Tom

Default A Great Visit: In Pursuit of Tea

I just spent a wonderful half hour in "In Pursuit of Tea" in Brooklyn.

Sebastian was great, subtly correcting my pronunciation of "gaiwan" and showing
me short movies of tea picking & making in India & China while making me a
couple of cups of the Silver Needle Pu-erh which was, if possible, even better
than Lew's review of it.

I left with some of each of their Pu-erhs.

As I type, I am sampling the Tibetan Mushroom Pu-erh which is great. Not as
subtle or sweet as the silver needle but very flavorful with nice nuances.

Thanks for the recommendation guys!

--Tom
-oo-
""\o~
------------------------------------
"Homo sum, humani nil a me alienum puto."
Terrance
Frayed

"Tom" > wrote in message
> I just spent a wonderful half hour in "In Pursuit of Tea" in Brooklyn.
>
> Sebastian was great, subtly correcting my pronunciation of "gaiwan" and showing
> me short movies of tea picking & making in India & China while making me a
> couple of cups of the Silver Needle Pu-erh which was, if possible, even better
> than Lew's review of it.
>
> I left with some of each of their Pu-erhs.
>
> As I type, I am sampling the Tibetan Mushroom Pu-erh which is great. Not as
> subtle or sweet as the silver needle but very flavorful with nice nuances.
>
> Thanks for the recommendation guys!
>

> --Tom

Sounds great, Tom. I am likely headed that way soon, where is it located? TIA
Karen

Michael Plant

Tom,

I'm glad to hear you had a good time over there. The films are fun, aren't
they? I'm do to visit myself since I'm out of some of my favorites. Did you
try (or buy) the aged Lu An? That's the fermented green that comes in a
bamboo basket topped with big dry leaves. Tastes of earth and beets.
Wonderful. But, the Silver Needles Beencha Pu-erh takes the prize. Nothing
else in its class.

Isn't it gettin' on time for those winter Bao Zhongs to start rollin' in?

I'm almost completely out of Oolong. That is *not* a good thing. BTW, and on
the subject of Oolong, have you tried Big Apple down on Howard Street,
Manhattan? They're pretty cool, they have good stuff, serve formal gungfu --
beware the killer strength though -- and they'll talk with you too, not
unlike the IPOT guys. It's Lew's find. How could it be bad?

Michael

1/5/04

> I just spent a wonderful half hour in "In Pursuit of Tea" in Brooklyn.
>
> Sebastian was great, subtly correcting my pronunciation of "gaiwan" and
> showing
> me short movies of tea picking & making in India & China while making me a
> couple of cups of the Silver Needle Pu-erh which was, if possible, even better
> than Lew's review of it.
>
> I left with some of each of their Pu-erhs.
>
> As I type, I am sampling the Tibetan Mushroom Pu-erh which is great. Not as
> subtle or sweet as the silver needle but very flavorful with nice nuances.
>
> Thanks for the recommendation guys!

Lewis Perin

Michael Plant > writes:

> [...visiting IPOT...]
> I'm almost completely out of Oolong. That is *not* a good thing. BTW, and on
> the subject of Oolong, have you tried Big Apple down on Howard Street,
> Manhattan? They're pretty cool, they have good stuff, serve formal gungfu --
> beware the killer strength though -- and they'll talk with you too, not
> unlike the IPOT guys.

Let me add that what Michael undoubtedly means by "formal" is that you
get gongfu tea service with all the tools and accessories. The
atmosphere is far from formal, though: it's loose and relaxed.
They'll let you do the brewing yourself if you prefer.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /

Dean Macinskas

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message

> Isn't it gettin' on time for those winter Bao Zhongs to start rollin' in?

Michael,

Perhaps you buy your Oolongs from B&M shops, but if you do use internet
sources, which ones do you think have the best selection and quality?

