Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Worried about Mom....advice?

Ok, before anyone lectures, I'm not asking for medical advice, just opinions on if
this is really something to worry about or if I'm reading too much into it.

My mom is someone who lives a "healthy lifestyle" and has for decades. When I was a
kid, as the medical world began to evolve, we discovered that cholesterol problems
and heart disease were a problem in my mom's family. She ate right, exercised every
day but Sunday, took supplements, etc. She was lucky in that she didn't like alot of
things that are most people's weakness...i.e. chocolate, most sweets, etc.

A few years ago, she had some problems with shortness of breath & dizziness. 2 days
later she was having a quintuple bypass. She recovered very well, and was soon back
to her busy and active self.

My worry is this: Lately, she doesn't like to eat. She used to love breakfast, now
she is not interested. She makes food and goes to restaurants, but eats about what a
small (and I mean 1-2 yr old) child would eat, and not much else. She doesn't eat
anything before 11 am or so (though she's up at 4 am), and has a bowl of soup around
3 pm or so, and if it wasn't for my dad, I think she'd skip dinner altogether. She
mostly wants soup. In the evening, she'll have a cup or tea or coffee, but not much
else unless there's company and she serves dessert, and then she'll have a few bites.
I have recently talked to her about discussing her lack of appetite with her doctor,
but she thinks it's after effects of a long passed gastric episode (6 weeks ago). She
says she just don't like food much anymore. She still takes vitamins and she's on
medication for cholesterol, blood thinners, and something for blood pressure.

Does this sound like something serious? Would you insist on talking to the doctor? Or
wait and see what happens?

Thanks in advance,

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 14 Oct 2007 09:35:43p, Nexis meant to say...

> Ok, before anyone lectures, I'm not asking for medical advice, just
> opinions on if this is really something to worry about or if I'm reading
> too much into it.
>
> My mom is someone who lives a "healthy lifestyle" and has for decades.
> When I was a kid, as the medical world began to evolve, we discovered
> that cholesterol problems and heart disease were a problem in my mom's
> family. She ate right, exercised every day but Sunday, took supplements,
> etc. She was lucky in that she didn't like alot of things that are most
> people's weakness...i.e. chocolate, most sweets, etc.
>
> A few years ago, she had some problems with shortness of breath &
> dizziness. 2 days later she was having a quintuple bypass. She recovered
> very well, and was soon back to her busy and active self.
>
> My worry is this: Lately, she doesn't like to eat. She used to love
> breakfast, now she is not interested. She makes food and goes to
> restaurants, but eats about what a small (and I mean 1-2 yr old) child
> would eat, and not much else. She doesn't eat anything before 11 am or
> so (though she's up at 4 am), and has a bowl of soup around 3 pm or so,
> and if it wasn't for my dad, I think she'd skip dinner altogether. She
> mostly wants soup. In the evening, she'll have a cup or tea or coffee,
> but not much else unless there's company and she serves dessert, and
> then she'll have a few bites. I have recently talked to her about
> discussing her lack of appetite with her doctor, but she thinks it's
> after effects of a long passed gastric episode (6 weeks ago). She says
> she just don't like food much anymore. She still takes vitamins and
> she's on medication for cholesterol, blood thinners, and something for
> blood pressure.
>
> Does this sound like something serious? Would you insist on talking to
> the doctor? Or wait and see what happens?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> kimberly

I would urge her to consult her doctor. It may very well be nothing, but
I'd want to know for sure. Significant changes in eating habits, bowel
habits, gastric problems, all in general should be looked into. Better
safe than sorry.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
are still free.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message
She still takes vitamins and she's on
> medication for cholesterol, blood thinners, and something for blood
> pressure.
>
> Does this sound like something serious? Would you insist on talking to the
> doctor? Or wait and see what happens?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> kimberly

The longer I stayed on blood pressure medication, cholesterol lowering drugs
(no blood thinner) and vitamin supplements, the sicker I got.

I'm not even beginning to suggest discarding medication that a doctor
orders, but sometimes medications can be changed or adjusted. DH's father's
medication caused him all sorts of problems (really big problems), until DH
started pushing the doctors.

Take charge if possible for another's health care. It's not always easy,
but it is possible.

--
Dee Dee
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 21:35:43 -0700, "Nexis" > wrote:

>Does this sound like something serious? Would you insist on talking to the doctor? Or
>wait and see what happens?

It certainly can't hurt to get it checked out. I myself, probably
wouldn't wait. It may be nothing, but then again, if it is something
and you wait to see what happens, you may end up kicking yourself that
you didn't go get it checked out sooner rather than later. And many
times, if it is something, no matter what, the earlier that it is
discovered means that treatment might be much easier.

Just my two cents.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis > wrote:

> Ok, before anyone lectures, I'm not asking for medical advice,
> just opinions on if this is really something to worry about or
> if I'm reading too much into it.

[snip]

> My worry is this: Lately, she doesn't like to eat. She used to
> love breakfast, now she is not interested. She makes food and
> goes to restaurants, but eats about what a small (and I mean
> 1-2 yr old) child would eat, and not much else. She doesn't
> eat anything before 11 am or so (though she's up at 4 am),
> and has a bowl of soup around 3 pm or so, and if it wasn't for
> my dad, I think she'd skip dinner altogether. She mostly wants
> soup. In the evening, she'll have a cup or tea or coffee, but
> not much else unless there's company and she serves dessert,
> and then she'll have a few bites. I have recently talked to
> her about discussing her lack of appetite with her doctor, but
> she thinks it's after effects of a long passed gastric episode
> (6 weeks ago). She says she just don't like food much anymore.

You are definitely right to be concerned. The first question
that comes to mind: has she lost weight? If not, then there
is probably not too much to worry about -- although she's still
best off talking to her doctor about it.

If she is losing weight, and especially if her weight is now below
normal, then it is more important to seek medical attention.
From the sound of it, she has a regular doctor, and she almost
certainly is weighed at each doctor visit, so the doctor
(if they're paying attention) should notice any big change.
In most cases unexpected weight loss calls for a physical exam
and perhaps lab work.

Best,
Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

> My worry is this: Lately, she doesn't like to eat. She used to love
> breakfast, now she is not interested. She makes food and goes to
> restaurants, but eats about what a small (and I mean 1-2 yr old) child
> would eat, and not much else. She doesn't eat anything before 11 am or
> so (though she's up at 4 am), and has a bowl of soup around 3 pm or so,
> and if it wasn't for my dad, I think she'd skip dinner altogether. She
> mostly wants soup. In the evening, she'll have a cup or tea or coffee,
> but not much else unless there's company and she serves dessert, and
> then she'll have a few bites. I have recently talked to her about
> discussing her lack of appetite with her doctor, but she thinks it's
> after effects of a long passed gastric episode (6 weeks ago). She says
> she just don't like food much anymore. She still takes vitamins and
> she's on medication for cholesterol, blood thinners, and something for
> blood pressure.
>
> Does this sound like something serious? Would you insist on talking to
> the doctor? Or wait and see what happen

Has she admitted to or have you noticed a weight loss? What exactly was
the gastric "episode" she experienced weeks ago?
Otherwise, anorexia could obviously be a sign of many problems. I would
suggest a visit to her GP.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message

> Does this sound like something serious? Would you insist on talking to the
> doctor? Or wait and see what happens?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> kimberly

Sounds serious to me. Deliberately or not, your mother seems to be starving
herself. If she refuses to see her doctor, then you and/or your father
should let the doctor know what's going on. Ask yourself what could happen
if you just "wait and see".

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice Friese" > wrote in message

> "Nexis" > wrote in message
>
>> Does this sound like something serious? Would you insist on talking to
>> the doctor? Or wait and see what happens?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> kimberly

> Sounds serious to me. Deliberately or not, your mother seems to be
> starving herself. If she refuses to see her doctor, then you and/or your
> father should let the doctor know what's going on. Ask yourself what could
> happen if you just "wait and see".
>
> Felice

I'm not even suggesting this is the case in your case; but just ruminating
about my m-i-l who first stopped drinking coffee, after drinking it all her
life from morning until night, when she started at the beginning of
dementia/Alzheimers. Later it dwindled down to eating almost nothing. When
we visited, all of our meals were at restaurants; she would maybe eat a
spoonful of this or that. But at one of the places we ate, there were
free-hand-out cookies at the register (packaged, of course, for Janet), and
she would always practically skip to those cookies on the way out.

