Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default sugar cookies with oil

does anybody have access to a recipe from a '70s edition of Joy of
Cooking? It had a recipe for "Sugar Drop Cookies with Oil" that was
unique. Or at least the results were unique. The cookies came out
light and crisp. I've been trying recipes I found on the Web and none
of them yielded as nice a cookie.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George M. Middius" > wrote in message
> does anybody have access to a recipe from a '70s edition of Joy of
> Cooking? It had a recipe for "Sugar Drop Cookies with Oil" that was
> unique. Or at least the results were unique. The cookies came out
> light and crisp. I've been trying recipes I found on the Web and none
> of them yielded as nice a cookie.

Could it be this?

http://www.food.com/recipe/Grandmas-...-Cookies-11345

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George*M.*Middius wrote:

>does anybody have access to a recipe
> from a '70s edition of Joy of Cooking? It
> had a recipe for "Sugar Drop Cookies
> with Oil" that was unique. Or at least
> the results were unique. The cookies
> came out light and crisp. I've been trying
> recipes I found on the Web and none of
> them yielded as nice a cookie.

The Joy Of Cooking edition I have came out in the 50's and the Sugar
Drop Cookie recipe in there lists the ingredients as:
1/2 cup butter
6 tbsp. brown sugar
6 tbsp. white sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup plus 2 tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda

Anyway this recipe doesn't call for oil.

I've tried lots of recipes for drop sugar cookies over the years, and
one that is very good and uses oil AND butter/margarine, so maybe you'd
want to try those?

Fairy Drop Cookies

1 cup cooking oil
1 cup butter, or margarine
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
2 eggs
4 cups plus 2 tbsp. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. salt (I cut in half)
1 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix all together and form into balls and place on ungreased cookie
sheets and press down with the bottom of a glass, greased on the bottom
and dipped in granulated sugar ( did it in the sugar for each cookie).
Bake at 350º for 12 to 15 minutes. Makes A BIG batch, but they get
eaten up quickly.

Good Luck!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy Haffner wrote:

>George*M.*Middius wrote:
>
>>does anybody have access to a recipe
>> from a '70s edition of Joy of Cooking? It
>> had a recipe for "Sugar Drop Cookies
>> with Oil" that was unique. Or at least
>> the results were unique. The cookies
>> came out light and crisp. I've been trying
>> recipes I found on the Web and none of
>> them yielded as nice a cookie.

>The Joy Of Cooking edition I have came out in the 50's and the Sugar
>Drop Cookie recipe in there lists the ingredients as:
>1/2 cup butter
>6 tbsp. brown sugar
>6 tbsp. white sugar
>1 egg
>1/2 tsp. vanilla
>1 cup plus 2 tbsp. flour
>1/2 tsp. salt
>1/2 tsp. baking soda
>
>Anyway this recipe doesn't call for oil.
>
>I've tried lots of recipes for drop sugar cookies over the years, and
>one that is very good and uses oil AND butter/margarine, so maybe you'd
>want to try those?
>
>Fairy Drop Cookies
>
>1 cup cooking oil
>1 cup butter, or margarine
>1 cup granulated sugar
>1 cup powdered sugar
>2 eggs
>4 cups plus 2 tbsp. flour
>1 tsp. baking soda
>1 tsp. cream of tartar
>1 tsp. salt (I cut in half)
>1 tsp. almond extract
>1 tsp. vanilla
>
>Mix all together and form into balls and place on ungreased cookie
>sheets and press down with the bottom of a glass, greased on the bottom
>and dipped in granulated sugar ( did it in the sugar for each cookie).
>Bake at 350º for 12 to 15 minutes. Makes A BIG batch, but they get
>eaten up quickly.
>
>Good Luck!
>
>Judy

Fairy Drop cookies? Really? Well, I'll give it a try, but without
almond extract. Maybe orange or lemon instead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

>"George M. Middius" > wrote in message
.. .
>> does anybody have access to a recipe from a '70s edition of Joy of
>> Cooking? It had a recipe for "Sugar Drop Cookies with Oil" that was
>> unique. Or at least the results were unique. The cookies came out
>> light and crisp. I've been trying recipes I found on the Web and none
>> of them yielded as nice a cookie.

>Could it be this?
>
>http://www.food.com/recipe/Grandmas-...-Cookies-11345

Similar, isn't it? Most cookie recipes using soda rather than baking
powder.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

>Fairy Drop cookies? Really? Well, I'll
> give it a try, but without almond extract.
> Maybe orange or lemon instead.

Lemon would make a good substitution, if you don't care for almond
flavoring (I love it!) as I have made other drop sugar cookies, that
call for lemon extract.

When my grandchildren help me make them, they like to flatten them some
with a fork and sprinkle the tops with multi-colored baking sprinkles.

Judy

Sugar cookies kaz General Cooking 9 19-12-2006 04:38 PM
Sugar Cookies chefrwmiller Recipes (moderated) 0 19-12-2006 04:20 AM
Sugar Cookies Duckie ® Recipes 0 08-12-2005 04:05 PM
Sugar Cookies Duckie ® Recipes 0 13-07-2005 01:23 AM
Sugar Cookies Shanelle Baking 5 10-11-2003 12:37 PM