Thanks,
Dean

Michael Plant

Default visit to Big Apple (was: A Great Visit: In Pursuit of Tea)

1/6/04

> Sounds awesome.
>
> Where is it?
>
>> Subject: A Great Visit: In Pursuit of Tea
>> From: Lewis Perin

>> Date: 1/6/2004 11:05 AM Eastern Standard Time
>>
>> Michael Plant > writes:
>>
>>> [...visiting IPOT...]
>>> I'm almost completely out of Oolong. That is *not* a good thing. BTW, and
>>> on
>>> the subject of Oolong, have you tried Big Apple down on Howard Street,
>>> Manhattan? They're pretty cool, they have good stuff, serve formal gungfu

>> --
>>> beware the killer strength though -- and they'll talk with you too, not
>>> unlike the IPOT guys.

>> Let me add that what Michael undoubtedly means by "formal" is that you
>> get gongfu tea service with all the tools and accessories. The
>> atmosphere is far from formal, though: it's loose and relaxed.
>> They'll let you do the brewing yourself if you prefer.
>>
>> /Lew

Tom,

First, Lew is of course quite right about formality at Big Apple. I was
referring to the fact that they use gungfu set ups and run the entire
routine of heat-ups, rinses, washes, and steeps. The atmosphere is indeed
informal, though.

Big Apple is on Howard Street on the North side between Broadway and
Lafayette, closer to the latter. You walk up some steps, if I recall. Their
sign features "internet," I think. They have a couple computers, and it
costs something like six dollars an hour to connect. Not so bad. Lew will
have to chime in with a more specific address.

Michael

Michael Plant

Dean /6/04

> "Michael Plant" > wrote in message
>
>> Isn't it gettin' on time for those winter Bao Zhongs to start rollin' in?
>>

> Michael,
>
> Perhaps you buy your Oolongs from B&M shops, but if you do use internet
> sources, which ones do you think have the best selection and quality?
>
> Thanks,
> Dean

Dean,

I'm at something of a lose here myself -- wish Laylage were around; she
knows -- but it seems Brian of ShanShui down in Washington DC is a major
player. For me these are finicky teas, not in the brewing but in the
finding. Sometimes they're great and just right, sometimes too "viscous,"
sometimes too thin. It's the melon flower flavor and aroma that hook me. The
year before last, IPOT offered a really great one. Last year's IMHO was not
as fine. I'm just an amateur, though; the mood of the moment weighs in
heavily. (All the above about Bao Zhong.)

More generally, Oolong-wise, I get off on the IPOT Monkey Picked Competition
Ti Guan Yin, although I've been out of it for quite awhile. Some remarkable
ones I've tasted from Taiwan Tea. I had an aged dark Oolong and a Li Shan
from The Oolong Tea Store in New Jersey that I liked a lot. Also, I've
enjoyed those I've had from ITC, but I don't enjoy their prices. I tend away
from the flowery light green Oolongs and more toward the complex ones with a
(slight) resiny, steely, and or woody overlay. The truth? I usually like
the one I'm drinking at the moment best.

B&M? Took me a couple minutes. Bread&Mortar, Bread&Roses, Bread&Tea. Got it
now. I buy teas from The Big Apple (Something) in NYC on Howard Street
between Broadway and Lafayette, a gungfu tea place with internet.I've been
known to buy at Ten Ren's shop, but less and less, since they're too big now
for my tastes, having bragged to me about their hundreds of locations in
China, PR of, that is.

Best,
Michael

Michael Plant

"Brick," I meant "Brick," not "Bread," Brick.

Dean Macinskas

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> Dean /6/04

> > "Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> >
> >> Isn't it gettin' on time for those winter Bao Zhongs to start rollin'

in?

> > Michael,
> >
> > Perhaps you buy your Oolongs from B&M shops, but if you do use internet
> > sources, which ones do you think have the best selection and quality?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dean

> Dean,
>
> I'm at something of a lose here myself -- wish Laylage were around; she
> knows -- but it seems Brian of ShanShui down in Washington DC is a major
> player. For me these are finicky teas, not in the brewing but in the
> finding. Sometimes they're great and just right, sometimes too "viscous,"
> sometimes too thin. It's the melon flower flavor and aroma that hook me.

