mroo philpott-smythe

Default Cockles in Char Kway Teow

I occasionally make myself a nice plate of Char Kway Teow, and am bitterly
disappointed that I have never found cockles, which add that authentic
taste. Are cockles even available in the U.S.? I've never seen or heard of
them here.

Anybody know?

sq, "Who probably flirted with hepatitisC a lot, eating all those raw
cockles"
James Silverton

"mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message

> I occasionally make myself a nice plate of Char Kway Teow, and am
> bitterly
> disappointed that I have never found cockles, which add that
> authentic
> taste. Are cockles even available in the U.S.? I've never seen or
> heard of
> them here.
>
> Anybody know?
>
> sq, "Who probably flirted with hepatitisC a lot, eating all those
> raw
> cockles"

You might want to investigate scallops ( probably the Bay Scallop
type) since cockle is a synonym for scallop as in French "coquille"
and the Santiago pilgrim badge. I have never tried but I suspect Bay
Scallops might be worth looking into.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Musashi

"mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message =
>=20
> I occasionally make myself a nice plate of Char Kway Teow, and am =

bitterly=20
> disappointed that I have never found cockles, which add that authentic =

> taste. Are cockles even available in the U.S.? I've never seen or =

heard of=20
> them here.
>=20
> Anybody know?
>=20
> sq, "Who probably flirted with hepatitisC a lot, eating all those raw=20
> cockles"

If you are talking about the small clams with lines (stripes) in the =
shells, then
they can be found sometimes in US seafood stores....sometimes.

mroo philpott-smythe

"James Silverton" > wrote in
:
> "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message

>> I occasionally make myself a nice plate of Char Kway Teow, and am
>> bitterly
>> disappointed that I have never found cockles, which add that
>> authentic
>> taste. Are cockles even available in the U.S.? I've never seen or
>> heard of
>> them here.
>> Anybody know?

> You might want to investigate scallops ( probably the Bay Scallop
> type) since cockle is a synonym for scallop as in French "coquille"
> and the Santiago pilgrim badge. I have never tried but I suspect Bay
> Scallops might be worth looking into.

I've had Bay scallops, they're available fresh at the local fish mart,
and yes, they are delicious.

However, the cockles I'm referring to might not even be "real" cockles -
we used to call the Batu Hum. They look more like clams, but they're a
dark reddish brown and incredibly sweet and spicy raw. Never seen or
tasted anything like it here.

But thanks for the response.

sq
mroo philpott-smythe

"Musashi" > wrote in
m:

> "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message

>> I occasionally make myself a nice plate of Char Kway Teow, and am

> bitterly
>> disappointed that I have never found cockles, which add that
>> authentic
>> taste. Are cockles even available in the U.S.? I've never seen or
>> heard of them here.

>> Anybody know?

> If you are talking about the small clams with lines (stripes) in the
> shells, then they can be found sometimes in US seafood
> stores....sometimes.

Yes, those things. Are they called cockles, or clams? Should I look in
the Chinese/Asian fishmongers?

Thanks for any help.

sq

Musashi

"mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message =
> "Musashi" > wrote in
> m:=20
>=20
> >=20
> > "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
> > ...= 20

>=20
> >> I occasionally make myself a nice plate of Char Kway Teow, and am=20

> > bitterly=20
> >> disappointed that I have never found cockles, which add that
> >> authentic=20
> >> taste. Are cockles even available in the U.S.? I've never seen or=20
> >> heard of them here.

>=20
> >> Anybody know?

>=20
> > If you are talking about the small clams with lines (stripes) in the
> > shells, then they can be found sometimes in US seafood
> > stores....sometimes.=20

>=20
> Yes, those things. Are they called cockles, or clams? Should I look in =

> the Chinese/Asian fishmongers?
>=20
> Thanks for any help.
>=20

I have found them in some Korean run stores labelled "cockles".
They wouldn't be labelled "clams" in most US stores and would cause =
confusion
with the quahog (little necks & cherrystones), the steamers, sometimes =
mahogany
clams.
I can confirm I have never seen them in any Japanese food store.
Also you will find Asari (manilla clams) and Shijimi (dont know the =
english name)
Maybe a large Chinese store "might" have them.

mroo philpott-smythe

"Musashi" > wrote in
:
> "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
>> "Musashi" > wrote in
>> m:

>> > bitterly

>> > If you are talking about the small clams with lines (stripes) in
>> > the shells, then they can be found sometimes in US seafood
>> > stores....sometimes.

>> Yes, those things. Are they called cockles, or clams? Should I look
>> in the Chinese/Asian fishmongers?

>> Thanks for any help.

> I have found them in some Korean run stores labelled "cockles".
> They wouldn't be labelled "clams" in most US stores and would cause
> confusion with the quahog (little necks & cherrystones), the steamers,
> sometimes mahogany clams.
> I can confirm I have never seen them in any Japanese food store.
> Also you will find Asari (manilla clams) and Shijimi (dont know the
> english name) Maybe a large Chinese store "might" have them.

I'll try the Korean grocers, then.

Thanks.

sq
mroo philpott-smythe

"Musashi" > wrote in
:
> "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
>> "Musashi" > wrote in
>> m:

>> > bitterly

>> > If you are talking about the small clams with lines (stripes) in
>> > the shells, then they can be found sometimes in US seafood
>> > stores....sometimes.

>> Yes, those things. Are they called cockles, or clams? Should I look
>> in the Chinese/Asian fishmongers?

