again.

Dan

:
:On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 04:48:20 -0800, wrote:
:
:>I've seen a couple of reviews by users that suggest that this machine
:>can suddenly appear dead but maybe come back to life. Or maybe I
:>misunderstood. I have had this about 1.5 years and used it around 100
:>times. 1/2 the time I just make pizza dough and don't bake in it.
:>Yesterday I baked a loaf of bread. I did what I usually do after baking
:>had terminated, I briefly pressed the Stop/Reset button (it beeped) and
:>unplugged the machine. ~2 hours later I filled the pan and put it in the
:>machine and plugged it in and there was no beep, nothing on the
:>display. The interior light does come on. Every time I plug in the
:>machine it's the same.
:>
:>Is it possible that it will come back to life? I've read two reviews at
:>Amazon that suggest this is possible, although they don't say so
:>directly:
:>

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

On Jan 11, 2:48*am, wrote:
> I've seen a couple of reviews by users that suggest that this machine
> can suddenly appear dead but maybe come back to life. Or maybe I
> misunderstood. I have had this about 1.5 years and used it around 100
> times. 1/2 the time I just make pizza dough and don't bake in it.
> Yesterday I baked a loaf of bread. I did what I usually do after baking
> had terminated, I briefly pressed the Stop/Reset button (it beeped) and
> unplugged the machine. ~2 hours later I filled the pan and put it in the
> machine and plugged it in and there was no *beep, nothing on the
> display. The interior light does come on. Every time I plug in the
> machine it's the same.
>
> Is it possible that it will come back to life? I've read two reviews at
> Amazon that suggest this is possible, although they don't say so
> directly:

Interesting behavior. I'm pretty sure your Breadman is programmed to
prevent making another loaf until the internal temperature of the
machine stabilizes i.e., cools down. Can it be that you've never tried
making another batch of bread within a few hours after the last? If
you have done this before it might be that the thermostat sensor that
controls this might be spotty. I have experienced this myself and I
think that this machine should be reprogrammed so that it will give
you a prompt that warns you that you cannot bake another loaf until a
waiting period. As it is now, it simulates a dead machine quite
nicely. :-)

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 10:04:04 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

:On Jan 11, 2:48*am, wrote:
[...]

Simulates a dead machine quite nicely indeed! And I'm certain that many
have been trashed therefore, kind of like being buried alive just
because you are a deep sleeper. My machine did come back to life the
next morning. I have a data table for this machine, and I started it the
day before I purchased the machine on ebay. The very first entry (made
the day before I made my bid on the machine was this:

plug the machine in to see if the "beep" occurs BEFORE adding
ingredients -- 06/22/2007
3 of 3 people found the following review helpful:

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Simulates a dead machine quite nicely indeed! And I'm certain that many
> have been trashed therefore, kind of like being buried alive just
> because you are a deep sleeper. My machine did come back to life the
> next morning. I have a data table for this machine, and I started it the
> day before I purchased the machine on ebay. The very first entry (made
> the day before I made my bid on the machine was this:
>
> plug the machine in to see if the "beep" occurs BEFORE adding
> ingredients -- 06/22/2007
> 3 of 3 people found the following review helpful:
> Bread Machine Reliability, January 10, 2007
> By G. Venard - See all my reviews
> (REAL NAME)
> Overall I am quite happy with the machine. I particularly like the
> variety of recipes provided. The user directions are easy to follow. The
> only problem I have experienced is that on two occasions the machine
> would not power up when I plugged it in. That resulted in the machine
> being loaded with ingredients and the inability to start the cycle. The
> problem was not a result of the cool down requirement since the machine
> had not been used for several days. Now, just to be sure, I plug the
> machine in to see if the "beep" occurs indicating the machine is ready
> to use.

I don't recall if I ever opened one of those before but it would not
surprise me if defeating this interlock could be as simple as bypassing
a thermoswitch - if a faulty switch is the cause. If I ever have this
problem again, I will investigate this. :-)