The
> year before last, IPOT offered a really great one. Last year's IMHO was

not
> as fine. I'm just an amateur, though; the mood of the moment weighs in
> heavily. (All the above about Bao Zhong.)
>
> More generally, Oolong-wise, I get off on the IPOT Monkey Picked

Competition
> Ti Guan Yin, although I've been out of it for quite awhile. Some

remarkable
> ones I've tasted from Taiwan Tea. I had an aged dark Oolong and a Li Shan
> from The Oolong Tea Store in New Jersey that I liked a lot. Also, I've
> enjoyed those I've had from ITC, but I don't enjoy their prices. I tend

away
> from the flowery light green Oolongs and more toward the complex ones with

> (slight) resiny, steely, and or woody overlay. The truth? I usually like
> the one I'm drinking at the moment best.
>
> B&M? Took me a couple minutes. Bread&Mortar, Bread&Roses, Bread&Tea. Got

it
> now. I buy teas from The Big Apple (Something) in NYC on Howard Street
> between Broadway and Lafayette, a gungfu tea place with internet.I've been
> known to buy at Ten Ren's shop, but less and less, since they're too big

now
> for my tastes, having bragged to me about their hundreds of locations in
> China, PR of, that is.

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm still exploring Chinese Oolongs, trying to
better understand their character. I live in the Philadelphia area, there
is only one real tea store in Phila that I'm aware of and its hours don't
correspond to mine very well. Most of my explorations are by necessity done
through online vendors, which prompted my original note.

My usual tea of choice is Darjeeling, and thanks to another thread I now
think of Darjeeling as Indian oolong. I've had the Gopaldhara WT-8 from
Specialteas and thought it extraordinary - the only Darjeeling from which
I've ever been able to get good multiple infusions, probably because of the
bold leaf style. If this is the wave of the Darjeeling future, I for one am
all for it!

Regards,
Dean

Rebecca Ore

"Dean Macinskas" > writes:

> Thanks for your thoughts. I'm still exploring Chinese Oolongs,
> trying to better understand their character. I live in the
> Philadelphia area, there is only one real tea store in Phila that
> I'm aware of and its hours don't correspond to mine very well. Most
> of my explorations are by necessity done through online vendors,
> which prompted my original note.

The House of Teas has a web site.

Some of the Chinese stores have teas. I've been doing a cross
comparision between a Specialteas sample Tung Ting and a Tung Ting I
bought in the Hong Kong grocery on Rising Sun and Adams. The
Specialteas Tung Ting is better but the cheaper Tung Ting is certainly
drinkable. We've had some threads in the past about Chinese store
teas. The consensus seems to have been that they varied.

> My usual tea of choice is Darjeeling, and thanks to another thread I
> now think of Darjeeling as Indian oolong. I've had the Gopaldhara
> WT-8 from Specialteas and thought it extraordinary - the only
> Darjeeling from which I've ever been able to get good multiple
> infusions, probably because of the bold leaf style. If this is the
> wave of the Darjeeling future, I for one am all for it!

I placed an order by web with Specialteas on Sunday and it arrived
today. I believe they have an out and out Darjeeling oolong -- search
for all oolongs.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://mysite.verizon.net/rebecca.ore
Dean Macinskas

"Rebecca Ore" > wrote in message
> "Dean Macinskas" > writes:
>
> > Thanks for your thoughts. I'm still exploring Chinese Oolongs,
> > trying to better understand their character. I live in the
> > Philadelphia area, there is only one real tea store in Phila that
> > I'm aware of and its hours don't correspond to mine very well. Most
> > of my explorations are by necessity done through online vendors,
> > which prompted my original note.

> The House of Teas has a web site.

True, but that reduces them to an internet site <g>. The last time I
stopped at HoT ( a Monday morning, ~9:30 am) they were closed. I cannot
find their hours on the site; I guess I'll have to call them.

