Joubert

Default Vietnamese Cuisine

Does anyone out there have any
recipes for Vietnamese Cuisine?

Thank you!

Gregory Toomey

Joubert wrote:

> Does anyone out there have any
> recipes for Vietnamese Cuisine?
>
> Thank you!

These prawn/shrimp rolls are served in Vietnamese restaurants. I made some a
few months ago.
They are served cold & make a good summer dish.

Vietnamese Rice Paper Rolls

10 sheets rice paper, available round or square
100g bean shoots
100g rice vermicelli (rice noodles)
1/2 red capsicum, thinly sliced
cucumber, thinly sliced
1 carrot,thinly sliced
10 cooked green prawns
1 tablespoon fresh spearmint or mint leaves
1 tablespoon fresh coriander
garlic chives or regular chives, one for each roll

Blanch the bean shoots quickly in boiling water, then plunge them
into ice cold water. Drain well. Soak the vermicelli noodles in
boiling water for two minutes, drain well. Soak the rice paper in
warm water for 20 seconds and place on a clean towel or tea towel
to absorb the excess moisture. Tip: To make prawns straight and
easier to roll in rice paper, buy green prawns, peel them and thread
onto a skewer. Drop into boiling water for two minutes, let them
cool and take them off the skewers.

Shred the mint and coriander leaves. Place some noodles and bean
shoots and other ingredients on a piece of rice paper and roll the
rice paper just enough to cover the filling. Tuck in the ends, then
place a piece of prawn in the roll and continue rolling until the
rice paper runs out.

Dipping Sauce

1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar
2 tablespoons fish sauce
garlic, crushed (optional)
1/2 teaspoon pickled red chilli, ground (or fresh to taste)
1 tablespoon roasted peanuts, ground

Boil the water and sugar together for two minutes, then allow to
cool. Mix in the lemon juice or vinegar, fish sauce, crushed garlic,
pickled red chilli and nuts and serve with the rice paper rolls.

gtoomey
Frank Mancuso

Here's this:
Vietnamese Cucumber Relish:
1/2 cup peeled, seeded, julienned cucumber
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup peeled, julienned daikon
1/4 cup peeled, julienned carrot
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
2 teaspoons fish sauce
2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
1 teaspoon mirin
1 teaspoon minced Thai chile, or other red chile

Toss cucumbers with salt in colander. Place colander in sink or over
bowl and let stand 15 minutes. Press down on cucumbers to release
moisture. Rinse, drain and pat dry.

Combine cucumbers with remaining ingredients. Toss to coat. Cover and
refrigerate for 15 minutes.

And this:
http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/asia/vietnamese/

Jayde

In news:BcE0d.293406$Oi.221770@fed1read04,
Joubert > typed:
> Does anyone out there have any recipes for Vietnamese Cuisine?
> Thank you!

Bánh Xèo w/ Nuoc Cham (Sizzling Rice Crêpe w/ Lime Fish Sauce)

For convenience, Asian stores carry prepared crepe batter mix called BOT
BANH XEO, so you can use that instead of the Crepe batter recipe below.
There are many variations of this dish; here's the way I make mine.

Photo of my Bánh Xèo that I uploaded ---->
http://jayde04.tripod.com/ng/afa/temp.html

INGREDIENTS serves 4
--------------------------------
Crepe Batter
1 cup rice flour
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 cup coconut milk (ChauDoc or Chaokoh brand)
1 cup water
3 branches of green onion, sliced into thin rings

Filling
1/2 large yellow onion (sliced paper thin)
1/2 lb raw white shrimp (I peel, devein, and chop mine)
1/2 lb pork (ground)
1 large clove garlic (minced)
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 TBS Fish Sauce (look for a clear, light amber color fish sauce (Nuoc
Mam) with the word "NHI" on it; this indicates a 1st extraction which
is high quality.)

1/2 - 1 lb fresh bean sprouts (cleaned)
1/3 cup split, peeled mung beans (soak for 3 hours in hot water)

Oil
Seasoned Wok, or Non-Stick pan w/ cover
Spatula

NUOC CHAM (dipping sauce)
--------------------------------
There are many variations depending on personal taste, and brand of fish
sauce.

2-3 red Thai bird chillies (sliced thin)
2 TBS sugar
4 TBS fish sauce
6 TBS freshly squeezed lime juice
4 TBS water* warm enough to dilute sugar
1 clove garlic, minced (optl)

Roasted crushed peanuts (optl)
Finely shredded carrots for garnish (optl)

Combine, and let stand for 30 min. *For stronger taste, lessen amount of
water.

INSTRUCTIONS
--------------------------------
Be sure to have the batter, bean sprouts, cooked mung beans, and cooked
pork-shrimp mixture lined up on the counter before you begin making
crepes!

Soak the split, peeled mung beans in hot water for 3 hours. Boil in
water 'til beans are tender. Drain, set aside.

In a large bowl, mix rice flour, sugar, salt, and turmeric. Add water,
green onions, and coconut milk (be sure to shake can before pouring.)
Mix to smooth consistency, and let it rest for 15 minutes.

In a separate bowl, mix/marinate ground pork with sugar, black pepper,
garlic, and fish sauce. Set aside.

Add 1/2 TBS oil into Wok, and heat until bordering on smokey-hot.

Stir-fry pork mixture, and onion slices until cooked. Add shrimp, and
saute 'til it's pink. You can adjust the seasonings by adding more salt
& pepper at this point. Take off heat, and set aside in a separate bowl.

Clean wok, and add 1-2 TBS oil (be sure to coat the sides of wok) -
heat wok. Mix the batter each time before you pour because batter will
settle.

Pour 1/2 cup batter into hot wok. VERY quickly, move wok in a circular
motion to make a round, thin crepe shape (takes seconds), spread some
pork-shrimp mixture evenly all over the crepe, and top with fresh bean
sprouts, and cooked mung beans. If you prefer "crispy" edges like I do,
then spread filling evenly in the middle of crepe.

Lower heat, cover, and allow to cook 'til crepe begins to peel off
sides, and underside is golden. Fold in half like an omelete, and press
down a little w/ spatula, then slide onto dish. Repeat process w/ rest
of the batter.

HERBS
--------------------------------

- Rau Ram (Vietnamese Coriander)
- Tia To (Red and Green Perilla Leaves)
- Asian Basil or Thai Purple Basil
- Mint
- Cucumber
- Cilantro
- Lettuce or Mustard Greens for wrap

If you choose to wrap, toss your chopsticks because it's easier to eat
with fingers, and it's really messy! A finger-bowl with lemon is nice.
My favorite way to eat Bánh Xèo is to cut small pieces of crepe, and
wrap it into lettuce with cucumber slices, Tia To, Mint leaves, Basil,
then drizzle a little Nuoc Cham, or dip into it directly. You can use
all of the herbs listed above, or discover your own favorite
combinations! ~Jayde

Jayde

vietnamese pho kauai Asian Cooking 2 28-05-2008 09:38 PM
Vietnamese anyone? Peter Huebner General Cooking 6 12-11-2005 01:20 AM
Vietnamese Tea Scott Dorsey Tea 11 14-06-2005 06:23 AM
Instruction for Vietnamese iced coffee with Vietnamese ground coffee (Cafe Sua Da) coffeelover General Cooking 5 08-06-2005 03:30 AM