But, she had been a fussy eater all her life; I don't think she had ever
gained an ounce.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

> Does this sound like something serious? Would you insist on talking to
> the doctor? Or wait and see what happens?
>
> Thanks in advance,

Talking her into going for a check-up at your Doc. couldn't hurt,
Kimberly. Hope you can swing it.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Garlic: the element without which life as we know it would be impossible
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message
> Ok, before anyone lectures, I'm not asking for medical advice, just
> opinions on if this is really something to worry about or if I'm reading
> too much into it.
>
> My mom is someone who lives a "healthy lifestyle" and has for decades.
> When I was a kid, as the medical world began to evolve, we discovered that
> cholesterol problems and heart disease were a problem in my mom's family.
> She ate right, exercised every day but Sunday, took supplements, etc. She
> was lucky in that she didn't like alot of things that are most people's
> weakness...i.e. chocolate, most sweets, etc.
>
> A few years ago, she had some problems with shortness of breath &
> dizziness. 2 days later she was having a quintuple bypass. She recovered
> very well, and was soon back to her busy and active self.
>
> My worry is this: Lately, she doesn't like to eat. She used to love
> breakfast, now she is not interested. She makes food and goes to
> restaurants, but eats about what a small (and I mean 1-2 yr old) child
> would eat, and not much else. She doesn't eat anything before 11 am or so
> (though she's up at 4 am), and has a bowl of soup around 3 pm or so, and
> if it wasn't for my dad, I think she'd skip dinner altogether. She mostly
> wants soup. In the evening, she'll have a cup or tea or coffee, but not
> much else unless there's company and she serves dessert, and then she'll
> have a few bites. I have recently talked to her about discussing her lack
> of appetite with her doctor, but she thinks it's after effects of a long
> passed gastric episode (6 weeks ago). She says she just don't like food
> much anymore. She still takes vitamins and she's on medication for
> cholesterol, blood thinners, and something for blood pressure.
>
> Does this sound like something serious? Would you insist on talking to the
> doctor? Or wait and see what happens?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> kimberly

Older people often lose their appetite. Sometimes the food just doesn't
taste like it used to.

I'm only 48 and am going through some similar issues myself, although not as
extreme as your mom. I have food allergies which limits what I can eat.
Also have diabetes and diabetic gastroparesis. That means I might throw up
if I do eat! And the gastroparesis diet limits me even further. I am
overweight though so I can use that as an excuse when I don't want to eat.
Doesn't seem to help with the weight loss though. I take vitamins and was
recommended by my naturopath that I take some Super Algae capsules for added
nutrition.

Is your mom losing weight? Or has she lost too much weight? If not, I
wouldn't worry about it too much. Especially if she isn't very active.
People need less calories as they age.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message

> I'm not even suggesting this is the case in your case; but just ruminating
> about my m-i-l who first stopped drinking coffee, after drinking it all
> her life from morning until night, when she started at the beginning of
> dementia/Alzheimers. Later it dwindled down to eating almost nothing.
> When we visited, all of our meals were at restaurants; she would maybe eat
> a spoonful of this or that. But at one of the places we ate, there were
> free-hand-out cookies at the register (packaged, of course, for Janet),
> and she would always practically skip to those cookies on the way out.
>
> But, she had been a fussy eater all her life; I don't think she had ever
> gained an ounce.
> Dee Dee

I had a friend with Alzheimer's. His eating was horrible. He might eat a
whole meal three times in rapid succession because he'd forgotten that he
had just eaten. Or he might go for days without eating because he thought
he already ate. Can be tough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message

> My worry is this: Lately, she doesn't like to eat. She used to love
> breakfast, now she is not interested. She makes food and goes to
> restaurants, but eats about what a small (and I mean 1-2 yr old) child
> would eat, and not much else. She doesn't eat anything before 11 am or so
> (though she's up at 4 am), and has a bowl of soup around

> Does this sound like something serious? Would you insist on talking to the
> doctor? Or wait and see what happens?

It may be serious. Considering all the medication she is taking, it could be
a form of depression also. Get her checked out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Nexis" > wrote in message
>>
>> My worry is this: Lately, she doesn't like to eat. She used to love
>> breakfast, now she is not interested. She makes food and goes to
>> restaurants, but eats about what a small (and I mean 1-2 yr old) child
>> would eat, and not much else. She doesn't eat anything before 11 am or so
>> (though she's up at 4 am), and has a bowl of soup around

>> Does this sound like something serious? Would you insist on talking to
>> the doctor? Or wait and see what happens?

> It may be serious. Considering all the medication she is taking, it could
> be a form of depression also. Get her checked out.

When I first read the post, I thought it might be a form of depression as
well. You may wish to have her checked out, if she balks, tell her it's for
YOUR peace of mind. Call ahead to make the appointment and if possible, ask
that her doctor call you back before hand, or make arrangements to speak
with him prior to your mother's seeing him. Explain your concerns and ask
that he give her a thorough going over and check her mental status as well
(sometimes how they 'feel' mentally isn't checked like how they 'feel'
physically). He may balk at giving you a full diagnosis due to the whole
HIPPA thing, but tell him you will tell him what you have noticed and he can
take it from there. Depression is treatable and I would look at that as a
possibility before Alzheimers, but in any case, get her a thorough physical.
It may be as simple as one med conflicting with another, so changing them
around could make a world of difference.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Nexis wrote:

> Ok, before anyone lectures, I'm not asking for medical advice, just opinions on if
> this is really something to worry about or if I'm reading too much into it.
>
> My mom is someone who lives a "healthy lifestyle" and has for decades. When I was a
> kid, as the medical world began to evolve, we discovered that cholesterol problems
> and heart disease were a problem in my mom's family. She ate right, exercised every
> day but Sunday, took supplements, etc. She was lucky in that she didn't like alot of
> things that are most people's weakness...i.e. chocolate, most sweets, etc.
>
> A few years ago, she had some problems with shortness of breath & dizziness. 2 days
> later she was having a quintuple bypass. She recovered very well, and was soon back
> to her busy and active self.
>
> My worry is this: Lately, she doesn't like to eat. She used to love breakfast, now
> she is not interested. She makes food and goes to restaurants, but eats about what a
> small (and I mean 1-2 yr old) child would eat, and not much else. She doesn't eat
> anything before 11 am or so (though she's up at 4 am), and has a bowl of soup around
> 3 pm or so, and if it wasn't for my dad, I think she'd skip dinner altogether. She
> mostly wants soup. In the evening, she'll have a cup or tea or coffee, but not much
> else unless there's company and she serves dessert, and then she'll have a few bites.
> I have recently talked to her about discussing her lack of appetite with her doctor,
> but she thinks it's after effects of a long passed gastric episode (6 weeks ago). She
> says she just don't like food much anymore. She still takes vitamins and she's on
> medication for cholesterol, blood thinners, and something for blood pressure.
>
> Does this sound like something serious? Would you insist on talking to the doctor? Or
> wait and see what happens?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> kimberly

So sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she improves quickly. The
problem with your mom is potentially serious, but only a doctor or nurse
can say so with an examination and labwork. It'd probably be best to
consult the doc as soon as possible.

On the other hand, however, perhaps her current eating habits might be
due to something as simple as her sense of smell/taste has altered or
disappeared. My grandmother had that problem - she'd lost her sense of
smell/taste and eating properly became a definite chore for her since
she no longer enjoyed the foods.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Nexis" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> My worry is this: Lately, she doesn't like to eat. She used to love
>>> breakfast, now she is not interested. She makes food and goes to
>>> restaurants, but eats about what a small (and I mean 1-2 yr old)
>>> child would eat, and not much else. She doesn't eat anything before
>>> 11 am or so (though she's up at 4 am), and has a bowl of soup around
>>>
>>> Does this sound like something serious? Would you insist on talking
>>> to the doctor? Or wait and see what happens?

