Posted to alt.food.asian

Default Sichuan/Vietnamese hot-pot suggestions?

I've done fondue a lot, but never a broth-based hot pot. We have a pile
of different Viet fish balls, but what else goes with it? Any tricks to
slicing the vegetables for the best flavor?

I have a mix packet called "Sichuan Hot-pot" which I intend to use for
my first time. The ingredients are simple: refined palm oil, chilli,
bean sauce, salt, fermented black bean, ginger, rock sugar, natural
spice, potassium sorbate.

We'll dunk the fish balls, but are welcome to other suggestions. Next
time I'll make my own hot-pot stock, but I look forward to trying this
new-to-me experience.

For the "regulars": <insert smiley with tongue here>

--
Saara

Posted to alt.food.asian

Saara wrote:

> I've done fondue a lot, but never a broth-based hot pot. We have a pile
> of different Viet fish balls, but what else goes with it? Any tricks to
> slicing the vegetables for the best flavor?
>
> I have a mix packet called "Sichuan Hot-pot" which I intend to use for
> my first time. The ingredients are simple: refined palm oil, chilli,
> bean sauce, salt, fermented black bean, ginger, rock sugar, natural
> spice, potassium sorbate.
>
> We'll dunk the fish balls, but are welcome to other suggestions. Next
> time I'll make my own hot-pot stock, but I look forward to trying this
> new-to-me experience.
>
> For the "regulars": <insert smiley with tongue here>

skewer them for the barbie [not sure if you have the
weather for it yet] is also nice, with a cold VN
style minty noodle cucumber salad.

hotpot reigns supreme!
Posted to alt.food.asian
tmo tmo is offline

My in-laws usually start with a chicken broth based broth. Along with
thinly sliced beef we usually have shrimp, fish balls, and squid. The
fish balls are usually thrown in the broth and boiled for a while, but
the shrimp, beef and squid are cooked at the table. As for vegetables
(all cut bite size) we usually have crysanthemum leaves and another
green that escapes me right now. We usually eat the hot pot with a
bowl of rice noodles (Bun). Vietnamese style is usually served with a
fish-sauce based dipping sauce while the Chinese style usually comes
with a peanut-based sauce.

-tmo

Posted to alt.food.asian

Nick Cramer wrote:
> Steve Wertz > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 06:29:51 GMT, Saara wrote:
>>[ . . . ]
>>For the fish balls, dunk the fish balls in nuoc mam sauce and
>>grill (over wood or gas) briefly, 3-4 minutes, basting with more
>>nuoc mam. Serve with butter/green/red lettuce leaves, bean
>>sprouts, cilantro and/or mint, rolled in moistened rice/tapioca
>>wrappers, with more nuoc mam for dipping.

> To me, plain fish sauce is just too salty. Have you tried nuoc cham? It's
> nuoc mam with chiles, lime, sugar and garlic. There are some similar Thai
> sauces.

I love nuoc cham. I often get Bun Ga Nuong for lunch, which has nuoc cham
poured over the top. Sweet, sour, salty all in one.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.asian

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

We ended up dunking the fish balls and some broccoli. Kept it simple.
The broth was very spicy which made it less than pleasant to eat. I
don't have any problem eating spicy foods, but this was grating. The red
palm oil was overwhelming as well.

We have some fish balls left and will take the grilling advice with the
remainder.

Pics on ABF when I get a round tewit.

--
Saara

Posted to alt.food.asian

Saara wrote:
> Thank you everyone for the suggestions!
>
> We ended up dunking the fish balls and some broccoli. Kept it simple.
> The broth was very spicy which made it less than pleasant to eat. I
> don't have any problem eating spicy foods, but this was grating. The
> red palm oil was overwhelming as well.
>
> We have some fish balls left and will take the grilling advice with
> the remainder.
>
> Pics on ABF when I get a round tewit.

I'm handing you a round tewit. :~)

kili

Sichuan Fries? Ian Asian Cooking 4 25-05-2010 11:57 AM
SICHUAN TEAS Shen[_2_] Tea 13 04-07-2007 07:40 AM
Instruction for Vietnamese iced coffee with Vietnamese ground coffee (Cafe Sua Da) coffeelover General Cooking 5 08-06-2005 03:30 AM
NY Sichuan Peter Dy Asian Cooking 29 08-07-2004 01:01 PM
Where to buy Sichuan peppercorn? Edwin Eng General Cooking 9 03-03-2004 07:51 PM