>> Thanks for any help.

> I have found them in some Korean run stores labelled "cockles".
> They wouldn't be labelled "clams" in most US stores and would cause
> confusion with the quahog (little necks & cherrystones), the steamers,
> sometimes mahogany clams.
> I can confirm I have never seen them in any Japanese food store.
> Also you will find Asari (manilla clams) and Shijimi (dont know the
> english name) Maybe a large Chinese store "might" have them.

I'll try the Korean grocers, then.

Thanks.

sq
Wazza

"James Silverton" > wrote in message

> "mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message
> >
> > I occasionally make myself a nice plate of Char Kway Teow, and am
> > bitterly
> > disappointed that I have never found cockles, which add that
> > authentic
> > taste. Are cockles even available in the U.S.? I've never seen or
> > heard of
> > them here.
> >
> > Anybody know?
> >
> > sq, "Who probably flirted with hepatitisC a lot, eating all those
> > raw
> > cockles"

> You might want to investigate scallops ( probably the Bay Scallop
> type) since cockle is a synonym for scallop as in French "coquille"
> and the Santiago pilgrim badge. I have never tried but I suspect Bay
> Scallops might be worth looking into.

The cockle known in the UK is nothing like a scallop. The cockle is a small
bivalve, maybe an inch across. Nearly always sold pickled. Because they live
in sand/estuary sediment, they are usually quite gritty. They are an
acquired taste, but once acquired, can be extremely rewarding. Usually sold
(pickled) in supermarkets in the UK. The best are from Morecombe Bay, fed by
the melting snows of the mountains of the English Lake District.
cheers
Wazza

DC.

Try substituting them with oysters... not quite them same but you might be
tempted to change the fry up from CKT to OrLuak(sp?) Oyster Omelette : )

Anyway... whatever you sub it with, it needs to be fresh... don't even think
about frozen!

DC.

"mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message

> I occasionally make myself a nice plate of Char Kway Teow, and am bitterly
> disappointed that I have never found cockles, which add that authentic
> taste. Are cockles even available in the U.S.? I've never seen or heard of
> them here.
>
> Anybody know?
>
> sq, "Who probably flirted with hepatitisC a lot, eating all those raw
> cockles"

James Silverton

"Wazza" > wrote in message

>> The cockle known in the UK is nothing like a scallop. The cockle is
>> a small

> bivalve, maybe an inch across. Nearly always sold pickled. Because
> they live
> in sand/estuary sediment, they are usually quite gritty. They are an
> acquired taste, but once acquired, can be extremely rewarding.
> Usually sold
> (pickled) in supermarkets in the UK. The best are from Morecombe
> Bay, fed by

The UK is not the only place you will find cockles. The term is used
in Australia, New Zealand, Quebec and the Pacific Coast to my
knowledge. There is more than one type of scallop and if you search I
think you will find that the terms are used interchangeably. Possibly
this should not be the case, but there it is (g). I think what I would
call scallops are used in French Coquilles St. Jacques.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

mroo philpott-smythe

"Wazza" > wrote in
:

[CockleSnip]

> The cockle known in the UK is nothing like a scallop. The cockle is a
> small bivalve, maybe an inch across. Nearly always sold pickled.
> Because they live in sand/estuary sediment, they are usually quite
> gritty. They are an acquired taste, but once acquired, can be
> extremely rewarding. Usually sold (pickled) in supermarkets in the UK.
> The best are from Morecombe Bay, fed by the melting snows of the
> mountains of the English Lake District. cheers

Those is them! Yes, we used to go picnicking by the beach and take little
buckets and trowels with us and dig up cockles from the sand. You could
find them by looking for their tiny breathing holes in the sand.
Delicious!

Now I remember - some PRC folks died in the UK picking cockles, didn't
they? So sad. So the UK must have cockles.

I've never eaten them pickled, always fresh raw or lightly cooked as in
Char Kway Teow. What do pickled cockles taste like? Have you ever eaten
them raw? If so, what's the difference?

Some things taste fine processed, and some don't, I think.

sq
mroo philpott-smythe

"Wazza" > wrote in
:

[CockleSnip]

> The cockle known in the UK is nothing like a scallop. The cockle is a
> small bivalve, maybe an inch across. Nearly always sold pickled.
> Because they live in sand/estuary sediment, they are usually quite
> gritty. They are an acquired taste, but once acquired, can be
> extremely rewarding. Usually sold (pickled) in supermarkets in the UK.
> The best are from Morecombe Bay, fed by the melting snows of the
> mountains of the English Lake District. cheers

Those is them! Yes, we used to go picnicking by the beach and take little
buckets and trowels with us and dig up cockles from the sand. You could
find them by looking for their tiny breathing holes in the sand.
Delicious!

Now I remember - some PRC folks died in the UK picking cockles, didn't
they? So sad. So the UK must have cockles.

I've never eaten them pickled, always fresh raw or lightly cooked as in
Char Kway Teow. What do pickled cockles taste like? Have you ever eaten
them raw? If so, what's the difference?

Some things taste fine processed, and some don't, I think.

sq
Dan Logcher

mroo philpott-smythe wrote:

> Those is them! Yes, we used to go picnicking by the beach and take little
> buckets and trowels with us and dig up cockles from the sand. You could
> find them by looking for their tiny breathing holes in the sand.
> Delicious!

