Tippi

Default Foo Young = Lotus

You might know of the Chinese dish Eggs Foo Young. In modern Chinese,
Foo Young means a pretty flower. But I just read that in old Chinese,
it specifically means lotus flower! (each part of the plant had a
different name, some of which are still in use e.g. for the lotus rot.)

BTW the traditional Chinese way of making Eggs F.Y. does not involve a
sauce. It is more like an omelette that is still runny in the centre.

Reel Mckoi

"Tippi" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> You might know of the Chinese dish Eggs Foo Young. In modern Chinese,
> Foo Young means a pretty flower. But I just read that in old Chinese,
> it specifically means lotus flower! (each part of the plant had a
> different name, some of which are still in use e.g. for the lotus rot.)
>
> BTW the traditional Chinese way of making Eggs F.Y. does not involve a
> sauce. It is more like an omelette that is still runny in the centre.

===================
Sounds wonderful. I have a beautiful huge lotus plant but it hasn't bloomed
in ages. Too bad the whole darn plant isn't edible.
--
McKoi-Cracklin'.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b

sanne

Hi Reel,

> Sounds wonderful. I have a beautiful huge lotus plant but it hasn't bloomed
> in ages. Too bad the whole darn plant isn't edible.

But the roots are! Peel them, slice them diagonally 1/4 - 1/3 inch
thick, fry them in neutral vegetable oil with a few dashes of roasted
sesame oil together with garlic and hot peppers and then simmer them in
1 part sugar and 2-3 parts soysauce.

Bye, Sanne.

Reel Mckoi

"sanne" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi Reel,
>
>> Sounds wonderful. I have a beautiful huge lotus plant but it hasn't
>> bloomed
>> in ages. Too bad the whole darn plant isn't edible.

> But the roots are! Peel them, slice them diagonally 1/4 - 1/3 inch
> thick, fry them in neutral vegetable oil with a few dashes of roasted
> sesame oil together with garlic and hot peppers and then simmer them in
> 1 part sugar and 2-3 parts soysauce.
>
> Bye, Sanne.

==============================
Actually that sounds delicious. But then I would rather sell the thing for
$50 to $75 which is the going rate for Lotus in my area. The kiddy pool
they're in is so packed I'd make a nice bundle of cash....... :-)
--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...

"Reel Mckoi" > wrote:
> "sanne" > wrote in message
>
> > Hi Reel,
> >
> >> Sounds wonderful. I have a beautiful huge lotus plant but it hasn't
> >> bloomed
> >> in ages. Too bad the whole darn plant isn't edible.

> > But the roots are! Peel them, slice them diagonally 1/4 - 1/3 inch
> > thick, fry them in neutral vegetable oil with a few dashes of roasted
> > sesame oil together with garlic and hot peppers and then simmer them in
> > 1 part sugar and 2-3 parts soysauce.
> >

> Actually that sounds delicious. But then I would rather sell the thing
> for $50 to $75 which is the going rate for Lotus in my area. The kiddy
> pool they're in is so packed I'd make a nice bundle of cash....... :-)

There are several in the 4' deep Koi pond in our back yard. I love the way
the flowers open at sunup and close at sundown. They are similar to the
ones in the right-hand photo at
http://www.thailandlife.com/lotus_flower.htm

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

Reel Mckoi

> wrote in message
> "Reel Mckoi" > wrote:
>> "sanne" > wrote in message
>>
>> > Hi Reel,

>> > But the roots are! Peel them, slice them diagonally 1/4 - 1/3 inch
>> > thick, fry them in neutral vegetable oil with a few dashes of roasted
>> > sesame oil together with garlic and hot peppers and then simmer them in
>> > 1 part sugar and 2-3 parts soysauce.
>> >

>> Actually that sounds delicious. But then I would rather sell the thing
>> for $50 to $75 which is the going rate for Lotus in my area. The kiddy
>> pool they're in is so packed I'd make a nice bundle of cash....... :-)

> There are several in the 4' deep Koi pond in our back yard. I love the way
> the flowers open at sunup and close at sundown. They are similar to the
> ones in the right-hand photo at
> http://www.thailandlife.com/lotus_flower.htm

===================================
This is a picture of a water lily. :-) It looks like a tropical variety.
Lotus grow with their leaves way up out of the water. Mine has reached 5'
in height.