Their prices seem high, at least compared to the internet sites I frequent,
but I suppose something has to pay the rent.

> Some of the Chinese stores have teas. I've been doing a cross
> comparision between a Specialteas sample Tung Ting and a Tung Ting I
> bought in the Hong Kong grocery on Rising Sun and Adams. The
> Specialteas Tung Ting is better but the cheaper Tung Ting is certainly
> drinkable. We've had some threads in the past about Chinese store
> teas. The consensus seems to have been that they varied.

I took a walk through the Oriental market tea section at Wing Phat plaza on
Washington a month or so ago. A huge selection, but as most of it is
labeled in Chinese, choosing some would be the equivalent of buying a bottle
of wine because one liked the label. The prices certainly seemed low, but I
suspect one gets what one pays for. Mostly bagged tea, as I recall. I
guess "supermarket" tea is pretty much the same the world over.

> > My usual tea of choice is Darjeeling, and thanks to another thread I
> > now think of Darjeeling as Indian oolong. I've had the Gopaldhara
> > WT-8 from Specialteas and thought it extraordinary - the only
> > Darjeeling from which I've ever been able to get good multiple
> > infusions, probably because of the bold leaf style. If this is the
> > wave of the Darjeeling future, I for one am all for it!
> >

> I placed an order by web with Specialteas on Sunday and it arrived
> today. I believe they have an out and out Darjeeling oolong -- search
> for all oolongs.

A long time ago I tried Specialteas Poobong Black Musk Oolong (#191), and
was distinctly underwhelmed. But my tastes have evolved somewhat since
then, so perhaps I should try it (or some others) again.

> --
> Rebecca Ore
> http://mysite.verizon.net/rebecca.ore

Dean Macinskas

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> Dean /6/04

> > "Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> >
> >> Isn't it gettin' on time for those winter Bao Zhongs to start rollin'

in?

Michael,

Imperial Tea Court is advertising a "Imperial Wen Shan Bao Zhong", but the
price is stunning: $70 for 4 ounces!

Regards,
Dean

Rebecca Ore

"Dean Macinskas" > writes:

> "Rebecca Ore" > wrote in message

>> Some of the Chinese stores have teas. I've been doing a cross
>> comparision between a Specialteas sample Tung Ting and a Tung Ting I
>> bought in the Hong Kong grocery on Rising Sun and Adams. The
>> Specialteas Tung Ting is better but the cheaper Tung Ting is certainly
>> drinkable. We've had some threads in the past about Chinese store
>> teas. The consensus seems to have been that they varied.
>>

> I took a walk through the Oriental market tea section at Wing Phat plaza on
> Washington a month or so ago. A huge selection, but as most of it is
> labeled in Chinese, choosing some would be the equivalent of buying a bottle
> of wine because one liked the label. The prices certainly seemed low, but I
> suspect one gets what one pays for. Mostly bagged tea, as I recall. I
> guess "supermarket" tea is pretty much the same the world over.

The Hong Kong and a couple of supermarkets in Chinatown have some
that's labelled in English in cans. I've discovered a few brands that
appear to have chronically weak tea (the boxes with the beveled off
corners if I'm remembering correctly), and a SeaDyke oolong that's has
a very strong fragrence when you open the outer box (double boxed,
with a metal box with two lids on the inside). Some of the prices are
in the $2 an ounce range (haven't tried those). The Hong Kong also
has some ginsing flavored teas and possibly some other elite teas
behind a counter.

I also ended up once with the Puerh that's simply called Black Tea.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://mysite.verizon.net/rebecca.ore
Michael Plant

Dean /7/04

major snippage...

> My usual tea of choice is Darjeeling, and thanks to another thread I now
> think of Darjeeling as Indian oolong.

I don't know if I would say that. While Darjeeling is neither green nor
black, it isn't quite "Oolong" either, unless processed that way. Some of
the growers are processing an Oolong style Darjeeling tea and it's really
nice IMHO.