I used to go clam digging in Maine as a kid. We would stamp our feet on the
sand and look for the water quirking out of the breathing holes as the foot
of the clam retracted. We used to dig up bucket loads for steaming and chowdah!

--
Dan

Dan Logcher

mroo philpott-smythe wrote:

> Those is them! Yes, we used to go picnicking by the beach and take little
> buckets and trowels with us and dig up cockles from the sand. You could
> find them by looking for their tiny breathing holes in the sand.
> Delicious!

I used to go clam digging in Maine as a kid. We would stamp our feet on the
sand and look for the water quirking out of the breathing holes as the foot
of the clam retracted. We used to dig up bucket loads for steaming and chowdah!

--
Dan

mroo philpott-smythe

"DC." <not@home> wrote in
:

> Try substituting them with oysters... not quite them same but you
> might be tempted to change the fry up from CKT to OrLuak(sp?) Oyster
> Omelette : )

Oh my goodness, you just *had* to be so cruel as to remind me of OhLuak,
huh? %^)

I love OhLuak! The food stalls in Cuppage Road - or was it Orchard Road?
- used to sell it with this hot, slightly sour chilli sauce. I bet one
could never use the oysters in the US to make an OhLuak.

My dad used to say the oysters must be grown in effluent for that special
taste. %^) Very mean of him, but I think he was just trying to keep us
from getting hepatitis. Or maybe he was trying to make sure there was
more for him!

> Anyway... whatever you sub it with, it needs to be fresh... don't even
> think about frozen!

Not me! Freezing completely changes the texture and taste of delicate
things like fish and shellfish to the point where it's just not worth it.
Better to save up money and fly to the country to taste it fresh!

Frankly, I prefer to eat my Batu Hum raw, but the risk of hepatitis is so
great these days, I actually turned down a plate the last time I was in
Singapore.

Shocking, I know. But I quickly rewarded myself by ordering a big plate
of CKT with the Hum.

sq
DC.

<snip>
> Oh my goodness, you just *had* to be so cruel as to remind me of OhLuak,
> huh? %^)

It had to be done...

> I love OhLuak! The food stalls in Cuppage Road - or was it Orchard Road?
> - used to sell it with this hot, slightly sour chilli sauce. I bet one
> could never use the oysters in the US to make an OhLuak.

old cold storage car park? but you can find them in almost every hawker
centre from Singapore to KL.

> My dad used to say the oysters must be grown in effluent for that special
> taste. %^) Very mean of him, but I think he was just trying to keep us
> from getting hepatitis. Or maybe he was trying to make sure there was
> more for him!

I've heard of that one too as well as dried & pounded earthworms in laksa
lemak, heeheeee.... it's only dried shrimps though.

<snip>
> Frankly, I prefer to eat my Batu Hum raw, but the risk of hepatitis is so
> great these days, I actually turned down a plate the last time I was in
> Singapore.
> Shocking, I know. But I quickly rewarded myself by ordering a big plate
> of CKT with the Hum.

Hwahahahaaaa... i need to remind myself of these things, now what's the word
or phrase again, KiaSu? or was it KiaSi? LOL.

DC. (off to have my bowl of homemade BakKutTeh now ; )

DC.

<snip>
> Oh my goodness, you just *had* to be so cruel as to remind me of OhLuak,
> huh? %^)

It had to be done...

> I love OhLuak! The food stalls in Cuppage Road - or was it Orchard Road?
> - used to sell it with this hot, slightly sour chilli sauce. I bet one
> could never use the oysters in the US to make an OhLuak.

old cold storage car park? but you can find them in almost every hawker
centre from Singapore to KL.

> My dad used to say the oysters must be grown in effluent for that special
> taste. %^) Very mean of him, but I think he was just trying to keep us
> from getting hepatitis. Or maybe he was trying to make sure there was
> more for him!

I've heard of that one too as well as dried & pounded earthworms in laksa
lemak, heeheeee.... it's only dried shrimps though.

<snip>
> Frankly, I prefer to eat my Batu Hum raw, but the risk of hepatitis is so
> great these days, I actually turned down a plate the last time I was in
> Singapore.
> Shocking, I know. But I quickly rewarded myself by ordering a big plate
> of CKT with the Hum.

Hwahahahaaaa... i need to remind myself of these things, now what's the word
or phrase again, KiaSu? or was it KiaSi? LOL.

DC. (off to have my bowl of homemade BakKutTeh now ; )

DC.

<snip>
> Now I remember - some PRC folks died in the UK picking cockles, didn't
> they? So sad. So the UK must have cockles.

21 mainlanders, mostly from Fujian(Hokkiens) who didn't speak a word of
English so i was told.

> I've never eaten them pickled, always fresh raw or lightly cooked as in
> Char Kway Teow. What do pickled cockles taste like? Have you ever eaten
> them raw? If so, what's the difference?

pickled.. slightly vinegary or also boiled, both OK for people here in the
UK & those just getting use to eating shellfish(for an island nation.. very
strange) but for you sq, i'm afraid you'll hate them, once you're hooked,
lined & sankut on the raw ones, you're doomed to spend eternity dreaming &
drooling on your childhood memories picking & eating them in CKT : )

DC.

DC.

<snip>
> Now I remember - some PRC folks died in the UK picking cockles, didn't
> they? So sad. So the UK must have cockles.

21 mainlanders, mostly from Fujian(Hokkiens) who didn't speak a word of
English so i was told.

