Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown jmcquown is offline

Default Worried about Mom....advice?

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Nexis" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> My worry is this: Lately, she doesn't like to eat. She used to love
>>> breakfast, now she is not interested. She makes food and goes to
>>> restaurants, but eats about what a small (and I mean 1-2 yr old)
>>> child would eat, and not much else. She doesn't eat anything before
>>> 11 am or so (though she's up at 4 am), and has a bowl of soup around
>>>
>>> Does this sound like something serious? Would you insist on talking
>>> to the doctor? Or wait and see what happens?

>> It may be serious. Considering all the medication she is taking, it
>> could be a form of depression also. Get her checked out.
>>

> When I first read the post, I thought it might be a form of
> depression as well. You may wish to have her checked out, if she
> balks, tell her it's for YOUR peace of mind. Call ahead to make the
> appointment and if possible, ask that her doctor call you back before
> hand, or make arrangements to speak with him prior to your mother's
> seeing him. Explain your concerns and ask that he give her a
> thorough going over and check her mental status as well (sometimes
> how they 'feel' mentally isn't checked like how they 'feel'
> physically). He may balk at giving you a full diagnosis due to the
> whole HIPPA thing

-ginny

When HIPPA was first signed into law, the first time I saw my doctor I had
to complete forms indicating to whom they could release medical information.
Most likely Kimberly's mom had to do the same thing at her doctor's office.
If she didn't list Kimberly as someone to be allowed access she should see
if her mom will amend that.

When my mom was in the hospital a while ago they didn't ask her to fill out
HIPPA forms, I guess because she was admitted through the ER. When we
raised the subject she didn't know what HIPPA was. And she frankly didn't
want to think about or be bothered with asking one of the nurses or her
doctor. So we didn't really know what was going on.

To Kimberly, I'd definitely see if you can get her in for a check-up.
Depression could be the answer and a lot of times people don't even realize
they are depressed.

OTOH, it could also be something as simple as a waning appetite as she gets
older. To everyone else it appears my mom doesn't eat enough. But her
doctor has found no physical cause and is not concerned.

Jill