>> It may be serious. Considering all the medication she is taking, it
>> could be a form of depression also. Get her checked out.
>>

> When I first read the post, I thought it might be a form of
> depression as well. You may wish to have her checked out, if she
> balks, tell her it's for YOUR peace of mind. Call ahead to make the
> appointment and if possible, ask that her doctor call you back before
> hand, or make arrangements to speak with him prior to your mother's
> seeing him. Explain your concerns and ask that he give her a
> thorough going over and check her mental status as well (sometimes
> how they 'feel' mentally isn't checked like how they 'feel'
> physically). He may balk at giving you a full diagnosis due to the
> whole HIPPA thing

-ginny

When HIPPA was first signed into law, the first time I saw my doctor I had
to complete forms indicating to whom they could release medical information.
Most likely Kimberly's mom had to do the same thing at her doctor's office.
If she didn't list Kimberly as someone to be allowed access she should see
if her mom will amend that.

When my mom was in the hospital a while ago they didn't ask her to fill out
HIPPA forms, I guess because she was admitted through the ER. When we
raised the subject she didn't know what HIPPA was. And she frankly didn't
want to think about or be bothered with asking one of the nurses or her
doctor. So we didn't really know what was going on.

To Kimberly, I'd definitely see if you can get her in for a check-up.
Depression could be the answer and a lot of times people don't even realize
they are depressed.

OTOH, it could also be something as simple as a waning appetite as she gets
older. To everyone else it appears my mom doesn't eat enough. But her
doctor has found no physical cause and is not concerned.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> Nexis wrote:
>
>> My worry is this: Lately, she doesn't like to eat. She used to love

<snip>

>> Does this sound like something serious? Would you insist on talking to the doctor?
>> Or wait and see what happen

> Has she admitted to or have you noticed a weight loss? What exactly was the gastric
> "episode" she experienced weeks ago?
> Otherwise, anorexia could obviously be a sign of many problems. I would suggest a
> visit to her GP.

No weight loss to speak of so far. The gastric thing was a stomach bug, nausea and
feeling lousy for about a week. She's not anorexic, at least I don't think so. She
doesn't fixate on her weight or feel she needs to lose any. She's just lost interest
in food in general.

Thanks,

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

> Ok, before anyone lectures, I'm not asking for medical advice, just
> opinions on if this is really something to worry about or if I'm
> reading too much into it.
>
> My mom is someone who lives a "healthy lifestyle" and has for
> decades. When I was a kid, as the medical world began to evolve, we
> discovered that cholesterol problems and heart disease were a problem
> in my mom's family. She ate right, exercised every day but Sunday,
> took supplements, etc. She was lucky in that she didn't like alot of
> things that are most people's weakness...i.e. chocolate, most sweets,
> etc.
>
> A few years ago, she had some problems with shortness of breath &
> dizziness. 2 days later she was having a quintuple bypass. She
> recovered very well, and was soon back to her busy and active self.
>
> My worry is this: Lately, she doesn't like to eat. She used to love
> breakfast, now she is not interested. She makes food and goes to
> restaurants, but eats about what a small (and I mean 1-2 yr old)
> child would eat, and not much else. She doesn't eat anything before
> 11 am or so (though she's up at 4 am), and has a bowl of soup around
> 3 pm or so, and if it wasn't for my dad, I think she'd skip dinner
> altogether. She mostly wants soup. In the evening, she'll have a cup
> or tea or coffee, but not much else unless there's company and she
> serves dessert, and then she'll have a few bites. I have recently
> talked to her about discussing her lack of appetite with her doctor,
> but she thinks it's after effects of a long passed gastric episode (6
> weeks ago). She says she just don't like food much anymore. She still
> takes vitamins and she's on medication for cholesterol, blood
> thinners, and something for blood pressure.
>
> Does this sound like something serious? Would you insist on talking
> to the doctor? Or wait and see what happens?
>
> Thanks in advance,

I would insist on talking to the doctor.

--
Dan Goodman
"You, each of you, have some special wild cards. Play with them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> When HIPPA was first signed into law, the first time I saw my doctor I had
> to complete forms indicating to whom they could release medical information.
> Most likely Kimberly's mom had to do the same thing at her doctor's office.
> If she didn't list Kimberly as someone to be allowed access she should see
> if her mom will amend that.
>
> When my mom was in the hospital a while ago they didn't ask her to fill out
> HIPPA forms, I guess because she was admitted through the ER. When we
> raised the subject she didn't know what HIPPA was. And she frankly didn't
> want to think about or be bothered with asking one of the nurses or her
> doctor. So we didn't really know what was going on.
>
> To Kimberly, I'd definitely see if you can get her in for a check-up.
> Depression could be the answer and a lot of times people don't even realize
> they are depressed.
>
> OTOH, it could also be something as simple as a waning appetite as she gets
> older. To everyone else it appears my mom doesn't eat enough. But her
> doctor has found no physical cause and is not concerned.
>
> Jill

First off, it is HIPAA, not HIPPA. It doesn't affect your mom getting
information about her own condition directly if she asks right there
while getting cared for.
The HIPAA laws protect patient information from being disclosed to
others who have no right or need to know. And you'd be shocked to hear
some of the instances I've experienced on people seeking information
that have *no* business hearing it! Trauma-Drama, we call it, lol.
If your mom asked for information about her own condition to a health
care provider while you're standing right there, I might ask her if she
wants me to tell you too or perhaps I'll just assume her bringing it up
implies she has no problems with you hearing the answer, but signing
some piece of paper is just a way to alert the patient to the law and
cover the hospitals ass later should something be questioned about
privacy. That piece of signed paper isn't required.

As for the OP's mom- depression is a very real possibility and pretty
common in the elderly. But as has been mentioned also, taste buds also
diminish over time and often affect the pleasure of eating. Sweet foods
are often most enjoyed as that is the taste least (or lastly) lost.
But I've also seen many patients who slowly lose their appetite because
slow growing tumors are compressing the stomach and leading to a false
sense of fullness, or other illnesses which affect appetite. So she
really does need a full work up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis wrote:

> No weight loss to speak of so far. The gastric thing was a stomach bug,
> nausea and feeling lousy for about a week. She's not anorexic, at least
> I don't think so. She doesn't fixate on her weight or feel she needs to
> lose any. She's just lost interest in food in general.
>
> Thanks,
>
> kimberly

FYI- anorexia just means her loss of desire to eat. Loss of appetite.
That is the medical term.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nexis > wrote:

>"Goomba38" > wrote in message

>> Has she admitted to or have you noticed a weight loss? What
>> exactly was the gastric "episode" she experienced weeks ago?
>> Otherwise, anorexia could obviously be a sign of many
>> problems. I would suggest a visit to her GP.

>No weight loss to speak of so far. The gastric thing was a stomach bug,
>nausea and feeling lousy for about a week. She's not anorexic, at
>least I don't think so.

>She doesn't fixate on her weight or feel she needs to lose any.

Just as an aside, "anorexia" simply means not having an appetite.
It is a different term than "anorexia nervosa", the psychological
condition common to teenaged girls.

"Stomach bug" is presumptive and it may not have been a bug.
The gastric problem followed by extended anorexia could be a signal
at something serious, for example appendicitis, pancreatitis, or
viral hepatitis (hep A).

In most cases if there's a physical cause it can be figured out
pretty easily.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 > wrote:

>First off, it is HIPAA, not HIPPA. It doesn't affect your mom getting
>information about her own condition directly if she asks right there
>while getting cared for.
>The HIPAA laws protect patient information from being disclosed to
>others who have no right or need to know. And you'd be shocked to hear
>some of the instances I've experienced on people seeking information
>that have *no* business hearing it! Trauma-Drama, we call it, lol.
>If your mom asked for information about her own condition to a health
>care provider while you're standing right there, I might ask her if she
>wants me to tell you too or perhaps I'll just assume her bringing it up
>implies she has no problems with you hearing the answer, but signing
>some piece of paper is just a way to alert the patient to the law and
>cover the hospitals ass later should something be questioned about
>privacy. That piece of signed paper isn't required.