> I've never eaten them pickled, always fresh raw or lightly cooked as in
> Char Kway Teow. What do pickled cockles taste like? Have you ever eaten
> them raw? If so, what's the difference?

pickled.. slightly vinegary or also boiled, both OK for people here in the
UK & those just getting use to eating shellfish(for an island nation.. very
strange) but for you sq, i'm afraid you'll hate them, once you're hooked,
lined & sankut on the raw ones, you're doomed to spend eternity dreaming &
drooling on your childhood memories picking & eating them in CKT : )

DC.

mroo philpott-smythe

Dan Logcher > wrote in
:

> mroo philpott-smythe wrote:

>> Those is them! Yes, we used to go picnicking by the beach and take
>> little buckets and trowels with us and dig up cockles from the sand.
>> You could find them by looking for their tiny breathing holes in the
>> sand. Delicious!

> I used to go clam digging in Maine as a kid. We would stamp our feet
> on the sand and look for the water quirking out of the breathing holes
> as the foot of the clam retracted. We used to dig up bucket loads for
> steaming and chowdah!

Never ate them raw, huh?

Or is raw seafood (excepting oysters, of course) an Asian thing?

Barbara Tropp has a recipe for sand-pot clams and mussels with black bean
sauce that is just deelish.

I have to confess that I don't like her book of "Homestyle" recipes,
since nobody can do all that prep at home unless they're professional
cooks or have galley slaves! But I just love that recipe.

sq
mroo philpott-smythe

Dan Logcher > wrote in
:

> mroo philpott-smythe wrote:

>> Those is them! Yes, we used to go picnicking by the beach and take
>> little buckets and trowels with us and dig up cockles from the sand.
>> You could find them by looking for their tiny breathing holes in the
>> sand. Delicious!

> I used to go clam digging in Maine as a kid. We would stamp our feet
> on the sand and look for the water quirking out of the breathing holes
> as the foot of the clam retracted. We used to dig up bucket loads for
> steaming and chowdah!

Never ate them raw, huh?

Or is raw seafood (excepting oysters, of course) an Asian thing?

Barbara Tropp has a recipe for sand-pot clams and mussels with black bean
sauce that is just deelish.

I have to confess that I don't like her book of "Homestyle" recipes,
since nobody can do all that prep at home unless they're professional
cooks or have galley slaves! But I just love that recipe.

sq
Dan Logcher

mroo philpott-smythe wrote:

> Dan Logcher > wrote in
> :
>

>>mroo philpott-smythe wrote:
>>

>>>Those is them! Yes, we used to go picnicking by the beach and take
>>>little buckets and trowels with us and dig up cockles from the sand.
>>>You could find them by looking for their tiny breathing holes in the
>>>sand. Delicious!
>>>

>>I used to go clam digging in Maine as a kid. We would stamp our feet
>>on the sand and look for the water quirking out of the breathing holes
>>as the foot of the clam retracted. We used to dig up bucket loads for
>>steaming and chowdah!
>>

> Never ate them raw, huh?
>
> Or is raw seafood (excepting oysters, of course) an Asian thing?

Hell no.. but I was a kid then and didn't know about it. I love raw
oysters. Can't get enough sushi either.

--
Dan

mroo philpott-smythe

"DC." <not@home> wrote in
:

> <snip>

>> Now I remember - some PRC folks died in the UK picking cockles,
>> didn't they? So sad. So the UK must have cockles.

> 21 mainlanders, mostly from Fujian(Hokkiens) who didn't speak a word
> of English so i was told.

Extra-sad. As we say at home, they must have been the real "thng sua
nng" poor guys, didn't know their way around in a strange land.

>> I've never eaten them pickled, always fresh raw or lightly cooked as
>> in Char Kway Teow. What do pickled cockles taste like? Have you ever
>> eaten them raw? If so, what's the difference?

> pickled.. slightly vinegary or also boiled, both OK for people here in
> the UK & those just getting use to eating shellfish(for an island
> nation.. very strange) but for you sq, i'm afraid you'll hate them,
> once you're hooked, lined & sankut on the raw ones, you're doomed to
> spend eternity dreaming & drooling on your childhood memories picking
> & eating them in CKT : )

Chey, waste of good shellfish to make it vinegary and boiled tasting!

Like that, is it? %^D

Too bad, gotta save my money and go to Malacca for some homemade blachan
and then take the train up to Penang for the famous assam laksa!

sq, "Planning the next trip"

mroo philpott-smythe

"DC." <not@home> wrote in
:

> <snip>

>> Now I remember - some PRC folks died in the UK picking cockles,
>> didn't they? So sad. So the UK must have cockles.

> 21 mainlanders, mostly from Fujian(Hokkiens) who didn't speak a word
> of English so i was told.

Extra-sad. As we say at home, they must have been the real "thng sua
nng" poor guys, didn't know their way around in a strange land.

>> I've never eaten them pickled, always fresh raw or lightly cooked as
>> in Char Kway Teow. What do pickled cockles taste like? Have you ever
>> eaten them raw? If so, what's the difference?

> pickled.. slightly vinegary or also boiled, both OK for people here in
> the UK & those just getting use to eating shellfish(for an island
> nation.. very strange) but for you sq, i'm afraid you'll hate them,
> once you're hooked, lined & sankut on the raw ones, you're doomed to
> spend eternity dreaming & drooling on your childhood memories picking
> & eating them in CKT : )

Chey, waste of good shellfish to make it vinegary and boiled tasting!

