Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Trivial Pursuit

It's for an English word that describes a bread that has been
preserved by toasting or heating. Naturally the bread is no longer
fresh; it's hard and usable only for dunking in soups or stews or
maybe used as a thickener. But the bread keeps for a long while
without
becoming mouldy. As I understand it the bread required no special
handling, just hung
in bags or sacks until it was used.

Posted to rec.food.baking

stark wrote:
> It's for an English word that describes a bread that has been
> preserved by toasting or heating. Naturally the bread is no longer
> fresh; it's hard and usable only for dunking in soups or stews or
> maybe used as a thickener. But the bread keeps for a long while
> without
> becoming mouldy. As I understand it the bread required no special
> handling, just hung
> in bags or sacks until it was used.

Hardtack?
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Oct 31, 9:50 pm, Dave Bell > wrote:
> stark wrote:
> > It's for an English word that describes a bread that has been
> > preserved by toasting or heating. Naturally the bread is no longer
> > fresh; it's hard and usable only for dunking in soups or stews or
> > maybe used as a thickener. But the bread keeps for a long while
> > without
> > becoming mouldy. As I understand it the bread required no special
> > handling, just hung
> > in bags or sacks until it was used.

> Hardtack?

Could be. There's something called rusk and there's zweibach, but I
was thinking there's a specific name for bread in whole loaf
preservation. There's a small treatise on reconstituting stale bread
in The Bread Book dtd 1640 which instructs one to dip the loaf in cold
water then heat in a gentle oven, claiming that the bread tastes
almost fresh.

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 1, 3:30 pm, the pilgrim > wrote:
> On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 02:50:07 GMT, Dave Bell > wrote:
> >stark wrote:
> >> It's for an English word that describes a bread that has been
> >> preserved by toasting or heating. Naturally the bread is no longer
> >> fresh; it's hard and usable only for dunking in soups or stews or
> >> maybe used as a thickener. But the bread keeps for a long while
> >> without
> >> becoming mouldy. As I understand it the bread required no special
> >> handling, just hung
> >> in bags or sacks until it was used.

> >Hardtack?

> Seabiscuit?

Nah, he quit racing decades ago.

Posted to rec.food.baking

In article .com>,
stark > wrote:

> It's for an English word that describes a bread that has been
> preserved by toasting or heating. Naturally the bread is no longer
> fresh; it's hard and usable only for dunking in soups or stews or
> maybe used as a thickener. But the bread keeps for a long while
> without
> becoming mouldy. As I understand it the bread required no special
> handling, just hung
> in bags or sacks until it was used.

Sounds like a rusk to me.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Nov 19, 5:48 pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article .com>,
>
> stark > wrote:
> > It's for an English word that describes a bread that has been
> > preserved by toasting or heating. Naturally the bread is no longer
> > fresh; it's hard and usable only for dunking in soups or stews or
> > maybe used as a thickener. But the bread keeps for a long while
> > without
> > becoming mouldy. As I understand it the bread required no special
> > handling, just hung
> > in bags or sacks until it was used.

> Sounds like a rusk to me.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

That may be it, or the closest I'm gonna get. I remember it as Holland
rusk but English accepts all comers. Thanks.