>I've had the Gopaldhara WT-8 from
> Specialteas and thought it extraordinary - the only Darjeeling from which
> I've ever been able to get good multiple infusions, probably because of the
> bold leaf style. If this is the wave of the Darjeeling future, I for one am
> all for it!

Me too. Maybe try Kyela Teas in Montreal. Kevin, the proprietor, sells
nothing but Darjeeling.

Michael

Lewis Perin

"Dean Macinskas" > writes:

> [...Darjeeling oolongs...]
> A long time ago I tried Specialteas Poobong Black Musk Oolong (#191), and
> was distinctly underwhelmed. But my tastes have evolved somewhat since
> then, so perhaps I should try it (or some others) again.

I think Poobong Black Musk is a real outlier. It's very different
from the other Darjoolongs I've tasted. When I tried it 3 years ago,
it gave off a combination of Darjeeling tang and the kind of cocoa-ish
thing you find in a lot of China blacks.

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /
Rick Chappell

Dean Macinskas > wrote:

> Imperial Tea Court is advertising a "Imperial Wen Shan Bao Zhong", but the
> price is stunning: $70 for 4 ounces!

Wen Shan is a small district in Taiwan which produces the best bao
zhongs and perhaps more generally the best oolongs I have ever had in
my life. The chance receipt of some of this tea started me off as a
tea fan. And yes, it is expensive. I have connections (Taiwanese
friends) and even when they buy it there it still costs a lot. A bit
less than $70 per quarter pound, but not that much. Taiwan's labor
costs are a lot higher than China's remember. That said, I've never
bought from ITC so can't say how imperial their imperial tea is. You
could ask them what prizes it has won.

Oh yes, remember that good bao zhong can be used several times (within
a couple of hours I would suggest), so the value is better than first
appears. And, since not much is used (judging by weight, not volume)
it isn't a bad deal.

Enjoy,

Rick.

Dean Macinskas

"Lewis Perin" > wrote in message
news
> "Dean Macinskas" > writes:
>
> > [...Darjeeling oolongs...]
> > A long time ago I tried Specialteas Poobong Black Musk Oolong (#191),

and
> > was distinctly underwhelmed. But my tastes have evolved somewhat since
> > then, so perhaps I should try it (or some others) again.

> I think Poobong Black Musk is a real outlier. It's very different
> from the other Darjoolongs I've tasted. When I tried it 3 years ago,
> it gave off a combination of Darjeeling tang and the kind of cocoa-ish
> thing you find in a lot of China blacks.
>
> /Lew

A new word has just entered the language: "Darjoolong"! I like it!
Congratulations, Lew!

Dean

DPM

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> Dean /7/04
>
> major snippage...
>
> > My usual tea of choice is Darjeeling, and thanks to another thread I now
> > think of Darjeeling as Indian oolong.

> I don't know if I would say that. While Darjeeling is neither green nor
> black, it isn't quite "Oolong" either, unless processed that way. Some of
> the growers are processing an Oolong style Darjeeling tea and it's really
> nice IMHO.

Well, I guess it depends on the definition of "oolong". I was thinking of
it rather simplistically: if the oxidation for green tea is (say)0-10% and
the oxidation for black is 90-100%, then everything in between is oolong.
But your statement "...unless processed that way" implies that there are
other steps in the process that are unique to oolong. What makes oolong
unique?

> >I've had the Gopaldhara WT-8 from
> > Specialteas and thought it extraordinary - the only Darjeeling from

which
> > I've ever been able to get good multiple infusions, probably because of

the
> > bold leaf style. If this is the wave of the Darjeeling future, I for

one am
> > all for it!

> Me too. Maybe try Kyela Teas in Montreal. Kevin, the proprietor, sells
> nothing but Darjeeling.

I'll check him out. Thanks for the tip.

