Posted to alt.food.asian

Default bambo steamer

my electric steamer is dying a slow death so i have time to shop for a new
one. I have heard nice things about these bamboo ones. the requirement is
that it has knobs or buttons to operate it, no electronic display or i will
not be able to use it, i would prefer more than one basket and not a huge
dollar amount but am willing to pay for good quality, any suggestions or
opinions would be gratefully received, Lee

Posted to alt.food.asian

"Stormmee" > wrote:
> my electric steamer is dying a slow death so i have time to shop for a
> new one. I have heard nice things about these bamboo ones. the
> requirement is that it has knobs or buttons to operate it, no electronic
> display or i will not be able to use it, i would prefer more than one
> basket and not a huge dollar amount but am willing to pay for good
> quality, any suggestions or opinions would be gratefully received, Lee

I don't know from electric. This is what we use:
http://www.asiarecipe.com/steamer.html A wok should be fine for the steam
source, although Jun uses a Thai pot designed for the purpose.

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.asian

i will have DH look at this, thanks, Lee
"Nick Cramer" > wrote in message
> "Stormmee" > wrote:
>> my electric steamer is dying a slow death so i have time to shop for a
>> new one. I have heard nice things about these bamboo ones. the
>> requirement is that it has knobs or buttons to operate it, no electronic
>> display or i will not be able to use it, i would prefer more than one
>> basket and not a huge dollar amount but am willing to pay for good
>> quality, any suggestions or opinions would be gratefully received, Lee

> I don't know from electric. This is what we use:
> http://www.asiarecipe.com/steamer.html A wok should be fine for the steam
> source, although Jun uses a Thai pot designed for the purpose.
>
> --
> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
> families: https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ Thank a Veteran!
> Support Our Troops: http://anymarine.com/ You are not forgotten.
> Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061

Posted to alt.food.asian

On 21 May 2009 23:18:05 GMT, Nick Cramer >
wrote:

>I don't know from electric. This is what we use:
>http://www.asiarecipe.com/steamer.html A wok should be fine for the steam
>source, although Jun uses a Thai pot designed for the purpose.

I've always been interested to have a bamboo steamer like this. But,
would you tell me -- how do you clean it so you don't have residue
left in the bamboo after cooking?

Thanks. Judy
Judy Heuman
Posted to alt.food.asian

On Thu, 21 May 2009 12:23:01 -0500, Stormmee wrote:

> my electric steamer is dying a slow death so i have time to shop for a new
> one. I have heard nice things about these bamboo ones. the requirement is
> that it has knobs or buttons to operate it, no electronic display or i will
> not be able to use it, i would prefer more than one basket and not a huge
> dollar amount but am willing to pay for good quality, any suggestions or
> opinions would be gratefully received, Lee

Are you suggesting an electronic bamboo steamer?

If there really is such a thing then... Heck, even an electronic
fuzzie-logic rice cooker never comes in bamboo.

Get a three-tier bamboo steamer for $15US and simmer/boil water
under it using a $5 wok or any saucepan.

-sw

Posted to alt.food.asian

On Thu, 21 May 2009 20:26:35 -0400, Judy Heuman wrote:

> I've always been interested to have a bamboo steamer like this. But,
> would you tell me -- how do you clean it so you don't have residue
> left in the bamboo after cooking?

You don't clean a bamboo steamer. You rinse it off under hot water,
brushing off any parts that came into contact with food (always use
wax paper or better). Then let it dry as best as possible. Do not
store it next to the Bounce(tm) dryer sheets in the laundry room.

Bamboo steamers last a long time otherwise.

-sw
Posted to alt.food.asian

Judy Heuman > wrote:
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
> >I don't know from electric. This is what we use:
> >http://www.asiarecipe.com/steamer.html A wok should be fine for the
> >steam source, although Jun uses a Thai pot designed for the purpose.

> I've always been interested to have a bamboo steamer like this. But,
> would you tell me -- how do you clean it so you don't have residue
> left in the bamboo after cooking?

Sure, Judy. Jun and our daughter, Sai, generally use banana leaves, lettuce
or the like. Sometimes they use parchment. You could also use a (not
plastic, please) plate. You should be able to find the steamer at an Asian
market. They're not expensive and last a long time. Ask them about the pot,
too. Have fun!

Thanks ! ! ~Semper Fi~ USMC 1365061
Posted to alt.food.asian

Not sure if there is or not, am open to any suggestions, the electric ones
are a plus for me because i can set it and wander away and it wont burn the
food, my biggest problem in cooking is not being able to sit still long
enough for the food to cook, DH could do the stove steamer fine.

i wasn't clear enough really.

-- we need a steamer.
and what are the benifits to the bamboo over metal or plastic.

if i get electric it needs buttons and knobs if i am to use it.

sorry for rambling i hate this new keyboard.

New steamer George Shirley Preserving 9 26-08-2009 03:10 AM
New juice steamer George Shirley Preserving 5 06-08-2009 08:05 PM
using bamboo steamer; help! kate36 Asian Cooking 11 17-07-2005 12:41 AM
I need a good steamer. Steve Knight General Cooking 0 13-01-2005 05:26 AM
vegetables steamer, which one to buy? Bill General Cooking 10 31-07-2004 11:26 AM