Like that, is it? %^D

Too bad, gotta save my money and go to Malacca for some homemade blachan
and then take the train up to Penang for the famous assam laksa!

sq, "Planning the next trip"

mroo philpott-smythe

"DC." <not@home> wrote in
:

> <snip>

>> Oh my goodness, you just *had* to be so cruel as to remind me of
>> OhLuak, huh? %^)

> It had to be done...

Wait, catch only hantam one time.

>> I love OhLuak! The food stalls in Cuppage Road - or was it Orchard
>> Road? - used to sell it with this hot, slightly sour chilli sauce. I
>> bet one could never use the oysters in the US to make an OhLuak.

> old cold storage car park? but you can find them in almost every
> hawker centre from Singapore to KL.

But that cold storage car park guy's OhLuak was perfect! Always crispy
yet tender, never overcooked, oversalted, or overgarnished. Some of the
ones I had in KL were soggy and too greasy, but if you know of a good
stall tell me and I'll even consider a diversion to KL to taste.

>> My dad used to say the oysters must be grown in effluent for that
>> special taste. %^) Very mean of him, but I think he was just trying
>> to keep us from getting hepatitis. Or maybe he was trying to make
>> sure there was more for him!

> I've heard of that one too as well as dried & pounded earthworms in
> laksa lemak, heeheeee.... it's only dried shrimps though.

Oh, that lemak laksa. How I used to eat it by the bowl!

> <snip>

>> Frankly, I prefer to eat my Batu Hum raw, but the risk of hepatitis
>> is so great these days, I actually turned down a plate the last time
>> I was in Singapore.
>> Shocking, I know. But I quickly rewarded myself by ordering a big
>> plate of CKT with the Hum.

> Hwahahahaaaa... i need to remind myself of these things, now what's
> the word or phrase again, KiaSu? or was it KiaSi? LOL.

Kiasu until want to si. %^)

Or maybe you're thinking Yeow Kwee. %^D

> DC. (off to have my bowl of homemade BakKutTeh now ; )

Made from scratch???

I brought home how many dozen packages of BakKutTeh mix but haven't used
them yet, because even though my partner will walk a mile to eat a
specially stinky durian, he doesn't care for that medicinal smell of bak
kut teh. It's from the dong quai, right? I like the smell, but I have to
make it just for me, and it's hard to finish so many packages.

Last time I went to SouthEast Asia, I took along two suitcases, one small
one with my clothes and stuff packed inside a big, empty one. When I came
back the big one was filled from top to bottom with jars of sambal, fish
floss, shrimp floss, coconut cream, kueh-mueh, dodol, sotong, blachan,
spice packets, even curry leaves. My girlfriend called my partner and
asked him to bring a few thousand in cash to the airport in case I got
arrested and he had to bail me out. %^D

The customs guy was a nice Vietnamese, who looked at all the food, raised
one eyebrow at me, and waved me on without a word.

sq, "Bless his soul"
mroo philpott-smythe

"DC." <not@home> wrote in
:

> <snip>

>> Oh my goodness, you just *had* to be so cruel as to remind me of
>> OhLuak, huh? %^)

> It had to be done...

Wait, catch only hantam one time.

>> I love OhLuak! The food stalls in Cuppage Road - or was it Orchard
>> Road? - used to sell it with this hot, slightly sour chilli sauce. I
>> bet one could never use the oysters in the US to make an OhLuak.

> old cold storage car park? but you can find them in almost every
> hawker centre from Singapore to KL.

But that cold storage car park guy's OhLuak was perfect! Always crispy
yet tender, never overcooked, oversalted, or overgarnished. Some of the
ones I had in KL were soggy and too greasy, but if you know of a good
stall tell me and I'll even consider a diversion to KL to taste.

>> My dad used to say the oysters must be grown in effluent for that
>> special taste. %^) Very mean of him, but I think he was just trying
>> to keep us from getting hepatitis. Or maybe he was trying to make
>> sure there was more for him!

> I've heard of that one too as well as dried & pounded earthworms in
> laksa lemak, heeheeee.... it's only dried shrimps though.

Oh, that lemak laksa. How I used to eat it by the bowl!

> <snip>

>> Frankly, I prefer to eat my Batu Hum raw, but the risk of hepatitis
>> is so great these days, I actually turned down a plate the last time
>> I was in Singapore.
>> Shocking, I know. But I quickly rewarded myself by ordering a big
>> plate of CKT with the Hum.

> Hwahahahaaaa... i need to remind myself of these things, now what's
> the word or phrase again, KiaSu? or was it KiaSi? LOL.

Kiasu until want to si. %^)

Or maybe you're thinking Yeow Kwee. %^D

> DC. (off to have my bowl of homemade BakKutTeh now ; )

Made from scratch???

I brought home how many dozen packages of BakKutTeh mix but haven't used
them yet, because even though my partner will walk a mile to eat a
specially stinky durian, he doesn't care for that medicinal smell of bak
kut teh. It's from the dong quai, right? I like the smell, but I have to
make it just for me, and it's hard to finish so many packages.

