Posted to rec.food.baking

Default No-knead bread

The recipe:
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?em&ex=1163221200&en=f0db6198c16c915c& ei=5087%0A>

The science and story behind it:
<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/08mini.html?em&ex=1163221200&en=af211bf41e143498&e i=5087%0A>

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006, Bob (this one) wrote:

> The recipe:
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?em&ex=1163221200&en=f0db6198c16c915c& ei=5087%0A>
>
> The science and story behind it:
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/08mini.html?em&ex=1163221200&en=af211bf41e143498&e i=5087%0A>
>
> Pastorio

Or, for those like me, who have to re-assemble long URLs:

http://tinyurl.com/y38dym

http://tinyurl.com/uazou

respectively...

Dave
Posted to rec.food.baking

Bob (this one) wrote:
> The recipe:
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?em&ex=1163221200&en=f0db6198c16c915c& ei=5087%0A>
>
> The science and story behind it:
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/08mini.html?em&ex=1163221200&en=af211bf41e143498&e i=5087%0A>
>
> Pastorio

Thank you for posting this- I wish I had a big covered pot I could use.
I have a round clear pyrex bowl with a lid- it's kinda small, but I
suppose I could try to make a 1# or so loaf- think it's worth a try? I
also have starter, so I would try to use that. Have you tried it?

Posted to rec.food.baking

<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...163221200&en=f
0db6198c16c915c&ei=5087%0A>

> The science and story behind it:

<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...63221200&en=af
211bf41e143498&ei=5087%0A>

> Pastorio

This recipe calls for 1/4 t yeast, and 1 1/4 t salt. Can that be right? It
seems to me that it should be the other way around...

Joe

Posted to rec.food.baking

Joe Pak wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
>
>>The recipe:
>>

> <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...163221200&en=f
> 0db6198c16c915c&ei=5087%0A>
>
>>The science and story behind it:
>>

> <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...63221200&en=af
> 211bf41e143498&ei=5087%0A>
>
>>Pastorio

> This recipe calls for 1/4 t yeast, and 1 1/4 t salt. Can that be right? It
> seems to me that it should be the other way around...
>
> Joe

Not at all, Joe! The whole point of this recipe was to make a very
lomg, slow rise, starting from a very small amount of yeast.

1.5 t salt to my calculated/weighed 524 g of flour is a little under 3%.
I usually use 2%, but this was definately not too much.

Dave

Posted to rec.food.baking

If
1.5 t= 1.5 teaspoon.. and .if that is salt then a teaspoon of salt is
about 5 grams then one and half tsp will be 7.5grams divided by 524
grams flour x 100 that is about 1.4% based on flour weight.

Dave Bell wrote:
> Joe Pak wrote:
>

> Not at all, Joe! The whole point of this recipe was to make a very
> lomg, slow rise, starting from a very small amount of yeast.
>
> 1.5 t salt to my calculated/weighed 524 g of flour is a little under 3%.
> I usually use 2%, but this was definately not too much.
>
> Dave

Posted to rec.food.baking

"Dave Bell" > wrote in message
> Joe Pak wrote:
>
> > "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> >
> >>The recipe:

<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...163221200&en=f
> > 0db6198c16c915c&ei=5087%0A>
> >
> >>The science and story behind it:

<http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...63221200&en=af
> > 211bf41e143498&ei=5087%0A>
> >
> >>Pastorio

> > This recipe calls for 1/4 t yeast, and 1 1/4 t salt. Can that be right?

It
> > seems to me that it should be the other way around...
> >
> > Joe
> >

> Not at all, Joe! The whole point of this recipe was to make a very
> lomg, slow rise, starting from a very small amount of yeast.
>
> 1.5 t salt to my calculated/weighed 524 g of flour is a little under 3%.
> I usually use 2%, but this was definately not too much.
>
> Dave

OK Dave, I'm going to make a loaf this weekend. What diameter pot did you
use?

Joe

Posted to rec.food.baking

Joe Pak wrote:

> "Dave Bell" > wrote in message
>
>>Joe Pak wrote:

> <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...163221200&en=f
>
>>>0db6198c16c915c&ei=5087%0A>

> <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...63221200&en=af
>
>>>211bf41e143498&ei=5087%0A>

>>>This recipe calls for 1/4 t yeast, and 1 1/4 t salt. Can that be right?

> It
>
>>>seems to me that it should be the other way around...
>>>
>>>Joe
>>>

>>Not at all, Joe! The whole point of this recipe was to make a very
>>lomg, slow rise, starting from a very small amount of yeast.
>>
>>1.5 t salt to my calculated/weighed 524 g of flour is a little under 3%.
>>I usually use 2%, but this was definately not too much.
>>
>>Dave

> OK Dave, I'm going to make a loaf this weekend. What diameter pot did you
> use?
>
> Joe

I used 10" ID, 8 qt pot, but I think it was a little too large.
Next time, I'll go with a deepish 6 qt.
On the other hand, I was using spelt flour, which doesn't rise or spring
as much as wheat...

Dave
Posted to rec.food.baking

Merryb wrote:
> Bob (this one) wrote:
>> The recipe:
>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html?em&ex=1163221200&en=f0db6198c16c915c& ei=5087%0A>
>>
>> The science and story behind it:
>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/08mini.html?em&ex=1163221200&en=af211bf41e143498&e i=5087%0A>
>>
>> Pastorio

> Thank you for posting this- I wish I had a big covered pot I could use.
> I have a round clear pyrex bowl with a lid- it's kinda small, but I
> suppose I could try to make a 1# or so loaf- think it's worth a try? I
> also have starter, so I would try to use that. Have you tried it?

Don't mess around with the recipe until you've done it once
the way the creator designed it. Otherwise, you'll never
understand it. Don't use a starter. Don't try to scale it.
Don't try to do it in a small bowl. Do it right once.

I've tried it a few times and I like the results.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.baking

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in
:

> The recipe:
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...&ex=1163221200
> &en=f0db6198c16c915c&ei=5087%0A>
>
> The science and story behind it:
> <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...ex=1163221200&
> en=af211bf41e143498&ei=5087%0A>
>
> Pastorio

Yawn,

http://www.labellecuisine.com/archiv...meal_bread.htm

--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved

Posted to rec.food.baking

In article . 201>,
Charles Quinn > wrote:

> Yawn,
>
> http://www.labellecuisine.com/archiv...meal_bread.htm

Except that the recipe says "Knead it...."

--
to reply
replace "spamless.invalid" with "verizon.net"
Posted to rec.food.baking

Charles Quinn wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in
> :
>
>> The recipe:
>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...&ex=1163221200
>> &en=f0db6198c16c915c&ei=5087%0A>
>>
>> The science and story behind it:
>> <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...ex=1163221200&
>> en=af211bf41e143498&ei=5087%0A>
>>
>> Pastorio

> Yawn,
>
> http://www.labellecuisine.com/archiv...meal_bread.htm

<LOL> For a moron, you sure are a moron. I assume that yawn
is a supercilious gesture to show us all how much smarter
you are. Does "crash and burn" have a familiar ring?

Says in that Yaaaaaawwwwnnnnn recipe "Knead it, roll it in
flour and
put it right back in the bowl you mixed it up in. Cover the
bowl and go
to sleep."

Well, you got the "go to sleep" part right even if you
missed the "knead" part.

That recipe has eight ingredients. The above from the Times
has four.

Save your yawns for any more Muppet-like brainstorms you
might have like this. Ooops. Oh look. You've managed to pee
on *both* shoes this time.

Pastorio