Posted to alt.food.asian

Default Chinese Duck

I'm talking about ones you see hanging in the windows of the Chinese
restaurants that seem to be patronized by lots of Chinese and few
westerners, almost fast-food places, not the ones with tablecloths.
Behind the ducks (and other hanging poultry and what looks like ribs)
there's a guy with a cleaver and a chopping block...a lot of jabbering
in Chinese, a few whacks with the cleaver, and presumably another
happy customer.

Well, I have a hankering to try this duck but there's a problem, the
same problem with all non-westernized ethnic groups, and that's that
the establishment offers little or no help to anyone not of the ethnic
group in understanding what's being sold, how to eat it etc. It's
almost as though they don't want to make money except off their own
group.

So, in the hopes that some of you have been through the experience of
purchasing this type of duck...

- I want to take it away. OK?

- I want to buy it about 11.00am and eat it about 8.00pm. Any problem
with re-heating it in the microwave?

- Is there a sauce that goes with it? Should I ask or will this just
make me seem an idiot foreigner?

- I'll probably be feeding 4 people (light eaters) with this and other
Chinese food. Should I buy a whole duck? Or would this create an
endless source of amusement to the counter jockey?

- Should I have it cut up? I.e., let cleaver-boy have his fun. Or will
they automatically do this?

- Is there something like: "No one in their right mind would ever
order the duck without requiring detachment of the head and neck" or
"the place will lop off those parts automatically and just keep them"
or "Don't be so stupid! Doesn't everyone know that the bird not only
has to be de-necked and de-headed but also the guts (still inside)
have to be removed."

Are there different types of duck? Perhaps smoked, bar-b-cued, or
marinated in the blood of 75 virgins <g>.

You can see I'm looking forward to this...

Any help will be appreciated.

Posted to alt.food.asian

wrote:
> I'm talking about ones you see hanging in the windows of the Chinese
> restaurants that seem to be patronized by lots of Chinese and few
> westerners, almost fast-food places, not the ones with tablecloths.
> Behind the ducks (and other hanging poultry and what looks like ribs)
> there's a guy with a cleaver and a chopping block...a lot of jabbering
> in Chinese, a few whacks with the cleaver, and presumably another
> happy customer.
>
> Well, I have a hankering to try this duck but there's a problem, the
> same problem with all non-westernized ethnic groups, and that's that
> the establishment offers little or no help to anyone not of the ethnic
> group in understanding what's being sold, how to eat it etc. It's
> almost as though they don't want to make money except off their own
> group.

If they speak no English, you've found the right place, but you'll hafta
use sign language! First try, "Barbecued duck to go (takeaway in UK)?"

> So, in the hopes that some of you have been through the experience of
> purchasing this type of duck...
>
> - I want to take it away. OK?

Assuming no English, after pointing to the bird of your dreams, pantomime
carrying it out in a bag. You indicated no tables, so should be
self-evident.

> - I want to buy it about 11.00am and eat it about 8.00pm. Any problem
> with re-heating it in the microwave?

Might make the skin a little less than perfect. Maybe re-heating in a Very
Slow (200° F or 95° C) oven would be better.

> - Is there a sauce that goes with it? Should I ask or will this just
> make me seem an idiot foreigner?

Wake up! You ARE an idiot furriner. ;-0 Gesture pouring, then a questioning
shrug. If they're laughing, go with the flow. Big smile, nodding yes.
Believe me, they're glad you've honored them by coming in . . . gringo!

> - I'll probably be feeding 4 people (light eaters) with this and other
> Chinese food. Should I buy a whole duck? Or would this create an
> endless source of amusement to the counter jockey?

Buy a whole duck. You're out to delight your guests. Amusing the counter
jockey is a bonus! Laugh with him.

> - Should I have it cut up? I.e., let cleaver-boy have his fun. Or will
> they automatically do this?

Make questioning chopping gestures if he doesn't. My wife buys 'em whole,
my kids have 'em cut up.

> - Is there something like: "No one in their right mind would ever
> order the duck without requiring detachment of the head and neck" or
> "the place will lop off those parts automatically and just keep them"
> or "Don't be so stupid! Doesn't everyone know that the bird not only
> has to be de-necked and de-headed but also the guts (still inside)
> have to be removed."

Necks, heads (except lips) and feet are all edible. Nobody cooks a bird
with the guts still in except a very young new bride.