> Michael

Michael Plant

Default Darjeelings/Darjoolongs/Oolongs [was: A Great Visit: In Pursuitof Tea]

/8/04

snip snip snip

>> I don't know if I would say that. While Darjeeling is neither green nor
>> black, it isn't quite "Oolong" either, unless processed that way. Some of
>> the growers are processing an Oolong style Darjeeling tea and it's really
>> nice IMHO.
>>

> Well, I guess it depends on the definition of "oolong". I was thinking of
> it rather simplistically: if the oxidation for green tea is (say)0-10% and
> the oxidation for black is 90-100%, then everything in between is oolong.
> But your statement "...unless processed that way" implies that there are
> other steps in the process that are unique to oolong. What makes oolong
> unique?

I think you gotta "gotcha" he I'm not 100% sure. Having said that, I am
given to believe that the production of Oolong usually entails multiple and
progressive "short" dehydrations, poundings, rollings, and otherwise
manipulatings that collectively can go for days. It's labor intensive,
leaving great room for variation leading to the great variety of Oolong
styles and tastes. This in no way contradicts your definition which many
people use as a working definition.

As I'm learning more and more, tea taxonomies and "systematics" need to be
taken with a grain of salt. My current favorite oolong teadrinkingplace --
Big Apple on Howard Street in New York City's Chinatown --
refers to green Oolongs (apart from Bao Zhongs, mind you) as green teas.
It's hard to follow, but, ultimately, who cares. I guess.

Are there any growers, garden managers, or garden owners from India around
who could help with this?

Michael

Space Cowboy

Another catchword for slightly oxidized green tea is Pouchon. Any process
like a roll or press that bruises the leaf will turn it dark. So a 'green'
Pouchon is already dark.

Jim

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> refers to green Oolongs (apart from Bao Zhongs, mind you) as green teas.

Michael Plant

Space nk.net1/9/04

> Another catchword for slightly oxidized green tea is Pouchon. Any process
> like a roll or press that bruises the leaf will turn it dark. So a 'green'
> Pouchon is already dark.
>
> Jim

Jim,

"Pouchon" sounds like yet another transliteration for "Bao Zhong," ("Pou
Chong"). Bao Zhong has the most remarkably bright emerald green look to it
as it unfurls in the water. Whatever you call us, just don't call us late
for dinner.

Michael

Space Cowboy

You can call me Ray. Any infused oolong leaf will be a shade of green
depending on oxidation. Another term for slightly oxidized leaf is Bohea.
It is also used to mean any oolong. I'm more familiar with Cantonese than
Pinyin.

Jim

"Michael Plant" > wrote in message
> Space nk.net1/9/04
>

> > Another catchword for slightly oxidized green tea is Pouchon. Any

process
> > like a roll or press that bruises the leaf will turn it dark. So a

'green'
> > Pouchon is already dark.
> >
> > Jim

> Jim,
>
> "Pouchon" sounds like yet another transliteration for "Bao Zhong," ("Pou
> Chong"). Bao Zhong has the most remarkably bright emerald green look to it
> as it unfurls in the water. Whatever you call us, just don't call us late
> for dinner.
>
> Michael

Marshall Dermer

In article > "Dean Macinskas" > writes:
>Perhaps you buy your Oolongs from B&M shops, but if you do use internet
>sources, which ones do you think have the best selection and quality?
>
>Thanks,
>Dean

I purchase mine he

http://www.oolong-tea.com/

and I most like the Summer Oolong with its
woody, peach-like aroma.

C. H. Yang provides fast and friendly service.

--Marshall

Marshall Dermer

In article > Michael Plant > writes:

>Marshall,
>
>Yes, agreed. Yang's service is good. Which Oolong are you referring to? No
>"summer" oolong on his list at the moment.

Oops! Sorry Michael, I most like the Spring Oolong:

http://www.oolong-tea.com/tea.htm

I guess I literally got a head of myself!

C.H. will also ship, for a modest shipping fee, a free tea sampler:

http://www.oolong-tea.com/freesampler.htm

About two years ago, I bought such a sampler. Some teas were excellent, most
were good, and IMHO, the "Li-Shan" was bad. I wrote to C.H. about the
Li-Shan and he wondered if I wore dentures! Why? Because one of his
customers who wore dentures had reported the same problem!! :-)

Another time I bought some Jasmine Pearl from him, on sale. It was pretty
bad and he actually apologized and refunded my money. (I have since much
enjoyed Rishi's Jasmine Pearl.)