"Reel Mckoi" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> >> Actually that sounds delicious. But then I would rather sell the
> >> thing for $50 to $75 which is the going rate for Lotus in my area.
> >> The kiddy pool they're in is so packed I'd make a nice bundle of
> >> cash....... :-)

> > There are several in the 4' deep Koi pond in our back yard. I love the
> > way the flowers open at sunup and close at sundown. They are similar to
> > the ones in the right-hand photo at
> > http://www.thailandlife.com/lotus_flower.htm

> ===================================
> This is a picture of a water lily. :-) It looks like a tropical
> variety. Lotus grow with their leaves way up out of the water. Mine has
> reached 5' in height.

Hi Reel,

Beautiful setup you've got (nice pics, too) I didn't have to remove the
goldfish, a @#$%^ Blue Heron did that one afternoon about 5 years ago. They
were about 8 or 9" long. Dirty bird! I see we have similar Heron excluders.

The pond is actually my former Jacuzzi, about 8' square. My SIL tends it
now. He's got a beautiful sal****er fish coral reef setup in his room as
well as freshwater tropical fish.

I've posted a pic of my 'flower' at alt.binaries.food with the Subject
header: "Lotus or Lilly?" Lemme know!

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:
http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Reel Mckoi

> wrote in message
> "Reel Mckoi" > wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>> > There are several in the 4' deep Koi pond in our back yard. I love the
>> > way the flowers open at sunup and close at sundown. They are similar to
>> > the ones in the right-hand photo at
>> > http://www.thailandlife.com/lotus_flower.htm

>> ===================================
>> This is a picture of a water lily. :-) It looks like a tropical
>> variety. Lotus grow with their leaves way up out of the water. Mine has
>> reached 5' in height.

> Hi Reel,
>
> Beautiful setup you've got (nice pics, too) I didn't have to remove the
> goldfish, a @#$%^ Blue Heron did that one afternoon about 5 years ago.
> They
> were about 8 or 9" long. Dirty bird! I see we have similar Heron
> excluders.

## Thanks! I tossed that page togeter in one evening. We wouldn't have
one fish left if we didn't use the nets. Herons, kingfishers, water snakes,
snapping turtles and bullfrogs would rapidly eat them all.

> The pond is actually my former Jacuzzi, about 8' square. My SIL tends it
> now. He's got a beautiful sal****er fish coral reef setup in his room as
> well as freshwater tropical fish.

## Wow,.. sounds nice! :-) I like sal****er fish but it's too much work
and too expensive for some retired people.

> I've posted a pic of my 'flower' at alt.binaries.food with the Subject
> header: "Lotus or Lilly?" Lemme know!

## I'll see if I can find it.......

--
McKoi.... frugal ponding since 1995...
My Pond Page http://tinyurl.com/cuq5b
~~~ }<((((o> ~~~ }<{{{{o> ~~~ }<(((((o>

Tippi

Reel Mckoi wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > http://www.thailandlife.com/lotus_flower.htm

> ===================================
> This is a picture of a water lily. :-) It looks like a tropical variety.
> Lotus grow with their leaves way up out of the water.

Asian languages are not very precise in labeling plants. In Chinese,
lotus is "leen", waterlily is "sui leen", meaning "the sleeping lotus",
refering to the habit of the flowers and leaves sleeping on the water,
versus the erect habit of the lotus. And I thought "hoh" means
waterlily, but then found out it refers to the lotus, and was
originally the name for their leaves specifically.

Reel Mckoi

"Tippi" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Reel Mckoi wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> > http://www.thailandlife.com/lotus_flower.htm

>> ===================================
>> This is a picture of a water lily. :-) It looks like a tropical
>> variety.
>> Lotus grow with their leaves way up out of the water.

> Asian languages are not very precise in labeling plants. In Chinese,
> lotus is "leen", waterlily is "sui leen", meaning "the sleeping lotus",
> refering to the habit of the flowers and leaves sleeping on the water,
> versus the erect habit of the lotus. And I thought "hoh" means
> waterlily, but then found out it refers to the lotus, and was
> originally the name for their leaves specifically.

====================================
I understand now. :-)

"Tippi" > wrote:
> Reel Mckoi wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > > http://www.thailandlife.com/lotus_flower.htm

> > ===================================
> > This is a picture of a water lily. :-) It looks like a tropical
> > variety. Lotus grow with their leaves way up out of the water.

> Asian languages are not very precise in labeling plants. In Chinese,
> lotus is "leen", waterlily is "sui leen", meaning "the sleeping lotus",
> refering to the habit of the flowers and leaves sleeping on the water,
> versus the erect habit of the lotus. And I thought "hoh" means
> waterlily, but then found out it refers to the lotus, and was
> originally the name for their leaves specifically.

Thanks, Tippi. My wife told me they call them 'bua', which means lotus. We
do eat all parts of them, including the roots and the seeds. The leaves get
boiled and are eaten with hot sauce (nam prik), like almost everything!