Posted to alt.food.asian

Default Hot and Sour Soup

Does anyone have a realative easy recipe for H&S soup? Are any of
the packet varieties any good?

CRB
Posted to alt.food.asian

Carol1235 > wrote:
> Does anyone have a realative easy recipe for H&S soup? Are any of
> the packet varieties any good?

Thai Po Tak (Hot & Sour Seafood Soup).

If I remember, I'll post the recipe tonight.

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.asian

On Oct 28, 5:33*pm, Carol1235 > wrote:
> Does anyone have a realative easy recipe for H&S soup? * Are any of
> the packet varieties any good?
>
> CRB

Here is one I know that you will enjoy. The problem is that you can't
stop eating it.

This is GREAT!

5 minute -- Sour & Hot Soup
by Gary Hayman

2 qts. Water
` Chicken Bouillon (*1)
1/2 cup Ham, cooked, shredded (*2)
1 Onion, large, sliced very very thin
1 Carrot, shredded
1/2 cup Dried Chinese Mushrooms
1 can Bamboo shoots, shredded or sliced
1/2 tsp. Pepper
-----
4 tbs. Vinegar
6 tbs. Soy Sauce (Japanese regular or lite)
3 tbs. Sherry
1 tsp. Ginger, minced
2 tsp. Thai Hot Sauce (or Tabasco, adjust for
taste)
-----
8 tsp. Cornstarch
1/2 cup Water
-----
3or4 tbs. Eggs, beaten (or egg substitute)
1/2 bunch Spring Onions, diced
6 drops Sesame Oil

Have all ingredients prepared and ready before starting,
for the construction of this is rather quick.

Boil water and add chicken bouillon. (1* - I use 1 tbs. +
of paste concentrate chicken bouillon, but you can use the
powdered or cube type. Just make sure that the liquid
tastes like chicken stock.)

When boiling add ham, onions, carrots, mushrooms, bamboo
and pepper. Boil for 2 minutes. While it is heating to
boil, mix vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, and hot sauce
together. Add this at the 2 minute mark and continue to
boil for 1 minute more. Mix cornstarch and water together
and add to the pot at this time, stirring while mixture
thickens. Slowly pour in beaten eggs in a fine thread,
stirring gently. Immediately remove from heat.

Let cool a bit then add spring onions and sesame oil if
desired. Serves 8 - 12 people. Improves with age.

(*2) You can substitute shredded cooked turkey, chicken,
pork, etc.

If you want, you can add, for more body, 1/2 to 1 cup
cooked rice or cooked thin rice noodles. You can greatly
alter the recipe for different effects and tastes.

==========

A couple or more hints for you.

Makes sure your pot is big enough -- you are using 2 qts
of liquid plus ingredients. You are going to stir and it
expands as it boils; so use one that has room.

Really have all your ingredients prepared ready-to-go. I
divided the recipe into blocks. You can use a bowl for
each block and add your ingredients to the bowls to be
quickly used.

I go lightly on the hot sauce -- but you can adjust. You
want your tongue to tingle for a minute after you stop --
but not to burn it off. I'm not a Tabasco fan so I use
little but ramp-up the black pepper instead. Since I am
sure you will be making this often, start easy and adjust.

You may use a variety of vinegars. Today I used a
combination of apple cider vinegar and rice wine vinegar.
At times I use regular white vinegar. Experiment, but don't
use too much. You would like to capture the sour taste on
the rear sides of your tongue but that it not be
overwhelming. It needs to be there for the soup to be 'sour
and hot.'

For the cornstarch/water to work it has to be well mixed
before you put it in (you may have to stir immediately
before if you have placed it in a bowl waiting to be
added); the soup must be boiling so that the thickening
takes place; that you add enough, but not too much, of the
cornstarch/water so that the soup thickens slightly in that
Chinese way. Don't turn it into gravy, just a thick soup.
Have enough extra cornstarch/water on hand as a back-up in
case you find it is not thick enough after a minute of
boiling.

