Posted to alt.food.asian

Default Double veins in shrimp

Hello,
I purchased a few bags of shrimp that are about 21-30 frozen, Thailand.
They have the outer shell, plus tail and have been de-veined very nicely.

However, on the underside, there is on each and every one of them, a huge
vein. I've never noticed this on shrimp before. The last time I scraped
out all of the veins, but I'm wondering "what's up" with these shrimp; I've
never noticed this before.

Any comments - thanks.
Dee

Posted to alt.food.asian

Dee Randall wrote:

> Hello,
> I purchased a few bags of shrimp that are about 21-30 frozen, Thailand.
> They have the outer shell, plus tail and have been de-veined very nicely.
>
> However, on the underside, there is on each and every one of them, a huge
> vein. I've never noticed this on shrimp before. The last time I scraped
> out all of the veins, but I'm wondering "what's up" with these shrimp; I've
> never noticed this before.
>
> Any comments - thanks.
> Dee

The only vein you need to worry about is the one on the top side, which
is related to the shrimp's digestive track. I'm not sure what the vein
on the underside is (I've noticed it, too), but I believe it's part of
the nervous system(?).

Sky
Posted to alt.food.asian

skyhooks wrote:

> Dee Randall wrote:

> The only vein you need to worry about is the one on the top side,
> which is related to the shrimp's digestive track.

It's not "related to" the digestive track, it *is* the digestive track. And
you don't have to worry about it at all. It won't hurt you if you eat it.
Remove it if you want to, but it's purely a cosmetic matter.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

> I'm not sure what
> the vein on the underside is (I've noticed it, too), but I believe
> it's part of the nervous system(?).
>
> Sky

Posted to alt.food.asian

>> I'm not sure what
>> the vein on the underside is (I've noticed it, too), but I believe
>> it's part of the nervous system(?).
>>
>> Sky

Sky, I didn't remove the underside vein this time. I peeked cautiously
after they were cooked (upon bringing up to my mouth) and I saw no sign of
these dark veins; therefore I "assumed" that the whole one pound had none of
these showing. I hope so, as I've got several more pounds of frozen ones.

Thanks.
Dee

Member

Hi Dee,

I also found double veins in my shrimp and both are the shrimps waste products and both should be removed. Good eating,
Fern

[quote=Dee Randall;747885]Hello,
I purchased a few bags of shrimp that are about 21-30 frozen, Thailand.
They have the outer shell, plus tail and have been de-veined very nicely.

However, on the underside, there is on each and every one of them, a huge
vein. I've never noticed this on shrimp before. The last time I scraped
out all of the veins, but I'm wondering "what's up" with these shrimp; I've
never noticed this before. Dee