Last time I went to SouthEast Asia, I took along two suitcases, one small
one with my clothes and stuff packed inside a big, empty one. When I came
back the big one was filled from top to bottom with jars of sambal, fish
floss, shrimp floss, coconut cream, kueh-mueh, dodol, sotong, blachan,
spice packets, even curry leaves. My girlfriend called my partner and
asked him to bring a few thousand in cash to the airport in case I got
arrested and he had to bail me out. %^D

The customs guy was a nice Vietnamese, who looked at all the food, raised
one eyebrow at me, and waved me on without a word.

sq, "Bless his soul"
mroo philpott-smythe

Dan Logcher > wrote in news:41BF65C1.1090804
@comcast.net:
> mroo philpott-smythe wrote:
>> Dan Logcher > wrote in
>> :

>>>I used to go clam digging in Maine as a kid. We would stamp our feet
>>>on the sand and look for the water quirking out of the breathing holes
>>>as the foot of the clam retracted. We used to dig up bucket loads for
>>>steaming and chowdah!

>> Never ate them raw, huh?

>> Or is raw seafood (excepting oysters, of course) an Asian thing?

> Hell no.. but I was a kid then and didn't know about it. I love raw
> oysters. Can't get enough sushi either.

Me either. Although, having that highly developed Southeast Asian taste
for hot food, I mix the entire lump of wasabi with a few drops of soy
sauce and get funny looks from all the waitstaff.

I knew I had crossed some kind of line when the Mexican busboy looked at
my wasabi mixture, said "Whoo!" and walked off laughing to himself!

sq "And imagine my delight in finding that the best sushi place in town
also serves amazing selection of raw oysters!"
mroo philpott-smythe

Dan Logcher > wrote in news:41BF65C1.1090804
@comcast.net:
> mroo philpott-smythe wrote:
>> Dan Logcher > wrote in
>> :

>>>I used to go clam digging in Maine as a kid. We would stamp our feet
>>>on the sand and look for the water quirking out of the breathing holes
>>>as the foot of the clam retracted. We used to dig up bucket loads for
>>>steaming and chowdah!

>> Never ate them raw, huh?

>> Or is raw seafood (excepting oysters, of course) an Asian thing?

> Hell no.. but I was a kid then and didn't know about it. I love raw
> oysters. Can't get enough sushi either.

Me either. Although, having that highly developed Southeast Asian taste
for hot food, I mix the entire lump of wasabi with a few drops of soy
sauce and get funny looks from all the waitstaff.

I knew I had crossed some kind of line when the Mexican busboy looked at
my wasabi mixture, said "Whoo!" and walked off laughing to himself!

sq "And imagine my delight in finding that the best sushi place in town
also serves amazing selection of raw oysters!"
DC.

<snip>
> Extra-sad. As we say at home, they must have been the real "thng sua
> nng" poor guys, didn't know their way around in a strange land.

Organised by English gangmasters & told to do manual labour that most if not
all English people would avoid, that's the price you pay for being an
illegal immigrant i guess.

> Chey, waste of good shellfish to make it vinegary and boiled tasting!
>
> Like that, is it? %^D

Yes, that's about right.

> Too bad, gotta save my money and go to Malacca for some homemade blachan
> and then take the train up to Penang for the famous assam laksa!

don't really like Penang laksa that much, too sourish & boiled fish? so
funny one! got fresh prawns & fishbawls don want? must eat boiled fish??!!
you decide.

DC.

DC.

<snip>
> Wait, catch only hantam one time.

Hmmm... it'll be difficult to catch me but if you do, you can 'hantam me 2
times, give you chance lah... don say i one kind.' LOL.

> But that cold storage car park guy's OhLuak was perfect! Always crispy
> yet tender, never overcooked, oversalted, or overgarnished. Some of the
> ones I had in KL were soggy and too greasy, but if you know of a good
> stall tell me and I'll even consider a diversion to KL to taste.

The ones i tried in Singapore were in a hawker centre... i forgot which one
but i'm sure you can ask or find out from makansutra. In KL we came across a
few stalls but didn't try them as we 'olady makan' in Sin. You can ask or
Ping : Nathan Lau who occasionally pops in here, if not he'll be in
alt.bin.food, he'll know or should know where in KL to eat OhLuak. Or what
about asking in egullet.org

> Oh, that lemak laksa. How I used to eat it by the bowl!

'AiYaaaa.... kaki make lah, not that difficult.' I make at least once or
every 2 months. 'No scat go hungry in my house, only scat cholesterol.'

> Kiasu until want to si. %^)
>
> Or maybe you're thinking Yeow Kwee. %^D

'Heehee... two two oso same!'

> Made from scratch???

Of course... but you can use ready made spice sachets as well but must 'kaki
change' a few things to make it how i like it. There are after all, many
variations of BKT out there. I like mine less medicinal & more of a broth
like Cantonese pork bone soups etc. For medicinal... i make Cantonese herbal
soups like ChingPohLeong.

> I brought home how many dozen packages of BakKutTeh mix but haven't used
> them yet, because even though my partner will walk a mile to eat a
> specially stinky durian, he doesn't care for that medicinal smell of bak
> kut teh. It's from the dong quai, right? I like the smell, but I have to
> make it just for me, and it's hard to finish so many packages.

Make a pot every month with pork ribs & drink over 3 days with plain &
simple rice meals, that's what i do to counter all the rich foods i eat at
other times.

> Last time I went to SouthEast Asia, I took along two suitcases, one small
> one with my clothes and stuff packed inside a big, empty one. When I came
> back the big one was filled from top to bottom with jars of sambal, fish
> floss, shrimp floss, coconut cream, kueh-mueh, dodol, sotong, blachan,
> spice packets, even curry leaves. My girlfriend called my partner and
> asked him to bring a few thousand in cash to the airport in case I got
> arrested and he had to bail me out. %^D

'AiYeeooohhhh.... tsk, tsk, tsk.... your boyflen see bay charm man, kena
sooooo yao kwee AhLian for grrrrflen.' LMAO.

