Posted to rec.food.baking
KD KD is offline

Default dumb question - baking chocolate

So, if my receipe calls for four squares of baking chocolate, does that
mean two of the wrapped pieces in the box of Bakers Chocolate that
seems to be in two pieces that are stuck together?

Or does one of those wrapped bits that looks like two pieces equal one
square?

KD

Posted to rec.food.baking

"KD" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> So, if my receipe calls for four squares of baking chocolate, does that
> mean two of the wrapped pieces in the box of Bakers Chocolate that
> seems to be in two pieces that are stuck together?
>
> Or does one of those wrapped bits that looks like two pieces equal one
> square?
>
> KD

I don't know the answer to the squares - I never figured it out myself, but
once I started using recipes using ounces, it was much easier. I'm thinking
perhaps a very similar recipe calling for ounces instead of squares might be
less confusing.
Good luck.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.baking

My first guess is four of the wrapped pieces. That's why I like recipes
that give measurments in weights! But I'd still say four squares is four
squares - four wrapped. By the way - there are no dumb questions. wendy
> So, if my receipe calls for four squares of baking chocolate, does that
> mean two of the wrapped pieces in the box of Bakers Chocolate that
> seems to be in two pieces that are stuck together?
>
> Or does one of those wrapped bits that looks like two pieces equal one
> square?
>
> KD

then reply to the confirmation request.

Posted to rec.food.baking

My Mom has worked with baking chocolate for years. Use four wrapped
squares.

KD wrote:

> So, if my receipe calls for four squares of baking chocolate, does that
> mean two of the wrapped pieces in the box of Bakers Chocolate that
> seems to be in two pieces that are stuck together?
>
> Or does one of those wrapped bits that looks like two pieces equal one
> square?
>
> KD

Posted to rec.food.baking
KD KD is offline

deepeddygirl wrote:
> My Mom has worked with baking chocolate for years. Use four wrapped
> squares.
>
> KD wrote:
>
> > So, if my receipe calls for four squares of baking chocolate, does that
> > mean two of the wrapped pieces in the box of Bakers Chocolate that
> > seems to be in two pieces that are stuck together?
> >
> > Or does one of those wrapped bits that looks like two pieces equal one
> > square?
> >
> > KD

Thanks everyone! No wonder my cookies sucked yesterday, I only used
half the chocolate I needed! Well, I shall try, try again...

KD

Posted to rec.food.baking

Take a close look at the box, 8 ounce box is labeled; "contains 8
individually wrapped 1oz squares"

Use 4 of the wrapped squares.

Rina

"KD" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> So, if my receipe calls for four squares of baking chocolate, does that
> mean two of the wrapped pieces in the box of Bakers Chocolate that
> seems to be in two pieces that are stuck together?
>
> Or does one of those wrapped bits that looks like two pieces equal one
> square?
>
> KD

Posted to rec.food.baking
KD KD is offline

Rina wrote:
> Take a close look at the box, 8 ounce box is labeled; "contains 8
> individually wrapped 1oz squares"
>
> Use 4 of the wrapped squares.
>
> Rina
>
> "KD" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> > So, if my receipe calls for four squares of baking chocolate, does that
> > mean two of the wrapped pieces in the box of Bakers Chocolate that
> > seems to be in two pieces that are stuck together?
> >
> > Or does one of those wrapped bits that looks like two pieces equal one
> > square?
> >
> > KD

That would be helpful advice to an American. However, in Canada, no box
is labelled with the number of ounces. We use metric. The number of
grams wouldn't help much in this case.

Plus, I buy my chocolate at a bulk store. Environmentally friendly, no
packaging.

K\D

Posted to rec.food.baking

> That would be helpful advice to an American. However, in Canada, no box
> is labeled with the number of ounces. We use metric. The number of
> grams wouldn't help much in this case.
>
> Plus, I buy my chocolate at a bulk store. Environmentally friendly, no
> packaging.
>
> K\D

You asked about "wrapped pieces in the box of Bakers Chocolate"
Here in the USA Bakers is a Brand of chocolate, it comes in 8 oz boxes
(226g) . The Nutrition facts lists 1/2 square as 14g .

If your chocolate isn't wrapped and doesn't come in a box I don't understand
why you asked...

Rina

>>So, if my receipe calls for four squares of baking chocolate, does that
>>mean two of the wrapped pieces in the box of Bakers Chocolate that
>>seems to be in two pieces that are stuck together?

>>Or does one of those wrapped bits that looks like two pieces equal one
>>square?

Posted to rec.food.baking
KD KD is offline

Rina wrote:
> > That would be helpful advice to an American. However, in Canada, no box
> > is labeled with the number of ounces. We use metric. The number of
> > grams wouldn't help much in this case.
> >
> > Plus, I buy my chocolate at a bulk store. Environmentally friendly, no
> > packaging.
> >
> > K\D

> You asked about "wrapped pieces in the box of Bakers Chocolate"
> Here in the USA Bakers is a Brand of chocolate, it comes in 8 oz boxes
> (226g) . The Nutrition facts lists 1/2 square as 14g .
>
> If your chocolate isn't wrapped and doesn't come in a box I don't understand
> why you asked...
>
> Rina
>
> >>So, if my receipe calls for four squares of baking chocolate, does that
> >>mean two of the wrapped pieces in the box of Bakers Chocolate that
> >>seems to be in two pieces that are stuck together?

> >>Or does one of those wrapped bits that looks like two pieces equal one
> >>square?

Well, don't worry about it. I already got my answer, will know better
next time.

Posted to rec.food.baking

In article . com>,
"KD" > wrote:

> Rina wrote:
> > Take a close look at the box, 8 ounce box is labeled; "contains 8
> > individually wrapped 1oz squares"
> >
> > Use 4 of the wrapped squares.
> >
> > Rina
> >
> > "KD" > wrote in message
> > ps.com...
> > > So, if my receipe calls for four squares of baking chocolate, does that
> > > mean two of the wrapped pieces in the box of Bakers Chocolate that
> > > seems to be in two pieces that are stuck together?
> > >
> > > Or does one of those wrapped bits that looks like two pieces equal one
> > > square?
> > >
> > > KD
> > >

> That would be helpful advice to an American. However, in Canada, no box
> is labelled with the number of ounces. We use metric. The number of
> grams wouldn't help much in this case.
>
> Plus, I buy my chocolate at a bulk store. Environmentally friendly, no
> packaging.
>
> K\D

In that case, if your recipe calls for 4 squares of baking chocolate,
convert 4 ounces into metric weight and measure accordingly.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
"Maligning an individual says more about you than the one you malign."

http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
12/11, Christmas Gift Assortments

http://jamlady.eboard.com