In my experience, staff at private hospitals will evade giving
out information to relatives, whereas hospitals set up to serve
Medicaid/Medicare/VA/Tricare will liberally tell relatives
lots of details. I suppose this is because nobody sues them.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> In my experience, staff at private hospitals will evade giving
> out information to relatives, whereas hospitals set up to serve
> Medicaid/Medicare/VA/Tricare will liberally tell relatives
> lots of details. I suppose this is because nobody sues them.
>
> Steve

Almost all hospitals in the US accept Medicare/Medicaid/Tricare
patients. Medicare, Medicaid and Tricare patients most certainly can
sue, and in some cases families of VA patients have been known to sue.
To my knowledge, HIPAA hasn't really been tested in the courts? I find
it is frequently misunderstood by people as well as how it is
interpreted by healthcare organizations.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> When HIPPA was first signed into law, the first time I saw my doctor
>> I had to complete forms indicating to whom they could release
>> medical information. Most likely Kimberly's mom had to do the same
>> thing at her doctor's office. If she didn't list Kimberly as someone
>> to be allowed access she should see if her mom will amend that.
>>
>> When my mom was in the hospital a while ago they didn't ask her to
>> fill out HIPPA forms, I guess because she was admitted through the
>> ER. When we raised the subject she didn't know what HIPPA was. And
>> she frankly didn't want to think about or be bothered with asking
>> one of the nurses or her doctor. So we didn't really know what was
>> going on.
>>
>> To Kimberly, I'd definitely see if you can get her in for a check-up.
>> Depression could be the answer and a lot of times people don't even
>> realize they are depressed.
>>
>> OTOH, it could also be something as simple as a waning appetite as
>> she gets older. To everyone else it appears my mom doesn't eat
>> enough. But her doctor has found no physical cause and is not
>> concerned.
>>
>> Jill
>>

> First off, it is HIPAA, not HIPPA. It doesn't affect your mom getting
> information about her own condition directly if she asks right there
> while getting cared for.

Sorry for the misspelling; I should know it since it was part of the friggin
health insurance licensing exam! Of course my mom can get her own medical
information. But she didn't understand what they told her or what kind of
test they were going to do on her. She asked if she could get breakfast the
morning after she was admitted and they said not until after her test. But
when I spoke to her she couldn't tell me what kind of test. Since she
hadn't filled out the HIPAA forms neither my brother or I had no way of
finding out what was going on.

> The HIPAA laws protect patient information from being disclosed to
> others who have no right or need to know. And you'd be shocked to hear
> some of the instances I've experienced on people seeking information
> that have *no* business hearing it! Trauma-Drama, we call it, lol.
> If your mom asked for information about her own condition to a health
> care provider while you're standing right there, I might ask her if
> she wants me to tell you too or perhaps I'll just assume her bringing
> it up implies she has no problems with you hearing the answer, but
> signing some piece of paper is just a way to alert the patient to the
> law and cover the hospitals ass later should something be questioned
> about privacy. That piece of signed paper isn't required.
>
> As for the OP's mom- depression is a very real possibility and pretty
> common in the elderly. But as has been mentioned also, taste buds also
> diminish over time and often affect the pleasure of eating. Sweet
> foods are often most enjoyed as that is the taste least (or lastly)
> lost. But I've also seen many patients who slowly lose their appetite
> because slow growing tumors are compressing the stomach and leading
> to a false sense of fullness, or other illnesses which affect
> appetite. So she really does need a full work up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> In my experience, staff at private hospitals will evade giving
> out information to relatives, whereas hospitals set up to serve
> Medicaid/Medicare/VA/Tricare will liberally tell relatives
> lots of details. I suppose this is because nobody sues them.
>
> Steve

Veterans Administration, New Haven, is very reluctant to tell relatives
details.

But it's simple if you have a power of attorney. Fax a copy to them if they
need it.

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Sorry for the misspelling; I should know it since it was part of the
> friggin
> health insurance licensing exam! Of course my mom can get her own medical
> information. But she didn't understand what they told her or what kind of
> test they were going to do on her. She asked if she could get breakfast
> the
> morning after she was admitted and they said not until after her test.
> But
> when I spoke to her she couldn't tell me what kind of test. Since she
> hadn't filled out the HIPAA forms neither my brother or I had no way of
> finding out what was going on.

You or your Mom can always ask for a social worker or a patient
representative to come and explain things to her or to you all as a family
the details of what forms need to be signed to give other people the right
to ask about their condition. You as a family can also ask a family law
attorney to write up a general or a medical power of attorney for you and
your brother as long as your mom is in agreement.

At 38 with a variety of health concerns I have both a general power of
attorney for my spouse and my parents as well as medical power of attorney
for all three of them as well as for my oldest sister. The last time I had a
bad turn with bradycardia and then arrest it reminded me how glad I was to
have thought ahead because it was in the middle of the night and there was
no way I could communicate with them at all. People who think they are too
young or too healthy should think ahead to the worst possible scenario.

If you take your Mom to the doctor and go in with her, you can address this
with the physician during the visit. Usually there is a form letter Medical
POA available.

My medications often effect my appetite, my taste buds, my hunger levels.
Since you certainly can't guess very accurately it's best to contact the
physican and go from there. I wish you much luck.

Cindi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nexis" > wrote:

> Does this sound like something serious? Would you insist on talking to the
> doctor? Or wait and see what happens?

Loss of appetite can occur for a variety of reasons, but if I were you,
I would urge her to pay a visit to her doctor to discuss this situation
ASAP. Better to be safe than sorry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

> Veterans Administration, New Haven, is very reluctant to tell relatives
> details.
>
> But it's simple if you have a power of attorney. Fax a copy to them if they
> need it.
>
> Dee Dee

There are relatives (sometimes way tooo many, often of dubious bloodties
and the wife has already told us to keep the "fiance" out.) and then....
*there are the next-of-kin* kinda folks. That Next Of Kin person,
usually spouse, parent, or perhaps designated child, is the kin who can
give consent in times the pt is unable to give consent themselves. That
person is given information as appropriate, and in the ideal world that
person shares it with the other 2948 people all claiming to be nearest
and dearest. I always wonder when the "cousin here to visit bubba"
claims to be so close and yet doesn't actually know Bubba's real name.
Or last name. That's always a fun game to play......
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindi - HappyMamatoThree wrote:
>> Sorry for the misspelling; I should know it since it was part of the
>> friggin
>> health insurance licensing exam! Of course my mom can get her own
>> medical information. But she didn't understand what they told her
>> or what kind of test they were going to do on her. She asked if she
>> could get breakfast the
>> morning after she was admitted and they said not until after her
>> test. But
>> when I spoke to her she couldn't tell me what kind of test. Since
>> she hadn't filled out the HIPAA forms neither my brother or I had no
>> way of finding out what was going on.
>>

> You or your Mom can always ask for a social worker or a patient
> representative to come and explain things to her or to you all as a
> family the details of what forms need to be signed to give other
> people the right to ask about their condition. You as a family can
> also ask a family law attorney to write up a general or a medical
> power of attorney for you and your brother as long as your mom is in
> agreement.

That may be true, but Mom is in southern-most South Carolina and I'm in west
Tennessee.

> If you take your Mom to the doctor and go in with her, you can
> address this with the physician during the visit. Usually there is a
> form letter Medical POA available.

