Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Bavarian Sugar Cookies

Is there such a thing as Bavarian Sugar Cookies? If you've seem the
movie "Stranger than Fiction" with Will Ferrell, you will know this
reference. A reviewer on the film on some website said that he or she
was unable to find such a recipe, and thuse assumed that there is no
such thing. I was unable to find such a recipre myself. On the
message board for this film at IMDb, I posted something about all this
and received this response:
"The Bavarian cookie is more a style than a specific cookie such as an
oatmeal cookie. Bavarian cookies are very thin nearly paper like and
never chewy. they are often sold in sleeves like Pringles but of
course are flat. They are most often ginger cookies or lemon or plain
sugar cookies-- they are quite lovely. I worked in a bakery and a food
magazine. Enjoy your search!"

Does anyone know for sure?

Posted to rec.food.baking

On 30 Apr 2007 19:53:54 -0700, jannghi > wrote:

>"The Bavarian cookie is more a style than a specific cookie such as an
>oatmeal cookie. Bavarian cookies are very thin nearly paper like and
>never chewy. they are often sold in sleeves like Pringles but of
>course are flat. They are most often ginger cookies or lemon or plain
>sugar cookies-- they are quite lovely.

A couple of local gourmet food shops carry them in lemon, ginger, orange, and (I
think) lime flavors. They come in packages about 7" x 2" x 2" with a clear
plastic window. The cookies are about 1/16" thick, and quite crisp.

-- Larry
Posted to rec.food.baking

> A couple of local gourmet food shops carry them in lemon, ginger, orange, and (I
> think) lime flavors. They come in packages about 7" x 2" x 2" with a clear
> plastic window. The cookies are about 1/16" thick, and quite crisp.
>
> -- Larry

Is there a recipe for this?

Posted to rec.food.baking

jannghi wrote:
>> A couple of local gourmet food shops carry them in lemon, ginger, orange, and (I
>> think) lime flavors. They come in packages about 7" x 2" x 2" with a clear
>> plastic window. The cookies are about 1/16" thick, and quite crisp.
>>
>> -- Larry

> Is there a recipe for this?

An old friend used to send us a box of these every Christmas.
They were called Moravian Cookies, and were extremely thin, crisp,
gingery molasses cookies. Came in various simple shapes, like scalloped
circles, etc.
You can still find the on line, but there are recipes as well...

From Google: http://tinyurl.com/yurvg3

Dave
Posted to rec.food.baking

jannghi schrieb:
Hello jannghi,
> Is there such a thing as Bavarian Sugar Cookies? If you've seem the
> movie "Stranger than Fiction" with Will Ferrell, you will know this
> reference. A reviewer on the film on some website said that he or she
> was unable to find such a recipe, and thuse assumed that there is no
> such thing. I was unable to find such a recipre myself. On the
> message board for this film at IMDb, I posted something about all this
> and received this response:
> "The Bavarian cookie is more a style than a specific cookie .........

========== REZKONV-Rezept - RezkonvSuite v1.02

Titel: Bayrisches Buttergebäck
Kategorien: Backen, Gebäck, Weihnachten
Menge: 80 Stück

=========================== FÜR DEN TEIG ===========================
300 Gramm Mehl
250 Gramm Kalte Butter
80 Gramm Zucker
1 Eigelb
1 Prise Salz

============================= AUSSERDEM =============================
1 Eiweiss
50 Gramm Puderzucker

============================== QUELLE ==============================
Zeitschrift "Für Sie" - Sonderheft "Weihnachten"
-- Erfasst *RK* 10.11.2003 von
-- Peter Mess

1. Mehl und Butterstückchen verkneten. Zucker. Eigelb und Salz
unterkneten. Teig zu einer Kugel formen und abgedeckt ca. 30 Minuten
kalt stellen.

2. Teig portionsweise auf leicht bemehlter Arbeitsfläche 3-4 mm dick
ausrollen. Mit Plätzchenausstechern zum Beispiel Monde, Tannenbäume und
Sternschnuppen (6-8 cm gross) ausstechen. Auf ein mit Backpapier
belegtes Backblech legen.

3. Eiweiss und Puderzucker verrühren. Plätzchen damit bepinseln. Bei 225
Grad auf mittlerer Schiene ca. 5 Minuten backen. Auskühlen lassen.

=====

Posted to rec.food.baking

THANKS FOR SHAREING THIS WONDERFUL
RECIPE???????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????

Posted to rec.food.baking

On May 3, 6:58 pm, (Mary~~ Smokey) wrote:
> THANKS FOR SHAREING THIS WONDERFUL
> RECIPE???????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????

A simple copy and paste onto Babelfish will make this recipe clear
enough to understand. Below is my rendition using the tools of
cyberspace and online translators. Its a rough attempt, which should
be accurate enough.

========== REZKONV-Rezept - RezkonvSuite v1.02
Titel: Bayrisches Buttergebäck -Bavarian Butter Cookies?
Kategorien: Backen, Gebäck, Weihnachten Categories: Baking/Pastry,
Christmas?
Menge: 80 Stück Makes approx 80 Cookies.

=========================== FÜR DEN TEIG ===========================
300 Gramm Flour
250 Gramm Cold Butter
80 Gramm Sugar
1 Egg Yolk
1 pinch of Salt

============================= AUSSERDEM =============================
1 Egg White
50 Gramm Icing/Powdered Sugar

============================== QUELLE ==============================
Zeitschrift "Für Sie" - Sonderheft "Weihnachten"
-- Erfasst *RK* 10.11.2003 von
-- Peter Mess

1. Combine Butter and Flour. Then add sugar. Fold in Egg Yolk and
Salt. Form dough into a ball, cover, and place in cold place/
refrigerator for 30 mins.

2. Take out dough and roll out dough to a sheet of 3-4mm thick. With
cookie cutters, cut into desired shapes about 6-8 cm large. Place
cutouts on metal backing sheet with parchment/baking paper.

3.Paint the cookies with the eggwhite and powdered sugar mixture (you
will have to mix these two to form an icing or glaze). Place the tray
of cookies inthe over at 225 Celcius (approx 435 F) Place on the
middle rack.Bake for 5 minutes. Let cool. (I assume remove from
oven?)

Hope that helps. I'm going to try that recipe tonight!

sugar cookies with oil George M. Middius[_2_] General Cooking 5 17-02-2012 08:58 PM
Sugar Cookies chefrwmiller Recipes (moderated) 0 19-12-2006 04:20 AM
Sugar Cookies Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-12-2005 04:05 PM
Sugar Cookies Duckie ® Recipes 0 13-07-2005 01:23 AM
Sugar Cookies Shanelle Baking 5 10-11-2003 12:37 PM