> The customs guy was a nice Vietnamese, who looked at all the food, raised
> one eyebrow at me, and waved me on without a word.

Vietnamese customs officer : Wah Lao, Yau Kwee Tng Lai Liao!

DC. (goodnight from London)

Chris Foo

yes kway teow is not authentic until it has fried lard and cockles (see hum)
in it.

"mroo philpott-smythe" > wrote in message

> I occasionally make myself a nice plate of Char Kway Teow, and am bitterly
> disappointed that I have never found cockles, which add that authentic
> taste. Are cockles even available in the U.S.? I've never seen or heard of
> them here.
>
> Anybody know?
>
> sq, "Who probably flirted with hepatitisC a lot, eating all those raw
> cockles"

mroo philpott-smythe

"DC." <not@home> wrote in :

> <snip>
>> Extra-sad. As we say at home, they must have been the real "thng sua
>> nng" poor guys, didn't know their way around in a strange land.

> Organised by English gangmasters & told to do manual labour that most
> if not all English people would avoid, that's the price you pay for
> being an illegal immigrant i guess.

So poor thing one.

>> Chey, waste of good shellfish to make it vinegary and boiled tasting!

>> Like that, is it? %^D

> Yes, that's about right.

>> Too bad, gotta save my money and go to Malacca for some homemade
>> blachan and then take the train up to Penang for the famous assam
>> laksa!

> don't really like Penang laksa that much, too sourish & boiled fish?
> so funny one! got fresh prawns & fishbawls don want? must eat boiled
> fish??!! you decide.

I prefer the lemak variety myself, but my mother's from Pulao Pinang, so
we always ended up eating the assam laksa. %^)

But if going to Penang, must at least try the assam variety, who knows,
maybe I'll find a really good version!

You know how people are back home, see food only want to eat.

sq
mroo philpott-smythe

"DC." <not@home> wrote in :

> <snip>
>> Wait, catch only hantam one time.

> Hmmm... it'll be difficult to catch me but if you do, you can 'hantam
> me 2 times, give you chance lah... don say i one kind.' LOL.

Wah, so good-hearted one, give chance only. OK, I don say you until like
that awreddy. %^)

>> But that cold storage car park guy's OhLuak was perfect! Always
>> crispy yet tender, never overcooked, oversalted, or overgarnished.
>> Some of the ones I had in KL were soggy and too greasy, but if you
>> know of a good stall tell me and I'll even consider a diversion to KL
>> to taste.

> The ones i tried in Singapore were in a hawker centre... i forgot
> which one but i'm sure you can ask or find out from makansutra.

Singapore no shortage of hawker center, lor. Surely going to check
makansutra. <laughing at the name>

> In KL
> we came across a few stalls but didn't try them as we 'olady makan' in
> Sin.

Years ago, trolling the hawker stalls in KL, people so nice, everybody
saying "Join me? Join me?" and me, rubbing stomach, "Sudah makan olady".

> You can ask or Ping : Nathan Lau who occasionally pops in here,
> if not he'll be in alt.bin.food, he'll know or should know where in KL
> to eat OhLuak. Or what about asking in egullet.org

Hau ji, le. I'll try.

>> Oh, that lemak laksa. How I used to eat it by the bowl!

> 'AiYaaaa.... kaki make lah, not that difficult.' I make at least once
> or every 2 months. 'No scat go hungry in my house, only scat
> cholesterol.'

Yeah, my partner always opens the fridge after one marathon cooking
session, looks at me and says, "I guess we're not going to starve this
week, huh?" Poor thing.

>> Made from scratch???

> Of course... but you can use ready made spice sachets as well but must
> 'kaki change' a few things to make it how i like it. There are after
> all, many variations of BKT out there. I like mine less medicinal &
> more of a broth like Cantonese pork bone soups etc. For medicinal... i
> make Cantonese herbal soups like ChingPohLeong.

I think Mrs. Lee's cookbook got dat recipe. I go see. If not, can ask you
recipe or not?

[snip BKT]

> Make a pot every month with pork ribs & drink over 3 days with plain &
> simple rice meals, that's what i do to counter all the rich foods i
> eat at other times.

Got to get rid of all that cholesterol, ha?

>> Last time I went to SouthEast Asia, I took along two suitcases, one
>> small one with my clothes and stuff packed inside a big, empty one.
>> When I came back the big one was filled from top to bottom with jars
>> of sambal, fish floss, shrimp floss, coconut cream, kueh-mueh, dodol,
>> sotong, blachan, spice packets, even curry leaves. My girlfriend
>> called my partner and asked him to bring a few thousand in cash to
>> the airport in case I got arrested and he had to bail me out. %^D

> 'AiYeeooohhhh.... tsk, tsk, tsk.... your boyflen see bay charm man,
> kena sooooo yao kwee AhLian for grrrrflen.' LMAO.

LOL!

> DC. (goodnight from London)

Good night, DC, this has been so fun! And I don't mean like Chow Fun fun
or Hor Fun fun, either!

sq, "See one kaki, want to die olady"
mroo philpott-smythe

"DC." <not@home> wrote in :

> [...]

> eat at other times.

