Posted to rec.food.baking

Default future pastry chef

Hello fellow bakers,
I love to cook, and I really love the dessert part of it all. So in
consideration of going to culinary school, I was thinking of focusing
on becoming a pastry chef. There is a school in NY that I am
considering, but the career choice, in general, is what I want to learn
more about. If anyone out there has words of wisdom, helpful hints,
tips, or suggestions I would appreciate it. I look forward to every
ounce of knowledge that I can gain.
Thanks,
angela

Posted to rec.food.baking

momof2girls wrote:
> Hello fellow bakers,
> I love to cook, and I really love the dessert part of it all. So in
> consideration of going to culinary school, I was thinking of focusing

I've never done this so I can't tell you what it's like other than to
say I have 2 friends who became pastry chefs and promptly quit the biz.
I think you should give serious thought to the difference between
doing something as a hobby or for fun or as a necessity versus it being
a job. When especially hobbies become jobs, they often lose their
lustre really fast as you find yourself not doing the "art" as much as
the business. You think you might be designing desserts but maybe you
have to spend years filling eclairs and frosting someone's else's cakes
before you get to do what you want. Anyway, that's all speculation so
you're right to find some folks who've done it.
Posted to rec.food.baking

momof2girls wrote:
> Hello fellow bakers,
> I love to cook, and I really love the dessert part of it all. So in
> consideration of going to culinary school, I was thinking of focusing

I've never done this so I can't tell you what it's like other than to
say I have 2 friends who became pastry chefs and promptly quit the biz.
I think you should give serious thought to the difference between
doing something as a hobby or for fun or as a necessity versus it being
a job. When especially hobbies become jobs, they often lose their
lustre really fast as you find yourself not doing the "art" as much as
the business. You think you might be designing desserts but maybe you
have to spend years filling eclairs and frosting someone's else's cakes
before you get to do what you want. Anyway, that's all speculation so
you're right to find some folks who've done it.
Posted to rec.food.baking

Ham Sulu wrote:
> momof2girls wrote:
> > Hello fellow bakers,
> > I love to cook, and I really love the dessert part of it all. So in
> > consideration of going to culinary school, I was thinking of focusing

> I've never done this so I can't tell you what it's like other than to
> say I have 2 friends who became pastry chefs and promptly quit the biz.
> I think you should give serious thought to the difference between
> doing something as a hobby or for fun or as a necessity versus it being
> a job. When especially hobbies become jobs, they often lose their
> lustre really fast as you find yourself not doing the "art" as much as
> the business. You think you might be designing desserts but maybe you
> have to spend years filling eclairs and frosting someone's else's cakes
> before you get to do what you want. Anyway, that's all speculation so
> you're right to find some folks who've done it.

Been there, done that. Unfortunately, unless you own your own business,
you will work very hard for very little money. I did enjoy it, but
unless you find a niche/work for yourself or get lucky enough to find a
boss/clientele with taste it's a tough business. That's why I'm in the
freight business for the time being!

Posted to rec.food.baking

I am currently a chef and the only reason I continue is because I love the food! The hours are long, the work hard, depending on where you end up working will also be a large factor - although I am a line chef, I am having to cover two sections at the moment - as we are short staffed -but- luckily this is helping with my pastry experience.
Hope the course goes well if you decide to go for it - maybe you could try and do some weekend or volunteer work to try it out and see if you like the atmosphere - most chefs that I have worked with love to share their knowledge and if they see you are keen I like to think that they would give you some pointers.

Regards

Iain B.

Subscribe to Cooking up a storm.
http://www.itbassociates.co.uk/cooklist.html