But we don't live anywhere near each other! 2 states apart no matter which
way you go to get there, either across TN through NC or across TN through
GA. She just doesn't understand the importance of the paperwork. And
neither of my parents (who are in their 80's) have bothered with the POA
thing. (sigh)

> My medications often effect my appetite, my taste buds, my hunger
> levels. Since you certainly can't guess very accurately it's best to
> contact the physican and go from there. I wish you much luck.
>
> Cindi

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Dan is offline

jmcquown wrote:
> Cindi - HappyMamatoThree wrote:
>>> Sorry for the misspelling; I should know it since it was part of the
>>> friggin
>>> health insurance licensing exam! Of course my mom can get her own
>>> medical information. But she didn't understand what they told her
>>> or what kind of test they were going to do on her. She asked if she
>>> could get breakfast the
>>> morning after she was admitted and they said not until after her
>>> test. But
>>> when I spoke to her she couldn't tell me what kind of test. Since
>>> she hadn't filled out the HIPAA forms neither my brother or I had no
>>> way of finding out what was going on.
>>>

>> You or your Mom can always ask for a social worker or a patient
>> representative to come and explain things to her or to you all as a
>> family the details of what forms need to be signed to give other
>> people the right to ask about their condition. You as a family can
>> also ask a family law attorney to write up a general or a medical
>> power of attorney for you and your brother as long as your mom is in
>> agreement.
>>

> That may be true, but Mom is in southern-most South Carolina and I'm in west
> Tennessee.
>
>> If you take your Mom to the doctor and go in with her, you can
>> address this with the physician during the visit. Usually there is a
>> form letter Medical POA available.
>>

> But we don't live anywhere near each other! 2 states apart no matter which
> way you go to get there, either across TN through NC or across TN through
> GA. She just doesn't understand the importance of the paperwork. And
> neither of my parents (who are in their 80's) have bothered with the POA
> thing. (sigh)
>
>> My medications often effect my appetite, my taste buds, my hunger
>> levels. Since you certainly can't guess very accurately it's best to
>> contact the physican and go from there. I wish you much luck.
>>
>> Cindi

What else do you have to do? Hop in that Geo and be with your parents.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message
> Ok, before anyone lectures, I'm not asking for medical advice, just
> opinions on if this is really something to worry about or if I'm reading
> too much into it.
>
> My mom is someone who lives a "healthy lifestyle" and has for decades.
> When I was a kid, as the medical world began to evolve, we discovered
> that cholesterol problems and heart disease were a problem in my mom's
> family. She ate right, exercised every day but Sunday, took supplements,
> etc. She was lucky in that she didn't like alot of things that are most
> people's weakness...i.e. chocolate, most sweets, etc.
>
> A few years ago, she had some problems with shortness of breath &
> dizziness. 2 days later she was having a quintuple bypass. She recovered
> very well, and was soon back to her busy and active self.
>
> My worry is this: Lately, she doesn't like to eat. She used to love
> breakfast, now she is not interested. She makes food and goes to
> restaurants, but eats about what a small (and I mean 1-2 yr old) child
> would eat, and not much else. She doesn't eat anything before 11 am or
> so (though she's up at 4 am), and has a bowl of soup around 3 pm or so,
> and if it wasn't for my dad, I think she'd skip dinner altogether. She
> mostly wants soup. In the evening, she'll have a cup or tea or coffee,
> but not much else unless there's company and she serves dessert, and
> then she'll have a few bites. I have recently talked to her about
> discussing her lack of appetite with her doctor, but she thinks it's
> after effects of a long passed gastric episode (6 weeks ago). She says
> she just don't like food much anymore. She still takes vitamins and
> she's on medication for cholesterol, blood thinners, and something for
> blood pressure.
>
> Does this sound like something serious? Would you insist on talking to
> the doctor? Or wait and see what happens?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> kimberly

I would be extremely worried. Your mother is starving herself. My mom
didn't eat much more and it caused renal failure. That's what caused her
death. It's like a form of anorexia. She may be depressed too.

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...
> Oh pshaw, on Sun 14 Oct 2007 09:35:43p, Nexis meant to say...
>
>> Ok, before anyone lectures, I'm not asking for medical advice, just
>> opinions on if this is really something to worry about or if I'm
>> reading
>> too much into it.
>>
>> My mom is someone who lives a "healthy lifestyle" and has for decades.
>> When I was a kid, as the medical world began to evolve, we discovered
>> that cholesterol problems and heart disease were a problem in my mom's
>> family. She ate right, exercised every day but Sunday, took
>> supplements,
>> etc. She was lucky in that she didn't like alot of things that are most
>> people's weakness...i.e. chocolate, most sweets, etc.
>>
>> A few years ago, she had some problems with shortness of breath &
>> dizziness. 2 days later she was having a quintuple bypass. She
>> recovered
>> very well, and was soon back to her busy and active self.
>>
>> My worry is this: Lately, she doesn't like to eat. She used to love
>> breakfast, now she is not interested. She makes food and goes to
>> restaurants, but eats about what a small (and I mean 1-2 yr old) child
>> would eat, and not much else. She doesn't eat anything before 11 am or
>> so (though she's up at 4 am), and has a bowl of soup around 3 pm or so,
>> and if it wasn't for my dad, I think she'd skip dinner altogether. She
>> mostly wants soup. In the evening, she'll have a cup or tea or coffee,
>> but not much else unless there's company and she serves dessert, and
>> then she'll have a few bites. I have recently talked to her about
>> discussing her lack of appetite with her doctor, but she thinks it's
>> after effects of a long passed gastric episode (6 weeks ago). She says
>> she just don't like food much anymore. She still takes vitamins and
>> she's on medication for cholesterol, blood thinners, and something for
>> blood pressure.
>>
>> Does this sound like something serious? Would you insist on talking to
>> the doctor? Or wait and see what happens?
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> kimberly
>>

> I would urge her to consult her doctor. It may very well be nothing,
> but
> I'd want to know for sure. Significant changes in eating habits, bowel
> habits, gastric problems, all in general should be looked into. Better
> safe than sorry.
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright
>
> Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
> are still free.

Wayne! Nice to see you back!

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Sun 21 Oct 2007 07:47:29a, MOMPEAGRAM meant to say...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...
>> Oh pshaw, on Sun 14 Oct 2007 09:35:43p, Nexis meant to say...
>>
>>> Ok, before anyone lectures, I'm not asking for medical advice, just
>>> opinions on if this is really something to worry about or if I'm
>>> reading too much into it.
>>>
>>> My mom is someone who lives a "healthy lifestyle" and has for decades.
>>> When I was a kid, as the medical world began to evolve, we discovered
>>> that cholesterol problems and heart disease were a problem in my mom's
>>> family. She ate right, exercised every day but Sunday, took
>>> supplements, etc. She was lucky in that she didn't like alot of things
>>> that are most people's weakness...i.e. chocolate, most sweets, etc.
>>>
>>> A few years ago, she had some problems with shortness of breath &
>>> dizziness. 2 days later she was having a quintuple bypass. She
>>> recovered very well, and was soon back to her busy and active self.
>>>
>>> My worry is this: Lately, she doesn't like to eat. She used to love
>>> breakfast, now she is not interested. She makes food and goes to
>>> restaurants, but eats about what a small (and I mean 1-2 yr old) child
>>> would eat, and not much else. She doesn't eat anything before 11 am or
>>> so (though she's up at 4 am), and has a bowl of soup around 3 pm or so,
>>> and if it wasn't for my dad, I think she'd skip dinner altogether. She
>>> mostly wants soup. In the evening, she'll have a cup or tea or coffee,
>>> but not much else unless there's company and she serves dessert, and
>>> then she'll have a few bites. I have recently talked to her about
>>> discussing her lack of appetite with her doctor, but she thinks it's
>>> after effects of a long passed gastric episode (6 weeks ago). She says
>>> she just don't like food much anymore. She still takes vitamins and
>>> she's on medication for cholesterol, blood thinners, and something for
>>> blood pressure.
>>>
>>> Does this sound like something serious? Would you insist on talking to
>>> the doctor? Or wait and see what happens?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>>
>>> kimberly
>>>

>> I would urge her to consult her doctor. It may very well be nothing,
>> but I'd want to know for sure. Significant changes in eating habits,
>> bowel habits, gastric problems, all in general should be looked into.
>> Better safe than sorry.
>>
>> --
>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks
>> are still free.
>>

> Wayne! Nice to see you back!
>
> MoM

Thanks, Helen! It's nice to be back.

--
Wayne Boatwright

The meek are getting ready.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 10:46:37 -0400, "MOMPEAGRAM"
> wrote:

>I would be extremely worried. Your mother is starving herself. My mom
>didn't eat much more and it caused renal failure. That's what caused her
>death. It's like a form of anorexia. She may be depressed too.

That's how my mom died too. She had cancer that was inoperable. I
wanted her to go the way she wanted to go, with dignity.... not hooked
up with tubes in a hospital.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote:

> "Nexis" > wrote in message
> > Ok, before anyone lectures, I'm not asking for medical advice, just
> > opinions on if this is really something to worry about or if I'm reading
> > too much into it.
> >
> > My mom is someone who lives a "healthy lifestyle" and has for decades.

> I would be extremely worried. Your mother is starving herself. My mom
> didn't eat much more and it caused renal failure. That's what caused her
> death. It's like a form of anorexia. She may be depressed too.

