Posted to rec.food.equipment,rec.food.baking,alt.bread.recipes,rec.food.cooking

Default Oven thermometers - accuracy

NOTE: Crossposted to r.f.cooking, r.f.baking, alt.bread.recipes;
follow-ups set to r.f.equipment.

When I use my candy thermometer I calibrate it first ‹ I know that water
boils at 212°F at my altitude. Last time I made candy (December) it was
off by 7° and I adjusted accordingly; accuracy is important when making
candy.

How do I know if my oven thermometer is accurate? How accurate does a
baking temp have to be for baking bread?

My new thermometer (Taylor, non-gourmet-line product, bought at Target
this morning for $6) says my oven is cool by 15 degrees. How do I know
if that's accurate? I have no way to calibrate it that I know about.
Is that (15 degrees off) going to make a difference in outcome if baking
time isn't changed?

I'm trying to figure out if that's why my bread bottoms are a titch
underdone. I like the color of the crust. Yeah, I'll bake a loaf with
my oven set to 465° to see how that is but I'm curious right now.

Inquiring Mind Wants to Know.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com; pics of my no-knead bread posted