If you are not familiar with the Sesame Oil it is used
here as a slight flavoring. Don't use too much. You add it
after as it doesn't really take to cooking. Start with your
6 drops or so and adjust in later endeavors.

I mainly use ham, julienned, but I often use beef and
chicken cut in strips. Leftover work well too.

Sometimes I add other vegetables such sprouts, peas,
Edamame, and transparent Yam noodles.

As I said, although great a first, it is even grater when
it cools down or you eat it later or the next day -- if it
lasts that long.

Enjoy ..........

Gary Hayman
Greenbelt, Maryland
Gary's WEB Pages
http://snipurl.com/GarysWebPages

Posted to alt.food.asian

If you need anymore let me know

Hot & Sour Soup (Chinese) 1

6 cups chicken stock (seasoned with some ginger)
2 Tbsp. light soy sauce
1/4 lb. lean pork, in 1/4 inch cubes
6 dried Chinese mushrooms (soaked 3 hours, drained, julienned)
3/4 tsp. ground white pepper
1/4 cup white vinegar
5 Tbsp. cornstarch mixed with 5 Tbsp. water
1/2 cup bamboo shoots, julienned
1/4 dried cloud ears, soaked 1 hr., drained, and shredded
1 cake bean curd, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
4 eggs, beaten

cooked ham, cut in slivers
green onion, chopped
sesame oil to taste
grated carrot
ground black pepper

Bring stock to simmer, add soy sauce, pork, and mushrooms. Simmer
10 minutes. Add pepper, vinegar, and thicken with cornstarch
mixture. Adjust seasonings to taste. Add bamboo, cloud ears, and
bean curd. Bring to simmer and pour in eggs in a very thin stream
over the surface of the soup. Wait 10 seconds and stir gently.
Add garnishes and serve.

Hot & Sour Soup 2
Servings: 10

1 tb wood ear strips soaked in water about 4 hours
1/2 c sliced fresh mushrooms
5 oz bean curd (about 1/3 of a 1 lb package, cut in thin one-inch
slices)
1/2 c bamboo shoots
2 ts salt
2 1/2 tb sugar
4 1/2 tb soy sauce
3/4 ts white pepper
3/4 ts Chinese red hot pepper sauce
10 tb vinegar
1/2 ts sesame oil
1 tb cornstarch, blended with 4 tb water
1/2 c thin strips of fresh pork
3 or 4 beaten eggs
10 c chicken broth
chopped green onions for garnish, if desired

Heat chicken broth to boiling. Add pork strips, bamboo shoots,
Woodear (drained), bean curd, and mushrooms.

Return to boiling and add salt, soy sauce, sugar, white pepper,
red pepper sauce, and vinegar, stirring all along.

Continue boiling for a total cooking time of 20 mins.

Stir in cornstarch mixture and keep stirring until soup is thickened.

Pour beaten eggs gently over the top. Turn off the heat and stir
eggs gently into soup. Add sesame oil.

Spoon into bowls and serve topped with chopped green onions if
desired.

Hot & Spicy Sambal Kim Chiam 3

100 grams dried lily buds (kim chiam) for 200 grams watercress leaves
150 grams medium, cooked prawns (shrimp)
1/2 small spanish (red) onion, thinly sliced
1 lebanese cucumber, chopped
1/4 cup (60ml) coconut cream
1 red chilli, seeded and sliced
80 grams vietnamese mint

1 tablespoon palm sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce or thin soy sauce
1 teaspoon sambal oelek
1/2 teaspoon shrimp paste, dry roasted
juice of 1 lime

The lily buds should resemble thick, brown string. Soak them in
water for 30 minutes, rinse and boil in enough water to cover for
20 minutes, or until the water evaporates. When cool, tie the buds
in knots. Shell the prawns (shrimp), leaving the tails on. Soak
the onion in water for 5 minutes. Drain.

Mix the sugar and fish sauce together until the sugar has dissolved.
Blend together with the remaining dressing ingredients. Place the
lily buds in a bowl with the cucumber, coconut cream and salad
dressing. Add the prawns(shrimp) and toss. Serve garnished with
the onions, chillies and Vietnamese mint.