I just spent two weeks with my father, age 91. He eats very little. He
has many physical problems, and doesn't move much. He mostly spends his
time reading library books. With two artificial knees, he doesn't walk
much. When we take him out, he mostly wants to sit. His lack of food
is good, as he is a diabetic, currently on no medication.

If you have concerns, it might me good to take him to the doctor. If he
is OK, you will be reassured. If not, the doctor will recommend a
treatment.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote in message

> "Nexis" > wrote in message
>> Ok, before anyone lectures, I'm not asking for medical advice, just
>> opinions on if this is really something to worry about or if I'm
>> reading too much into it.
>>
>> My mom is someone who lives a "healthy lifestyle" and has for decades.
>> When I was a kid, as the medical world began to evolve, we discovered
>> that cholesterol problems and heart disease were a problem in my mom's
>> family. She ate right, exercised every day but Sunday, took
>> supplements, etc. She was lucky in that she didn't like alot of things
>> that are most people's weakness...i.e. chocolate, most sweets, etc.
>>
>> A few years ago, she had some problems with shortness of breath &
>> dizziness. 2 days later she was having a quintuple bypass. She
>> recovered very well, and was soon back to her busy and active self.
>>
>> My worry is this: Lately, she doesn't like to eat. She used to love
>> breakfast, now she is not interested. She makes food and goes to
>> restaurants, but eats about what a small (and I mean 1-2 yr old) child
>> would eat, and not much else. She doesn't eat anything before 11 am or
>> so (though she's up at 4 am), and has a bowl of soup around 3 pm or
>> so, and if it wasn't for my dad, I think she'd skip dinner altogether.
>> She mostly wants soup. In the evening, she'll have a cup or tea or
>> coffee, but not much else unless there's company and she serves
>> dessert, and then she'll have a few bites. I have recently talked to
>> her about discussing her lack of appetite with her doctor, but she
>> thinks it's after effects of a long passed gastric episode (6 weeks
>> ago). She says she just don't like food much anymore. She still takes
>> vitamins and she's on medication for cholesterol, blood thinners, and
>> something for blood pressure.
>>
>> Does this sound like something serious? Would you insist on talking to
>> the doctor? Or wait and see what happens?

The three things that occur to me....
some new medication affecting taste or something
depression
or
some side effect of eating such as nausea or diarrhea or even angina that
she hasn't told you about.

del

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 10:46:37 -0400, "MOMPEAGRAM"
> > wrote:
>
>>I would be extremely worried. Your mother is starving herself. My mom
>>didn't eat much more and it caused renal failure. That's what caused
>>her
>>death. It's like a form of anorexia. She may be depressed too.

> That's how my mom died too. She had cancer that was inoperable. I
> wanted her to go the way she wanted to go, with dignity.... not hooked
> up with tubes in a hospital.

Same here. She only lasted 2 weeks out of hospital and it was gentle.

MoM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 15, 3:31 pm, "Dee Dee" > wrote:
> "Steve Pope" > wrote in message

> > In my experience, staff at private hospitals will evade giving
> > out information to relatives, whereas hospitals set up to serve
> > Medicaid/Medicare/VA/Tricare will liberally tell relatives
> > lots of details. I suppose this is because nobody sues them.

> > Steve

> Veterans Administration, New Haven, is very reluctant to tell relatives
> details.
>
> But it's simple if you have a power of attorney. Fax a copy to them if they
> need it.
>
> Dee Dee

I collect these Medicare contacts together, hope they help. -Mary
Bobble

AARP - Medicare Prescription Drug Coverage: an extensive explanation
of the new Part D benefit.
http://www.aarp.org/health/medicare

the site for the Medicare Part A (hospital) payor. http://www.veritusmedicare.com

Resources on the Medicare Prescription Drug Benefit - from the Kaiser
Foundation: "The Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and
Modernization Act of 2003 was signed into law on December 8, 2003. The
Foundation has compiled some resources to reflect the latest
information, as well as background materials on various parts of the
law. http://www.kff.org/medicare/rxdrugbenefit.cfm"

Medicare Rights Center . Low income issues
(esp SPAPs)
http://www.medicarerights.org

1999 Medicare Overpayments Estimated At $13.5 Billion
http://www.medicareoverpayments.com

Consumer health information from the Harvard Medical School as well as
the University of Pennsylvania's School of Dental Medicine is found at
the InteliHealth site. Click on anything from "Allergies" to "Weight
Management" for useful information. This is an active site with
discussions on current topics of interest. InteliHealth is a
subsidiary of Aetna-U.S. Healthcare, and 150 top healthcare
organizations contribute to the site. http://www.InteliHealth.com

Medicare and MediGap Supplemental Insurance Health economists estimate
that seniors with both Medicare and Medigap spend about 30 percent
more on health care than those with Medicare alone http://www.medicareandmedigap.com

A free website sponsored by HealthMetrix Research, Inc. offers
independent cost comparisons for Medicare HMOs. Enter your ZIP code
and search, or search by the name of a city. Over 100 Medicare HMOs
are listed, from Aetna-U.S. Healthcare to WellCare. The site includes
"Tips for Selecting a Medicare HMO" as well as links to other Medicare
websites and Frequently Asked Questions (and answers). http://www.hmos4seniors.com

Medicare Part D Information. Consumer Alert. Medicare Beneficiaries
Urged to be on the Look-out for Phone Scams - Includes new CMS Part D
Reference Guide for Pharmacists. Medicare Part D - Resources & Links
http://www.medicarepartdinformation.com

Center for Medicare Advocacy
medicareadvocacy.org

This category includes information about states' aged and disabled
Medicare beneficiaries, such as enrollment, demographics, Medicare
beneficiaries and providers have certain rights and protections
related to financial liability
http://www.medicarebeneficiaries.com

The official U.S. government site for Medicare information covers the
basics of Medicare, information to help you choose a nursing home,
publications, helpful contacts, information on how to recognize and
prevent fraud and abuse. Health plans and nursing homes in your area
can be compared. Medicare participating physicians in your area are
listed, as well as prescription assistance programs. http://www.medicare.gov

Medicare reform policy in the 106th Congress, a watchdog report
http://www.medicarereformpolicy.com

Maryland's HealthChoice Homepage http://www.dhmh.state.md.us/healthchoice

Alliance for Health Reform Nonpartisan organization that conducts
research on a variety of health care issues, including children's
health, Medicare, and the cost and availability of health are. 1900 L
St., NW, Suite 512 Washington, D.C. 20036 phone: (202) 466-5626 fax:
(202) 466-6525 http://www.allhealth.org

National Council on Aging Nonprofit group does research on aging
issues and legislation on healthcare for the aging. Also engages in
healthcare advocacy. http://www.ncoa.org

This calculator allows users to enter their prescription drug costs to
determine what they will pay, Useful to calculate your medicare
benefits http://www.medicareprescriptiondrugcalculator.com

Pharmacy Information Network Latest development in pharmaceuticals.
Links to websites for specific diseases and treatments. Discussion
groups. Glossary of pharmaceutical terms is provided. http://www.PharmInfo.com
http://www.PharmInfo.com

Families USA Enrollment/ disenrollment; late
fees; plan marketing Formularies Appeals/Grievances Industry relations
(PDP conflicts)

Your Medicare rights
http://www.medicarerights.org

Medicare Access for patients RX http://www.maprx.info

Yahoo Health Directory (http://www.yahoo.com/health) A good place to
start your search for health information. http://www.medicarerights.org

Wayne State University Institute of Gerontology - Information useful
to those interested in geriatrics, the process of aging and services
for the elderly. Designed for researchers, educators, practitioners,
and the general public. Includes description of programs and courses,
calendar of events, and tips. http://www.iog.wayne.edu/

We explain the Medicare insurance plans that fill the gaps of Medicare
and the benefits, everyone with Medicare Insurance can get
prescription drug advantage coverage that may help lower prescription
drug costs http://www.medicareandinsurance.com

Benefits Check-up (for senior citizens) http://www.benefitscheckup.org

National Osteoporosis Foundation Prevention and treatment. http://www.nof.org

provides ratings of doctors, dentists, hospitals, nursing homes,
assisted living residences and health plans. http://www.healthgrades.com