I gather that C.H. is the owner and only worker at his on-line shop.

I'm happy with the service and have most enjoyed the Spring Oolong.

--Marshall
DPM

"Marshall Dermer" > wrote in message
> In article > "Dean Macinskas"

> writes:
> >Perhaps you buy your Oolongs from B&M shops, but if you do use internet
> >sources, which ones do you think have the best selection and quality?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Dean

> I purchase mine he
>
> http://www.oolong-tea.com/
>
> and I most like the Summer Oolong with its
> woody, peach-like aroma.
>
> C. H. Yang provides fast and friendly service.
>
> --Marshall

Thanks, Marshall. I'll give them a try.

Dean

Michael Plant

Marshall /13/04

> In article > Michael Plant
> > writes:
>
>> Marshall,
>>
>> Yes, agreed. Yang's service is good. Which Oolong are you referring to? No
>> "summer" oolong on his list at the moment.

> Oops! Sorry Michael, I most like the Spring Oolong:

Hey, ten lashes for you.

snip snip snip

> About two years ago, I bought such a sampler. Some teas were excellent, most
> were good, and IMHO, the "Li-Shan" was bad. I wrote to C.H. about the
> Li-Shan and he wondered if I wore dentures! Why? Because one of his
> customers who wore dentures had reported the same problem!! :-)

*Very* funny about the dentures. But, about the Li-Shan, which I'm drinking
right now as we speak, through a head cold and stuffed up nose, I'm afraid,
so ignore the rest of this paragraph, I guess: I think it's warm and cuddly
and has enough of a dry bite to be interesting, some nice complex things
happening, a long layered finish. And other stuff I can't perceive in my
stuffed up condition. (I've tried this tea before.) So, which year did you
have it? Maybe our tastes are different. Or...and I think I'm honestly on
to something here....my taste in oolong is not really overly discriminating.
I have friends who are much more particular. What about Yang's aged
DongDing? Did you get a bit of that one?

I'm definitely *not* a jasmine kind of a guy. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll
be putting in my dentures.

Michael

> Another time I bought some Jasmine Pearl from him, on sale. It was pretty
> bad and he actually apologized and refunded my money. (I have since much
> enjoyed Rishi's Jasmine Pearl.)
>
> I gather that C.H. is the owner and only worker at his on-line shop.
>
> I'm happy with the service and have most enjoyed the Spring Oolong.
>
> --Marshall

Marshall Dermer

In article > Michael Plant
> writes:
>*Very* funny about the dentures. But, about the Li-Shan, which I'm drinking
>right now as we speak, through a head cold and stuffed up nose, I'm afraid,
>so ignore the rest of this paragraph, I guess: I think it's warm and cuddly
>and has enough of a dry bite to be interesting, some nice complex things
>happening, a long layered finish. And other stuff I can't perceive in my
>stuffed up condition. (I've tried this tea before.) So, which year did you
>have it? Maybe our tastes are different. Or...and I think I'm honestly on
>to something here....my taste in oolong is not really overly discriminating.
>I have friends who are much more particular. What about Yang's aged
>DongDing? Did you get a bit of that one?

Michael I did but I most enjoyed the Spring Oolong. I drink about 5 cups
of this tea per day and much enjoy it.

--Marshall

"In Pursuit of Balance' (IPOB) [email protected] Wine 1 05-12-2015 10:58 AM
kewl kiosk of really great vendors--you must visit! rosaphilia Wine 1 24-07-2012 04:01 PM
Your satisfactions,Our pursuit! [email protected] General Cooking 0 27-02-2008 04:09 PM
Trivial Pursuit stark Baking 6 20-11-2007 12:38 PM
Great British vs Great American Beer Festivals Bruce Beer 5 23-08-2005 02:38 PM