Got to get rid of all that cholesterol, ha?

>> Last time I went to SouthEast Asia, I took along two suitcases, one
>> small one with my clothes and stuff packed inside a big, empty one.
>> When I came back the big one was filled from top to bottom with jars
>> of sambal, fish floss, shrimp floss, coconut cream, kueh-mueh, dodol,
>> sotong, blachan, spice packets, even curry leaves. My girlfriend
>> called my partner and asked him to bring a few thousand in cash to
>> the airport in case I got arrested and he had to bail me out. %^D

> 'AiYeeooohhhh.... tsk, tsk, tsk.... your boyflen see bay charm man,
> kena sooooo yao kwee AhLian for grrrrflen.' LMAO.

LOL!

> DC. (goodnight from London)

Good night, DC, this has been so fun! And I don't mean like Chow Fun fun

mroo philpott-smythe

"Chris Foo" > wrote in
:

> yes kway teow is not authentic until it has fried lard and cockles
> (see hum) in it.

I always put the lard in - unfortunately the partner is a cancer
researcher, and went to some lecture last week, and now is complaining
about the lard, the ikan bilis, and the dried shrimp.

What to do? Next time cook, better don't tell what I put in, lah!

Bought some nice lap cheong at the Thai store, can try to make char kway
teow - maybe not fully authentic, but missing the taste, so can try only.

sq
DC.

<snip>
> But if going to Penang, must at least try the assam variety, who knows,
> maybe I'll find a really good version!

True... but forget Gurney drive, it's over priced & we had the best food in
smaller local places. While in Georgetown, try the sunday morning dimsums
served in the kopi tiams in the Chinatown area. Good old fashion style
handmade dumplings & buns, none of that factory made uniformed buns, these
ones are all hand made & some are out of shaped or have extra special
fillings. The atmosphere is good as well, like back in the 60's... just make
sure to wear decent shoes & bring lots of tissues or wipes. Oh... the smell
of the drains is like the 60's as well ! Don't forget to try some Penang
Nonya food, we went to a place called Mama's, in a converted residential
house... i think Mama still lives upstairs & again, it feels like you're
having dinner in someone's house.

DC.

ps. the E&O is still there, refurbished & smart attire only, a bit like
Raffles but we stayed in CheongFattTze mansion, a stone's throw away... it
was a good experience but if you are superstitious & afraid of 'kwee' or
ghosts, maybe just a 1 hour tour will do you. We didn't encounter any 'kwee'
except the Angmor ones... & we found the place totally fascinating & felt
like royalty living in a place like that.

DC.

<snip>
> BKT:
> I think Mrs. Lee's cookbook got dat recipe. I go see. If not, can ask you
> recipe or not?

Mine is from Mrs Leong's cookbook, then i change a liitle here, a little
there to suit my own taste. This is how cooking should be, i never follow a
recipe straight from the book, after all, i doubt Mrs Leong or Mrs Lee would
give all their secrets away would they? So i recommend you do the same, like
i say... i don't like mine to be too herbal in smell & taste & alter mine to
the way i like. Mmm.... BKT for lunch, dinner & breakfast! get healthy
before the Xmas splurge! & after Xmas.... Turkey & gammon FENG & Devil! then
the next round of healthy eating before CNY 2005 & life goes on & on &
on....

DC.

DC.

"Chris Foo" > wrote in message
> yes kway teow is not authentic until it has fried lard and cockles (see

hum)
> in it.

Heeheee... i always laugh whenever i see or hear that word 'see hum', rhymes
with the Cantonese 'see hung', which is quite appropriate regarding that
people say it has to be in dirty waters LOL.

DC.

DC.

<snip>
> I always put the lard in - unfortunately the partner is a cancer
> researcher, and went to some lecture last week, and now is complaining
> about the lard, the ikan bilis, and the dried shrimp.
>
> What to do? Next time cook, better don't tell what I put in, lah!

As a certain TV show puts it.... "Die, Die must try!"

> Bought some nice lap cheong at the Thai store, can try to make char kway
> teow - maybe not fully authentic, but missing the taste, so can try only.

I assume you're using a domestic gas stove & not a proper hawker wok burner,
fry the lupcheong first to release oil, then add in pork lard if using.

(Kway Teow noodles if using the dried Thai or Vietnamese ones, soak in
warm/hot water to rehydrate until soft, then drain & leave for a while to
totally drain off, you might want to pour a little veg. oil to prevent them
from sticking & also a dash or 2 of light soya sauce for a marbled effect
but mainly to get the taste in. Leave to get cool or cold & totally dry!!!
but ready for frying)

Your wok should be very hot now with all the flavoured oils smelling great,
grab a handful & throw in the kway teow & char like there's no tomorrow,
next do everything you see & replicate since you were a kid, standing &
ogling at the CharKwayTeow man & i promise you, it'll be as good but not
better than what you had as a child, you can never better anything from
childhood memories.

This technique works & solves any problems from using a domestic stove to
make CKT because, the kwayteow noodles are already cooked & partly
flavoured, the wok frying only sears it & gives it a nice wok flavour, all
that is left is your skill at replicating the correct ingredients to go in
to flavour it like minced garlic, thick black sauce, egg etc. & finishing
off the dish. This part is fairly simple as it's just adding what you want &
that i leave to you. One further point, do one portion at a time on a home
stove, the heat's not strong enough to do a big job lot like uncles does in
the hawker centres or kopi taims.

DC.