Posted to alt.food.asian

Default Saba Misozuke

The local Marukai has Saba Misozuke in its fish section. Looks like a
saba fillet liberally basted is a yellowish miso paste. Does anybody
know the proper way of cooking it? I like saba, but can't find this in
any of my cookbooks or on the net as a recipe I can read.

Thanks.
Posted to alt.food.asian

Robert T Giles wrote:
> The local Marukai has Saba Misozuke in its fish section. Looks like a
> saba fillet liberally basted is a yellowish miso paste. Does anybody
> know the proper way of cooking it? I like saba, but can't find this in
> any of my cookbooks or on the net as a recipe I can read.

Grill or broil, I would think. I'm not speaking from experience so maybe
someone else can correct me.

--
Dan
Posted to alt.food.asian

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Robert T Giles wrote:
> > The local Marukai has Saba Misozuke in its fish section. Looks like a
> > saba fillet liberally basted is a yellowish miso paste. Does anybody
> > know the proper way of cooking it? I like saba, but can't find this in
> > any of my cookbooks or on the net as a recipe I can read.

> Grill or broil, I would think. I'm not speaking from experience so maybe
> someone else can correct me.
>
> --
> Dan

Yes, Grill or Broil is best. But more often than not it is simply cooked
in a frying pan. Misozuke for fish is usually just miso and mirin.
Most misozuke uses alot of akamiso (red miso) which appears very brownish.
If the miso looks "yellowish" then perhaps it is using more shiromiso
(white miso) which is not as strong or perhaps saikyoumiso (western kyoto
miso)
which is slightly sweet.
In all cases it is fairly common practice to wipe off the miso (not
completely) from
the fish before cooking so that the fish does not come out too salty.
When cooking beware that the miso will burn before the fish so be careful
not
to overcook.
Musashi

RIP, Leila Abu Saba Alison Chaiken General Cooking 9 17-10-2009 08:58 PM
saba wrapping? graham Sushi 8 25-03-2006 12:17 AM
saba wrapping? Dan Logcher Sushi 0 23-03-2006 01:09 PM
saba bunkaboshi barry Sushi 15 13-04-2005 04:19 AM
saba bunkaboshi barry Sushi 0 09-04-2005 01:24 AM