Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Hard White Cake

Hi All

As per the title, I have been asked to make a hard white cake for a
child's birthday and I would appreciate any ideas or recipes.

My ideas so far are to do something based on meringues or biscuits such
as a deep shortbread cake. Alternatively, I could do a chocolate cake
using white chocolate.

The 'hardness' shouldn't be too hard as the child is only 4 so panforte
would be out of the question.

Thanks for your input.

Dave
Posted to rec.food.baking

Could it be something with the hard white icing, like a Christmas cake??

"Dave" <not@here> wrote in message ...
> Hi All
>
> As per the title, I have been asked to make a hard white cake for a
> child's birthday and I would appreciate any ideas or recipes.
>
> My ideas so far are to do something based on meringues or biscuits such as
> a deep shortbread cake. Alternatively, I could do a chocolate cake using
> white chocolate.
>
> The 'hardness' shouldn't be too hard as the child is only 4 so panforte
> would be out of the question.
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> Dave

Posted to rec.food.baking

It could, one of my thoughts is to do a white chocolate cake with white
chocolate icing. Another is to do a chocolate mousse and see if I can
make it more towards the concrete end of the mousse like spectrum.

Any ideas on how to make the cake part more hard?

Thanks for your suggestion.

Dave

Viviane wrote:
> Could it be something with the hard white icing, like a Christmas cake??
>
> "Dave" <not@here> wrote in message ...
>> Hi All
>>
>> As per the title, I have been asked to make a hard white cake for a
>> child's birthday and I would appreciate any ideas or recipes.
>>
>> My ideas so far are to do something based on meringues or biscuits such as
>> a deep shortbread cake. Alternatively, I could do a chocolate cake using
>> white chocolate.
>>
>> The 'hardness' shouldn't be too hard as the child is only 4 so panforte
>> would be out of the question.
>>
>> Thanks for your input.
>>
>> Dave

Posted to rec.food.baking

You're really testing my baking skills here! I'm not a cake expert, however
I'm sure that plenty of people in this ng are! Maybe a solid fruit cake or
a good mud cake - you could do a white choc one. Good luck.

"Dave" <not@here> wrote in message ...
> It could, one of my thoughts is to do a white chocolate cake with white
> chocolate icing. Another is to do a chocolate mousse and see if I can
> make it more towards the concrete end of the mousse like spectrum.
>
> Any ideas on how to make the cake part more hard?
>
> Thanks for your suggestion.
>
> Dave
>
> Viviane wrote:
>> Could it be something with the hard white icing, like a Christmas cake??
>>
>> "Dave" <not@here> wrote in message ...
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> As per the title, I have been asked to make a hard white cake for a
>>> child's birthday and I would appreciate any ideas or recipes.
>>>
>>> My ideas so far are to do something based on meringues or biscuits such
>>> as a deep shortbread cake. Alternatively, I could do a chocolate cake
>>> using white chocolate.
>>>
>>> The 'hardness' shouldn't be too hard as the child is only 4 so panforte
>>> would be out of the question.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your input.
>>>
>>> Dave

Posted to rec.food.baking

Don't you think a 4 year old would simply prefer a simple cake or maybe a
cupcake. It is afterall their birthday.

"Viviane" > wrote in message
> You're really testing my baking skills here! I'm not a cake expert,
> however I'm sure that plenty of people in this ng are! Maybe a solid
> fruit cake or a good mud cake - you could do a white choc one. Good luck.
>
> "Dave" <not@here> wrote in message ...
>> It could, one of my thoughts is to do a white chocolate cake with white
>> chocolate icing. Another is to do a chocolate mousse and see if I can
>> make it more towards the concrete end of the mousse like spectrum.
>>
>> Any ideas on how to make the cake part more hard?
>>
>> Thanks for your suggestion.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> Viviane wrote:
>>> Could it be something with the hard white icing, like a Christmas cake??

Posted to rec.food.baking

It's the child's specification. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

It also needs to have an elephant, a cow and a horse on top once again
as per child's instructions ...

R. Fizek wrote:
> Don't you think a 4 year old would simply prefer a simple cake or maybe a
> cupcake. It is afterall their birthday.
>

> "Viviane" > wrote in message
>> You're really testing my baking skills here! I'm not a cake expert,
>> however I'm sure that plenty of people in this ng are! Maybe a solid
>> fruit cake or a good mud cake - you could do a white choc one. Good luck.
>>
>> "Dave" <not@here> wrote in message ...
>>> It could, one of my thoughts is to do a white chocolate cake with white
>>> chocolate icing. Another is to do a chocolate mousse and see if I can
>>> make it more towards the concrete end of the mousse like spectrum.
>>>
>>> Any ideas on how to make the cake part more hard?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your suggestion.
>>>
>>> Dave

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Dec 9, 1:57�am, Dave <not@here> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> As per the title, I have been asked to make a hard white cake for a
> child's birthday and I would appreciate any ideas or recipes.
>
> My ideas so far are to do something based on meringues or biscuits such
> as a deep shortbread cake. �Alternatively, I could do a chocolate cake
> using white chocolate.
>
> The 'hardness' shouldn't be too hard as the child is only 4 so panforte
> would be out of the question.
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> Dave

I have made lots of children's cakes and find their definitions
different from adults. When child said "hard white cake" don't you
think he meant just a regular white cake, probably 2 layers? I know
my nephew at that age didn't think a cake was really a cake unless it
was a 2 layer cake.

Oleta
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 07:01:20 +0000
Dave <not@here> wrote:

> I think he knows what hard means and he was quite specific in other
> details such as white and no chocolate.
>
> I tried to make a 'harder mousse' last night using less butter and
> eggs but it didn't really work out.
>
> I guess it'll be a rice krispie cake then with a secondary cake for
> the adults.
>
> Thanks to all for their input.
>
> Dave

Maybe he just means a dense white cake? Which is to say, a cake that is
neither made from a mix nor hand made to world-class standards?
Posted to rec.food.baking

Eric Jorgensen wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 07:01:20 +0000
> Dave <not@here> wrote:
>
>> I think he knows what hard means and he was quite specific in other
>> details such as white and no chocolate.
>>
>> I tried to make a 'harder mousse' last night using less butter and
>> eggs but it didn't really work out.
>>
>> I guess it'll be a rice krispie cake then with a secondary cake for
>> the adults.
>>
>> Thanks to all for their input.
>>
>> Dave

> Maybe he just means a dense white cake? Which is to say, a cake that is
> neither made from a mix nor hand made to world-class standards?

Can you suggest any recipes for dense cakes? Maybe a chocolate sponge
but made with white chocolate would do the trick (albeit not dense, but
I could ice it).