> Are there different types of duck? Perhaps smoked, bar-b-cued,

Pick what looks good. Remember what it looked like and how it tasted/was
received. Try the other one(s) next time.

> marinated in the blood of 75 virgins <g>.

Do NOT buy a duck that looks like a tampon.

> You can see I'm looking forward to this...
>
> Any help will be appreciated.

I hope I've been some help. I am sincere in my comments, if a bit jocular.
If you have access to an Asian poultry store and an offset cooker, there's
nothing like doing your own. Methods/recipes on request.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

Posted to alt.food.asian

>- I want to take it away. OK?
That's what we do all the time. If you don't sit down at the table
they'll know it's just take out.

>- I want to buy it about 11.00am and eat it about 8.00pm.
> Any problem with re-heating it in the microwave?

As others have mentioned, use the oven. We have it at room temp (that's
how it's served at the restaurent.)

>- Is there a sauce that goes with it?

They usually ladle over a sauce made from the drippings. Some would
also give you small containers of plum sauce.

>- I'll probably be feeding 4 people (light eaters) with this and other
> Chinese food. Should I buy a whole duck?

Depends on what else you are serving but whole would be better. There's
not a whole lot of meat.

>- Should I have it cut up? I.e., let cleaver-boy have his fun.

They automatically chop it up. You can request larger pieces perhaps,
if they understand you (the cashier probably would).

>- Is there something like: "No one in their right mind would ever
> order the duck without requiring detachment of the head and neck"

Here in Toronto they put the head and neck in the take out containers;
you can discard them yourself.

>Are there different types of duck?

Yes, but I don't know what's available in your area. There's the basic
roast duck "siu aap" (roasted on a spit); hanging-roasted duck "gwa-low
aap" (skin more crispy); Flattened duck "pay-pa app" (the duck is slit
down the side, flattened then roasted - more crispy, meat is drier),
and there may even be roast goose as well.

Posted to alt.food.asian

>Twas me who wrote:

"Tippi" > wrote:

I had my whole duck over the weekend. I had a choice of four
"restaurants" all with hanging poultry (Ave U in Brooklyn NY if anyone
comes from the area) so I picked the one with the most activity and a
couple of Westerners in the line. The cashier spoke some English and
certainly understood "duck" and "whole" although she felt that she had
to write down the price ($13) and show it to me. Some other comments
follow:

>>- Is there a sauce that goes with it?

>They usually ladle over a sauce made from the drippings. Some would
>also give you small containers of plum sauce.

No sauce ladled over anything but the bird was quite moist. I asked if
there was a sauce and the cashier pointed to the tiny containers of
soy sauce already placed in the take-out aluminum foil boxes. She said
"Soy sauce"; not my inference!

I served it with Lee Kum Kee's Plum sauce.

>>- I'll probably be feeding 4 people (light eaters) with this and other
>> Chinese food. Should I buy a whole duck?

>Depends on what else you are serving but whole would be better. There's
>not a whole lot of meat.

Plenty enough for 4 on the whole duck especially as we had a coconut
shrimp starter.

>>- Should I have it cut up? I.e., let cleaver-boy have his fun.

>They automatically chop it up. You can request larger pieces perhaps,
>if they understand you (the cashier probably would).

She asked if I wanted it cut up. Something like "Cut up?". I nodded
assent and cleaver-boy went to town.

>>- Is there something like: "No one in their right mind would ever
>> order the duck without requiring detachment of the head and neck"

>Here in Toronto they put the head and neck in the take out containers;
>you can discard them yourself.

The head and neck disappeared sometime between cleaver-boy taking it
out of the window and him packing it into the aluminum foil
containers.

>>Are there different types of duck?

>Yes, but I don't know what's available in your area. There's the basic
>roast duck "siu aap" (roasted on a spit); hanging-roasted duck "gwa-low
>aap" (skin more crispy); Flattened duck "pay-pa app" (the duck is slit
>down the side, flattened then roasted - more crispy, meat is drier),
>and there may even be roast goose as well.

The duck had a very glossy brownish-red skin, not particularly crispy.
I did see one (but only one to the dozens of normals) that looked like
it had been butterflied.

One further question: I noticed a bird hanging there, smaller than the
duck, whitish in color, looks like it was wrapped in parchment paper
with some green leaves (like parsley) on the inside. The parchment
paper looked oily and the bird seemed to be dripping. Any idea what
this might be?

Since we're on a roll what does the goose look like?