Experienced Member

Location: Manila, Philippines
Default Sinigang (Sour Soup)

In the Philippines, sinigang is one of the best things you can eat on a cold rainy night. It's my comfort food - the hot steaming broth and sour-salty flavor is hard to beat. I realized, however, that for some Westerners, sinigang is not appealing at all. From the smell to the presentation to the flavor - I have received honest comments from friends that sinigang is just not pleasant.

Sinigang can be made with pork, beef, or fish. You also throw in veggies such as water spinach, radish, okra, eggplant, string beans, etc. For the flavor, you use tamarind (or a tamarind mix) and fish sauce. To give you a better idea, check out some sinigang recipes he http://recipe-finder.com/#!/search?q...plate=31f4d298.

My question is this: if you're not from the Philippines, do you have something similar to sinigang? Have you tried this dish? If so, what can you say about it? Really interested in what you have to say!
__________________
Noemi
Recipe-Finder: The Smart Way to Find Recipes
"Sleep 'til you're hungry, eat 'til you're sleepy." ~Author Unknown
Posted to alt.food.asian

I don't know about sinigang but I've lived in Shanghai (China) and I
usually don't really enjoy local fish recipees. I think it's maybe a
matter of presentation/habits.

Though your text make me fancy taste sinigang

On 2011-04-16 13:13:08 +0800, Noemi > said:

> In the Philippines, sinigang is one of the best things you can eat on a
> cold rainy night. It's my comfort food - the hot steaming broth and
> sour-salty flavor is hard to beat. I realized, however, that for some
> Westerners, sinigang is not appealing at all. From the smell to the
> presentation to the flavor - I have received honest comments from
> friends that sinigang is just not pleasant.
>
> Sinigang can be made with pork, beef, or fish. You also throw in
> veggies such as water spinach, radish, okra, eggplant, string beans,
> etc. For the flavor, you use tamarind (or a tamarind mix) and fish
> sauce. To give you a better idea, check out some sinigang recipes he
> http://tinyurl.com/2vypk26.
>
> My question is this: if you're not from the Philippines, do you have
> something similar to sinigang? Have you tried this dish? If so, what
> can you say about it? Really interested in what you have to say!

Experienced Member

Location: Manila, Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermiles View Post

On 2011-04-16 13:13:08 +0800, Noemi said:

In the Philippines, sinigang is one of the best things you can eat on a
cold rainy night. It's my comfort food - the hot steaming broth and
sour-salty flavor is hard to beat. I realized, however, that for some
Westerners, sinigang is not appealing at all. From the smell to the
presentation to the flavor - I have received honest comments from
friends that sinigang is just not pleasant.

Sinigang can be made with pork, beef, or fish. You also throw in
veggies such as water spinach, radish, okra, eggplant, string beans,
etc. For the flavor, you use tamarind (or a tamarind mix) and fish
sauce. To give you a better idea, check out some sinigang recipes he
Recipe Finder: Find recipes at the largest recipe search engine.

My question is this: if you're not from the Philippines, do you have
something similar to sinigang? Have you tried this dish? If so, what
can you say about it? Really interested in what you have to say!
Yes, I totally understand your sentiments about presentation. As for sinigang - I like it best with pork, so if you try it, start with pork.
__________________
Noemi
Recipe-Finder: The Smart Way to Find Recipes
"Sleep 'til you're hungry, eat 'til you're sleepy." ~Author Unknown
Member

Hi I like sinigang specially if it beef sinigang... wow though it is not healthy, because of the calories and fats. I used a free nutritional calculator to check how much calories fats etc that are in the whole recipe.
Member

Speaking of sinigang... I am cooking pork sinigang today... hehe

it's really yummy especially if you put too many vegetables on it.

Banned

Aside from tamarind or the ready-to-use mixture, you can also use Kamias since it produces the same level of sour taste. This is somewhat similar to "paksiw" but the ingredient to make it sour is vinegar. Most "paksiw" dishes use fish since vinegar removes the fishy smell that is not really nice.
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noemi View Post
[...]

my favorite! pork sinigang is the best! =)
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noemi View Post
In the Philippines, sinigang is one of the best things you can eat on a cold rainy night. It's my comfort food - the hot steaming broth and sour-salty flavor is hard to beat. I realized, however, that for some Westerners, sinigang is not appealing at all. From the smell to the presentation to the flavor - I have received honest comments from friends that sinigang is just not pleasant.

Sinigang can be made with pork, beef, or fish. You also throw in veggies such as water spinach, radish, okra, eggplant, string beans, etc. For the flavor, you use tamarind (or a tamarind mix) and fish sauce. To give you a better idea, check out some sinigang recipes he Recipe Finder: Find recipes at the largest recipe search engine.

My question is this: if you're not from the Philippines, do you have something similar to sinigang? Have you tried this dish? If so, what can you say about it? Really interested in what you have to say!

I have tried sinigang. It was a long time ago. I think it was pork sinigang. I love it. I love the flavors of it.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noemi View Post
My question is this: if you're not from the Philippines, do you have something similar to sinigang? Have you tried this dish? If so, what can you say about it? Really interested in what you have to say!
I don't think there are other similar western food that is similar to Sinigang. But I do agree that it is the best dish for a cold rainy night.
Member

Soup of these kind is superb to take specially in late night parties where lot of fun and enjoy have to do. I really love to take it

Member

I like it best when it's a pork and fish sinigang also especially when it's raining outside. The hot soup was perfect for the cold season.

______________________
Acne

Last edited by helen23 : 21-12-2011 at 03:21 PM
Senior Member

Location: New York

Can this soup be prepared by using Chicken. I want to try it with chicken.

Hot and sour soup James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 39 08-02-2010 02:11 AM
Sour and Hot Soup Jean B.[_1_] Recipes (moderated) 0 19-01-2010 10:45 AM
Hot and Sour Soup ktj Recipes 0 20-10-2009 09:29 PM
Hot and Sour Soup Carol1235 Asian Cooking 4 13-02-2009 09:15 AM
Hot and Sour Soup Duckie ® Recipes 0 07-01-2004 05:29 PM