Hot And Sour Lemongrass Soup 4
Categories: Soup
Yield: 6 Servings

1 recipe Thai Formula (below)
-using red curry paste
1 T coconut oil
1 yellow onion, crescent cut
2 c diced sugar pumpkin
butternut or any variety
-winter squash
4 c chicken, vegetable or fish
-stock
3 lemongrass stalks (bottom 5
-inches
-only) smashed with the
-back of a
-knife
1 c sliced white mushrooms
1 -2 additional tablespoons
-fresh lime
-juice
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro, plus
-a little more for garnish

Mix the ingredients from the Thai Formula in a large bowl.

Heat the oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the onion,
pumpkin pieces and lemongrass, and sauté until just softened, 2-5
minutes.

Add the stock and Thai Formula. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and
simmer uncovered, stirring frequently, for 25 minutes, until the
pumpkin is tender. Add the mushrooms and cook another 2-3 minutes.

Remove the soup from the heat and remove the lemongrass stalks. Stir
in
the lime juice and cilantro; taste, adding more fish sauce or lime
juice to bring up the flavors. Garnish with the extra cilantro.

Thai Formula

For curries and soups

1 tablespoon Garlic-Ginger Paste
2-4 tablespoons green, yellow or red Thai curry paste
3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
1 tablespoon lime zest
1-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon agave nectar

HOT AND SOUR SOUP 5

6 c chicken stock
2 T soy sauce
6 dried Chinese mushrooms (soaked 3 hours, drained, and juilienned)
3/4 t ground white pepper
1/4 C white vinegar
5 T cornstarch mixed w/ 5 T water
1/2 C bamboo shoots, julienned
1/4 C dried cloud ears, soak one hour, drain and shred
1 cake bean curd, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
4 eggs, beaten

cooked ham, slivered
green onion
sesame oil
grated carrot
ground black pepper

Bring stock to a simmer, add soy sauce, ham, and mushrooms. Simmer
ten minutes. Add pepper, vinegar, and thicken with cornstarch.
Adjust seasoning. Add bamboo shoots, cloud ears, and bean curd.
Pour in eggs in very thin stream over surface. Wait ten seconds,
and stir gently.

Add garlic and chili paste for more heat.
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:33:11 -0500, Carol1235 >
wrote:

>Does anyone have a realative easy recipe for H&S soup? Are any of
>the packet varieties any good?
>
>CRB

Member

This recipe is for Chinese Spicy Hot And Sour Soup:
INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
5 dried wood ear mushrooms
4 dried shiitake mushrooms
8 dried tiger lily buds
4 cups chicken stock
1/3 cup diced bamboo shoots
1/3 cup lean ground pork
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons water
1/2 (16 ounce) package firm tofu, cubed
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion
DIRECTIONS
Soak the dried mushrooms and tiger lily buds in warm water for 20 minutes. After trimming off any tough stems, slice the mushrooms. With the fingers, shred the tiger lily stems.
Place the mushrooms, tiger lily buds, stock, bamboo shoots, and shredded pork into a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in soy sauce, sugar, salt, white pepper, and vinegar. Combine cornstarch with 3 tablespoons water. Add a little of the hot soup to the cornstarch, and then return all to the pan. Heat to boiling, stirring. Add the bean curd, and cook 1 to 2 minutes.
Just before serving, turn off the heat. Stir the egg in gradually. Mix in sesame oil. Sprinkle each serving with scallions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquis De Sade[_2_] View Post

wrote:

Does anyone have a realative easy recipe for H&S soup? Are any of
the packet varieties any good?

CRB
Healthy Recipes
Healthy Foods

Hot and sour soup James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 39 08-02-2010 02:11 AM
Sour and Hot Soup Jean B.[_1_] Recipes (moderated) 0 19-01-2010 10:45 AM
Hot and Sour Soup ktj Recipes 0 20-10-2009 09:29 PM
Hot and Sour Soup Duckie ® Recipes 0 27-10-2005 01:24 PM
Hot and Sour Soup Duckie ® Recipes 0 07-01-2004 05:29 PM