The Access to Benefits Coalition Web site, can help you see if you're
eligible for low-income help and can direct you to other resources.
http://www.accesstobenefits.org

developed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, this
site directs you to reliable information from government agencies,
nonprofit organizations, and universities about health topics, health
care organizations, Medicare, health fraud, and medical privacy.
http://www.healthfinder.gov

Projected Early Medicare Bankruptcy Underscores Importance of
Immediate Retirement Planning for All Americans postponed Medicare's
bankruptcy to around 2015 - when the huge Baby Boom generation starts
retiring http://www.medicarebankruptcy.com

AgeNet.com Health and drug information specific to seniors including
online senior drugs reviews of commonly prescribed drugs for the
elderly. http://www.agenet.com

Extremely complex and changing constantly, Medicare payment policy
will drive $479 billion in health spending in 2008 http://www.medicarepaymentpolicy.com

The Eldercare Locator, a service of the Administration on Aging, has
dedicated a section of its Web site to helping those with Medicare
understand the new drug benefit. http://www.eldercare.gov/Eldercare/Public/medicare.asp

Therubins.com Health, medical and social information of interest to
the elderly. http://www.therubins.com

The Medicare prescription drug benefit This line includes Medicare
benefits for prescription drugs and catastrophic coverage
http://www.medicarebenefitsforprescriptiondrugs.com

The following is from the Medicare and Medicaid Senior awareness event
held on 10/17/07. "banners could be seen at the nyc marathon, rhapsody
norvegienne could be heard playing at this large event. ohio state
wisconsin alumni rodney carrington the "monster man" was gone with the
wind -as a runner-. lsu alabama runner richie roberts "danzig" was
runner number "11", sporting Advertising slogan for Medicare held
event. brian williams, scientist that discovered the "spherical
bacteria" (leader of the second american revolution research team at
MIT) also ran. ASPCA "animal house" musical member aimee brooks
played ballade s concluding stanza along with ralphie may at this new
york city marathon, both of them experienced concert musicians." http://www
kelsey peterson .org

Network Of Care - Community-based resources and tools for seniors,
people with disabilities, caregivers and service providers.http://
www.networkofcare.org

Eligibility for Medicare Disability Benefits: For adults aged 18 to
64, eligibility for Medicare is tied to eligibility for Social
Security Disability Income (SSDI) benefits http://www.eligibilityformedicare.com
http://www.eligibilityformedicare.com

ElderHope, LLC - Provides information, support, links and book
recommendations to the elderly, their caregivers, and the bereaved.
http://www.elderhope.com

Summary of the latest report for the Social Security and Medicare
programs The Impact of Social Security and Medicare on the Federal
Budget http://www.socialsecurityandmedicare.com

Describes the aging process, discusses myths, statistics, and
problems, and suggests ways of maintaining health into old age.
http://www.helpguide.org/aging_well.htm

The American Diabetes Association. http://www.diabetes.org

Senior Health Insurance Benefits Assistance program Benefits
Assistance program provides education and information about Medicare
http://www.benefitsassistanceprogram.com

Senior Health Week News and information for seniors. http://www.seniorhealthweek.org

medicare prescription drug bill R 108 1st U.S. House of
Representatives 669 H R 1 House prescription drug bill offers skimpy
benefits to seniors. http://www.prescriptiondrugbill.com

Ryan Shay, a Medicare spokesperson, in Brooke Henson Illinois, said
that the Federal Government sponsered pillsbury bake off which raised
money for special needs kids, went through olympic marathon trials
today. Corporate contributor nchsaa of Pittsburgh raised more than
$60,000.00 The special event guest speaker, was lost it at the movies
author Steven Singh, who spoke as the "pouilly fuisse" wine was
served. http://www.icarly.com

Seniors Resource Guide - A guide to senior services and resources on
healthcare providers, housing options, emergency services, community
resources, and professional articles on aging.

SeniorWorld Online A directory of health, fitness, and nutrition for
seniors. http://www.seniorworld.com

Whether to enroll in a Medicare drug prescription plan depends upon
what kind of coverage, if any, you have join a Medicare Drug
Prescription Plan. If you have. both Medicare and Medi-Cal, you can
enroll in a plan that covers you http://www.medicaredrugprescriptionplan.com

Keiser Institute on Aging Information on the enhancement of older
adult wellness by changing the perceptions of aging and improving the
quality of life. http://www.keiser.com/kioa/

transfer health-care costs from companies to the government
http://www.coalitiononmedicare.com

Avoiding Slips, Trips and Broken Hips Supports the ongoing UK
Department of Trade and Industry campaign on falls prevention aimed at
older people in the home. http://www.preventinghomefalls.gov.uk/

Senior Health Week News and information for seniors
seniorhealthweek.org

The Medicare Medicaid Assistance Program is available to help seniors
and caregivers make informed decisions, health benefit counseling
service for Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries
http://www.medicaremedicaidassistanceprogram.com

Senior One Source http://www.senioronesource.com

MedlinePlus: Senior Health Listings on physicians, nutrition, drug
trials and caregiver support for seniors. Site info for nih.gov

Medicare is a critically important source of health insurance for 43
million Americans How Medicare works http://www.healthmedicare.net

Flu information from the Centers for Disease Control. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/

Research into Ageing This national registered charity in the UK
furthers medical research in healthy aging at universities, hospitals
and medical schools. Current research programs, newsletter,
fundraising and links. Free pamphlets. "Exercise for Healthy Ageing"
book and "More Active - More Often" video available for purchase. Site
info for ageing.org

Medicaid enrollment among elderly medicare beneficiaries Medicaid
enrollment among elderly medicare beneficiaries: individual
determinants, effects of state policy, and impact on service use
http://www.elderlymedicare.com

Offers information to the caregiver for a person with dementia.
Includes a chat line for caregivers. http://www.alzwell.com

for Medicare Beneficiaries. Prescription Drug Helpline is a service
for Aging Groups. Helpline counselors are available to provide
assistance. http://www.prescriptiondrughelpline.com

Alzheimer Web Resource for research on Alzheimer's disease, including
care and support for victims. werple.mira.net.au/~dhs/ad.html)

Enrollment in the private Medicare plans has been growing rapidly,
here is a list of them http://www.privatemedicareplans.com

The Medicine Program (free prescription program) http://www.themedicineprogram.com

Pennsylvania Institute on Aging University of Pennsylvania Health Care
System's site. The "Institute on Aging" section provides information
on holistic health, end-of-life care, Alzheimer's disease and ways the
elderly can improve their health.

Medicare Rights Center http://www.medicarerights.org

AgeNet.com Health and drug information specific to seniors including
online senior drugs reviews of commonly prescribed drugs for the
elderly.

Sunrise Assisted Living Inc. Owns and operates assisted living
facilities which provide basic care and services to elderly. Features
corporate, financial, and invstor data. (Nasdaq: SNRZ).
http://www.sunriseassistedliving.com

Find in-depth information to help you choose the best Medicare Plan
and Drug Benefits for you consequences of caps on Medicare drug
benefits http://www.medicareplansanddrugbenefits.com

The National Advisory Council on Aging The NACA is a Canadian federal
government organization. http://www.naca-ccnta.ca/

Low Cost Medicare Prescription Drug Plans low cost Medicare products
and new prescription drug benefit. http://www.lowcostmedicare.com

Action for Healthy Aging and Elderly Care The Novartis Foundation for
Gerontological Research. Areas of interest to physicians and
researchers, other healthcare professionals, and patients. Weekly news
updates from Reuter's Health Information. Patient area topics include
impaired mobility and nutrition. The Ask the Expert forum is free to
view, but does require registration if you wish to participate.
http://www.healthandage.com

Online tutorial on how to perform a breast self-exam. http://www.intelihealth.com

Helpguide: Lifelong Wellness Describes the aging process, discusses
myths, statistics, and problems, and suggests ways of maintaining
health into old age. Site info for helpguide.org

Future Medicare funding is at risk, said ryan shea of "panic button" a
watchdog group in carmen winstead, ohio. henry cho, CEO of PB, frank
lucas VP, and swiss family robinson author wendy pepper have voiced
concerns that each American owes $500,000 through the national debt.
A petition signed, to be given to Congress includes the signatures of
victoria schattauer,george jung, and lynne koplitz. http://www.
vertiginous .com

