Posted to alt.food.asian
Ian Ian is offline

Default Sichuan Fries?

Hi -

I saw this:
http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2...fries-heat-up/

in the NYT this morning. Its a picture of Ore-Ida Fries spiced
Sichuanly, if thats a word. What could be better than that????

I took a shot at recreating them at home this afternoon, and while what
I had was tasty, I think the ones on the picture must taste much better.

If anyone in our ng are in the Flushing, Queens area, any chance you'd
go over to 'Little Pepper' and try to figure out how they spice them?

I fried whole Sichuan peppers, dried red peppers, chopped garlic,
chopped ginger, and scallions in oil, then added the mostly fried spuds
to it, stirred them a little, then added a tsp of ground cumin. My
tasting told me it wasn't that impressive. I added a spoonful of chili
sauce(LKK's Toban Jian), and mixed it in. I think that last bit might be
the real key, but much more of it is needed, and it probably should be
fried in the oil before adding the fries.

Man, to think that I used to live across the Whitestone Bridge from this
fantastic food area!

If anyone has more info, or conducts any brilliant experiments, please
post about it back here?

Thanks,

Ian
Posted to alt.food.asian

this will go on my to try list, thanks, Lee
"Ian" > wrote in message
> Hi -
>
> I saw this:
> http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2...fries-heat-up/
>
> in the NYT this morning. Its a picture of Ore-Ida Fries spiced Sichuanly,
> if thats a word. What could be better than that????
>
> I took a shot at recreating them at home this afternoon, and while what I
> had was tasty, I think the ones on the picture must taste much better.
>
> If anyone in our ng are in the Flushing, Queens area, any chance you'd go
> over to 'Little Pepper' and try to figure out how they spice them?
>
> I fried whole Sichuan peppers, dried red peppers, chopped garlic, chopped
> ginger, and scallions in oil, then added the mostly fried spuds to it,
> stirred them a little, then added a tsp of ground cumin. My tasting told
> me it wasn't that impressive. I added a spoonful of chili sauce(LKK's
> Toban Jian), and mixed it in. I think that last bit might be the real key,
> but much more of it is needed, and it probably should be fried in the oil
> before adding the fries.
>
> Man, to think that I used to live across the Whitestone Bridge from this
> fantastic food area!
>
> If anyone has more info, or conducts any brilliant experiments, please
> post about it back here?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ian

Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Hi -

I saw this:
Now Serving | French Fries Heat Up - T Magazine Blog - NYTimes.com

[...]

well, Sichuan food is delicious but it is very hot.
be careful that drink a cup of tea to cool the heat inside your body after the Sichuan food.
__________________
www.5ktea.com, the number-one Chinese online teashop ,enjoys the reputation for the best teas and services.
Posted to alt.food.asian

On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 17:40:39 -0400, Ian wrote:

> Hi -
>
> I saw this:
> http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2...fries-heat-up/
>
> in the NYT this morning. Its a picture of Ore-Ida Fries spiced
> Sichuanly, if thats a word. What could be better than that????
>
> I took a shot at recreating them at home this afternoon, and while what
> I had was tasty, I think the ones on the picture must taste much better.
> fried in the oil before adding the fries.

I'm going to make a big batch of chili oil today since I have a
about of pound of dried red chiles that are getting kinda old (but
haven't lost their heat).

These may be next on the menu.

-sw
Banned

wow that looks really tasty. Didnt the cumin do the job?

Sichuan Peanuts and/or Cashews Wilson[_6_] Asian Cooking 4 08-08-2012 12:29 AM
SICHUAN TEAS Shen[_2_] Tea 13 04-07-2007 07:40 AM
NY Sichuan Peter Dy Asian Cooking 29 08-07-2004 01:01 PM
Where to buy Sichuan peppercorn? Edwin Eng General Cooking 9 03-03-2004 07:51 PM
sichuan peppercorns available again Dr.Needles Asian Cooking 6 17-10-2003 03:27 PM