Posted to alt.food.asian

Default hundred layers pancakes. hundred layer pancakes.

What are hundred layers pancakes or hundred layer pancakes?...

Posted to alt.food.asian
Rona Y

I would guess that's it's something like mille crepe.
http://www.enomoto-cake.com/4mille_crepe.htm has the clearest picture I
could find. It's basically crepes layered with some kind of
filling--the one I made was cream with cream cheese alternating with
blueberry jam. You can have as many layers as you want, or as you have
the patience to make.

This kind of dessert is very popular in Japan right now, and I read a
couple of years ago in the NYT that it can be had for quite a lot of
money in New York--something like $50+ for a whole one.

Posted to alt.food.asian
ggull

" > wrote...
> What are hundred layers pancakes or hundred layer pancakes?...

I wonder if this is at all similar to piki, a (usually ceremonial?) blue
corn bread of the Hopi Indians, which consists of many very thin layers. My
recollection (it's been a decade since I've had it) is that it has dozens,
if not a hundred, layers, though it may just seem more since the 'pancakes'
are rolled into a tube once stacked. Here's a couple of links:

http://www.acaciart.com/stories/piki.htm

http://www.indiansun.net/recipe_pikibread.htm

Posted to alt.food.asian
Tippi

I've had an Indonesian cake, kueh lapis, which is made by brushing a
thin layer of batter into a pan, baking a few minutes till it's done,
taken out and another thin layer brushed on and baked, and so on. If
you're REALLY patient, I guess you can make a hunderd layers!

There is another version, it might have been German, instead of a pan
and baking, it's done by brushing layers of batter onto a spit and
roasting on fire, so when it's done and cut it looks like a tree
complete with rings.

And the Chinese version, thousand layer cake, is make by steaming not
baking.

Posted to alt.food.asian

I just saw it on Sugar Rush. The host visited Lady M:

http://www.ladymconfections.com/

Posted to alt.food.asian

Actually, what you had was not quite "kueh lapis".
If it was a "batter", then it was "Spekkoek".
Called "spekkoek" since it somewhat represents a "bacon" like look.
Spek = bacon
Kueh Lapis is made from Coconut milk, rice flour, and tapioca flour.

Here is the recipe for Indonesian Kueh Lapis.

Kue Lapis
Introduction
Slice thinly. If possible do not store in the refrigerator too long as this
will
dry out the kue lapis
Ingredients
500 g Glutenous Rice flour
500 g tapioca flour
500 ml Coconut milk (cook the coconut milk with the pandan leaf about 15
minutes)
(then remove the Pandan Leaf)
2 liters water
Salt
700 g white sugar
Pandan Pasta (Screw Pine Leaf Pasta)
Pandan Leaf
Red food coloring
Green food coloring

Directions
1. Mix the flours, sugar, santan and water
2. Divide into three equal parts
3. In one part add 1 ts pandan pasta
4. One part, add the red food colouring until a pink colour
One part, add the green food colouring until light green
5. Leave one part plain
6. Tear the daun pandan in small pieces, cook, make a paste and divide into
the three parts.
7. Steam one layer at a time alternately until all the mixtures are finished
8. Steam for another 10 minutes and leave to cool.

Spekkoek is made as follows:

Introduction
Slice thinly. To store, package in saran wrap, and keep refrigerated

Ingredients
750 g butter
250 g flour
400 g white sugar
16 eggs (separate whites from yellow)
4 ts cinnamon
2 ts nutmeg
2 ts ground cloves
1 ts cardamom

Directions
1. In Mixer, stir the butter until white and creamy
2. While still mixing, add the sugar and little by little the flour
3. In another container, mix the egg whites until nice and stiff
4. In another container, mix the yellow until nice and foamy
5. Fold into the mix, the stiff egg whites and the foamy yellows.
6. Split the mix into two equal parts.
7. In one part mix the remaining ingredients

8. Use a spring form, butter the sides, lay a sheet of baking paper on
bottom.
9. In oven at moderate upper heat (grill), bake one layer at a time as
follows.
10. Put a thin layer of one mix in the spring form and let bake until half
done.
11. take out of oven, and with the bottom of a glass flatten the layer.
12. now make another thin layer from the other mix, (so a light layer, then
a dark layer, etc.)
13. bake half way again, take out of oven, flatten with glass.
14, continue untill all the mixes are used.

As you see, not an easy thing to do and really tideous work, but yummy and
bloody rich to boot.

Slamat makan !!!

"Tippi" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I've had an Indonesian cake, kueh lapis, which is made by brushing a
> thin layer of batter into a pan, baking a few minutes till it's done,
> taken out and another thin layer brushed on and baked, and so on. If
> you're REALLY patient, I guess you can make a hunderd layers!

Posted to alt.food.asian

Thanks for the clarification! is the word Spekkoek in fact Dutch? I
also saw the term Lapis Legit which I guess is Indonesian. So curious
what is the origin of this cake.

Posted to alt.food.asian

Tippi wrote on 27 Feb 2006 12:56:26 -0800:

T> Thanks for the clarification! is the word Spekkoek in fact
T> Dutch? I also saw the term Lapis Legit which I guess is
T> Indonesian. So curious what is the origin of this cake.

I suspect French Mille Feuilles. The hundred layers is less of
an exaggeration than usual unlike thousand year old eggs!

James Silverton.

Posted to alt.food.asian

Yes, it is Dutch, and the other is Bahasa Indonesia

oups.com...