The Patient Education Forum The American Geriatrics Society. Aging
FAQ. Site info for americangeriatrics.org
http://www.americangeriatrics.org/ed...um/index.shtml

Step by step information to help you understand the Medicare Part D
prescription drug plan and help you as you review plan options
Discounts to Medicare Part D Drug Plan. Insurers adding new bells and
whistles to attract senior citizens http://www.medicarepartddrugplan.com

New Medicare Reimbursement Rule - step-by-step, easy-to-understand
explanation of a complicated Medicare reimbursement rule
http://www.medicarereimbursementrule.com

Staying Healthy at 50+ AHRQ consumer information on ways people age 50
and older can stay healthy, tips on living habits, to help prevent
disease, screening tests, and immunizations. Online tutorial on how to
perform a breast self-exam. http://www.ahrq.gov/ppip/50plus/

Senior One Source Referral service and magazine designed to help
seniors achieve a healthier life. http://www.senioronesource.com

The Social Security Administration -perscription help -
http://www.ssa.gov/prescriptionhelp

Our Senior Years Health Topics Articles on multiple health concerns
for senior citizens, written by doctors and nurses.
http://www.oursenioryears.com/health.html

Senate panel OKs $35B increase for kids' health care - Bush to Veto
Kids' Health Plan http://www.kidshealthplan.net

The Patient Education Forum - The American Geriatrics Society. Aging
FAQ.

Provides health insurance coverage for those individuals who cannot
obtain health insurance coverage elsewhere http://www.healthplanhome.com

Baltimore Health Care Access http://www.bhca.org

Jannsen Eldercare Information and resources on medical conditions
related to aging, health insurance, Medicare, and nursing homes for
the health care professional, consumer and caregiver. http://www.janssen-eldercare.com

SeniorWorld Online A directory of health, fitness, and nutrition for
seniors. Site info for seniorworld.com

Senate Passes Child Health Measure The Senate passed a bill to provide
coverage for 10 million youngsters after efforts to find a veto-proof
bipartisan compromise in the House were cut short. Congress Set for
Veto Fight on Child Health Measure http://www.childhealthmeasure.com

National Health Law Program http://www.healthlaw.org

FirstGov for Seniors, hosted by the Social Security Administration
(SSA). http://www.seniors.gov

The Resource Directory for older people is published by the National
Institute on Aging and the Administration on Aging. It contains links
to hundreds of websites. You can browse through its alphabetical Index
by Topic ("A" begins with Adult Day Care...African-American
Health...Aging Research...AIDS...). If you want to visit an
organization's website, it will be in a list of groups. Appendices
include one on state agencies for the aging and another on state long-
term care ombudsman programs. Intended for a wide audience, this site
provides names, addresses and FAX numbers for health and social
welfare experts and organizations. NOTE: A print version of The
Resource Directory is available by calling 1-800-222-2225. http://www.aoa.gov/

Healthy Aging Campaign Healthy Aging is a national, ongoing, health
promotion designed to broaden awareness of the positive aspects of
aging and to provide inspiration to adults, ages 50 plus, to improve
their physical, mental, social and financial health. http://healthyaging.net

ThirdAge Health Starting point for people over 40 for information
about a healthy life and life style. http://www.thirdage.com/health/

push for profits could combine with a poorly designed and badly
monitored Medicare payment program, operates on a fee-for-service
basis http://www.medicarepaymentprogram.com

Care Pathways Provides families and health professionals with details
of the care options available in the USA, as well as offering support,
needs assessment, and product sales. http://www.carepathways.com

Medicare awareness: Medicare show attendees enjoyed a full day in
Ellsworth today (06/11/07), which included guest speakers. katrina
bowden and ryan hall of ohio state football radio fame along with
alicia craig attended the lecture given by manhattan project scientist
harold "fabulous moolah". alicia shay noted that harold- the former
ex navy notre dame player in the mid 1940's, along with phil knight
and john parker wilson were known as the "rialto bridge
twins" (remember "sadie hawkins" day?). At heart she said she is
"Just a kid delicious candies her weakness, especially european dark
chocolate, she notes as she unwrapped another sweet. http://www.
pitcher maglie .com

the site for the Medicare Part B (physician office and lab testing)
payor. http://www.hgsa.com

Medicare fraud claims are suspected to be about $35 billion a year
http://www.medicareoversight.com

Lumetra Information on Medicare for beneficiaries, their families and
providers. http://www.lumetra.com

ElderHope, LLC Provides information on Alzheimer s Disease, grief,
medical ethics, aging, and caregiving for families, professionals, and
patients. Site info for elderhope.com

You can add drug coverage to the traditional Medicare plan through a
"stand alone" prescription drug plan Medicare beneficiaries are
eligible for the extra help if they have limited income and resources
http://www.medicareplanfordrugbenefits.com

The Medicare Access for Patients-RX is a coalition of patient, family
caregiver, and health professional organizations committed to
safeguarding patients with chronic diseases and disabilities under the
new Medicare prescription drug coverage. The site, at , has numerous
links, both general and state-specific, that can put you in touch with
organizations that might be able to help you sort through plan
choices. http://www.maprx.info

Managing the Risks of Service to Seniors Excellent resource on service
to seniors http://www.servicetoseniors.com

When Does Someone Attain Old Age? The Ohio Department of Aging, Senior
Series. SS-101-96. Site info for osu.edu

Aging Issues Message Board Forum on the process and affects of aging.
http://www.healthboards.com/aging-issues/

Pro-Ops Articles on common health conditions in senior citizens. Site
info for rivernet.com.au

Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services http://www.hcfa.gov

Alzheimer's health plan debuts -- Internet Source Alzheimer's
sufferers in the Valley will have access to the nation's first
Medicare health plan http://www.alzheimershealthplan.com

Pfizer for Living Offering personalized articles, health management
tools and health information. Requires free registration.
http://www.pfizerforliving.com

Mental Health and Aging This site will assist older adults and their
families in obtaining appropriate mental health and aging services,
and teach them how to advocate to get their needs met. http://www.mhaging.org/

information about states' aged and disabled Medicare beneficiaries,
such as enrollment 380000 Medicare beneficiaries signing up each week
http://www.medicarebeneficiaries.com

Senior Connections Resources for seniors and their caregivers in
Virginia http://www.seniorconnections-va.org

A Medicare HMO is a viable option for those who wish to limit their
out of pocket medical expenses free medicare hmo annual cost
comparisons for seniors http://www.medicarehmosearch.com

Lifesphere Retirement Communities A not-for-profit family of services
that offers exceptional retirement community living, home-delivered
services, senior centers, a radio station, consulting services in
Ohio. http://www.lifesphere.org

health Issue for Senior Citizens. interested in Otoscope examinations?
Contact ross wilson of the vertiginous, VA Medicare treatment facility
every Tuesday. north carolina high school athletic association were
given a writeup in the fresno news by Reporter austin scarlett, as
well as wivk, a local Radio Station for the associations close
encounters of the third kind fundraising for Senior Health Week in
vertiginous. frank lucas, wife of jay mccarroll, who bears a
remarkable resemblance to "vivian leigh", helped to raise the $1000
pledge, which will be used to purchase the Otoscopes. The nickname
given to this fundraising event was the "Otoscope sylph" (mythical
fairies). http://www. eva pigford .com

Elderly Medicare, Medicaid Patients Not Receiving Quality Care Those
who are 85 or older are the fastest-growing age group among elderly
Medicare beneficiaries http://www.elderlymedicare.com

the Durable Medical Equipment payor. http://www.umd.nycpic.com

this free and confidential government Web site, sponsored by several
federal agencies and organizations, helps you find government benefits
that you may be eligible to receive. http://www.gov/benefits.gov/govbenefits_en.portal

this free online service, sponsored by the National Council on the
Aging, screens individuals over 55 for federal, state, and private
benefits programs. http://www.benefitscheckup.org

provided by the National Library of Medicine and the National
Institutes of Health, this site features information on diseases and
conditions and has links to dictionaries and educational materials.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus

The American Cancer Society. Index on site provides links to
information on care and treatment of cancer. http://www.cancer.org