Posted to alt.food.asian

Default BBC's China Food Series

don't think it's yet available outside of Europe. Ching is a
self-taughtTaiwanese-English cook. she's lovely.

the crew had it easy! everything was arranged and researched for them
AND they could understand/speak mandarin. i didn't have any of these
advantages.

listen to Ching on radio talking about her experience:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yep-EV8FPvA

episode one (Peking): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPfoxBhLLuk

episode two (Sichuan): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtd1gpZf6Zg

episode three (Yunnan and Kashgar):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GheabgbAhgc

i've been enjoying this 4 part cookery programme on the BBC (British)
having been to China 3 times just to eat. the Sichuan segment is
particularly emotional for i still remember the smell! Yunnan has it
all. because of the unrest my Xinjiang plan got cancelled. one day i
shall return. after 3 trips, each as long as the the entire duration of
this programme, i have seen very little of China. it's a massive massive
country!

today is the last episode however. i'm going to watch it on telly tonight.
Posted to alt.food.asian

On 8/26/2012 12:50 PM, FG wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtd1gpZf6Zg

A friend over in Ireland was just telling me about this today, so thanks
for posting the link. I started watching the Sichuan episode, and its
just great. I'll have to watch all of it now

Cheers,

Ian

Posted to alt.food.asian

IanG wrote:

> A friend over in Ireland was just telling me about this today, so thanks
> for posting the link. I started watching the Sichuan episode, and its
> just great. I'll have to watch all of it now
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ian

my pleasure.
i'm sure episode 4 (last ep of this series) can be seen on YT now. check
it out.

having been to Hong Kong and Guangdong province i thought episode 4 was
quite enjoyable. the part about Ching's heritage and how it all began
was moving. doubly enjoyable as i've also been to Taiwan and was blown
away by the fantastic food (even though i was visiting only a couple
towns there).
Posted to alt.food.asian

Sqwertz wrote:

>> All 4 episodes are available as torrents for those of us who like to
>> have "hardcopies" and watch them without the use of a computer.
>>
>> http://thepiratebay.se/search/exploring%20china/0/99/0

> Unfortunately they are MP4's so they don't play on all the standard
> TV's and video players. That's what happens when you have to rely on
> other countries to steal stuff for you!
>
> -sw

i too have the hardcopies i watch avi's on telly no problem. my
laptop is connected to the telly.
Posted to alt.food.asian

Sqwertz wrote:

> I don't have a laptop with TV out. I could hook it up to my desktop,
> but then I lose remote capabilities. I just load up a few USB drives
> with movies and shows and plug those in. Everything works fine and I
> don't have to use a computer.
>
> -sw

that will work, too.

my tv is very old and has no usb drives. people are amazed i still use
it (everyone has humongous flat screens these days)

i have to find more Luke Nguyen's episodes (hardcopies). he's
Viet-Australian chef who went to VN made some Viet food series. i've
seen some episodes and they're pretty cool.

Posted to alt.food.asian

On 2012-10-03 06:38, Sqwertz wrote:

> I've been holding off watching these until it was time to take the
> bimonthly pilgrimage to the Asian food stores to stock up on staples
> tomorrow. I just finished the first episode and already I have 22
> items on my shopping list.
>
> I've never heard of Ching He Huang in any media until now. I could
> definitely marry her, even with her British accent.

you haven't heard of her before because some BBC programmes are usually
broadcast in America later if there's an interest.

i'd marry her too, especially with her British accent. however, her
voice when speaking Taiwanese sounds very odd to me. like some Japanese
anime character, actually. but maybe because i don't understand it.

new series for you to check out is Luke Nguyen's Viet food. Australian
accent this time.

enjoy your new Asian ingredients.
Banned

When I first ate Chinese food in the UK in the 1970s, it was really quite unappealing. Everything came in a gloopy sauce and seemed to taste the same, due to the overuse of monosodium glutamate, supposedly a flavour enhancer but in reality, nothing of the kind.compact kitchens