Posted to rec.food.cooking
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default Worried about Mom....advice?

"Nexis" > wrote in message
> Ok, before anyone lectures, I'm not asking for medical advice, just
> opinions on if this is really something to worry about or if I'm reading
> too much into it.
>
> My mom is someone who lives a "healthy lifestyle" and has for decades.
> When I was a kid, as the medical world began to evolve, we discovered that
> cholesterol problems and heart disease were a problem in my mom's family.
> She ate right, exercised every day but Sunday, took supplements, etc. She
> was lucky in that she didn't like alot of things that are most people's
> weakness...i.e. chocolate, most sweets, etc.
>
> A few years ago, she had some problems with shortness of breath &
> dizziness. 2 days later she was having a quintuple bypass. She recovered
> very well, and was soon back to her busy and active self.
>
> My worry is this: Lately, she doesn't like to eat. She used to love
> breakfast, now she is not interested. She makes food and goes to
> restaurants, but eats about what a small (and I mean 1-2 yr old) child
> would eat, and not much else. She doesn't eat anything before 11 am or so
> (though she's up at 4 am), and has a bowl of soup around 3 pm or so, and
> if it wasn't for my dad, I think she'd skip dinner altogether. She mostly
> wants soup. In the evening, she'll have a cup or tea or coffee, but not
> much else unless there's company and she serves dessert, and then she'll
> have a few bites. I have recently talked to her about discussing her lack
> of appetite with her doctor, but she thinks it's after effects of a long
> passed gastric episode (6 weeks ago). She says she just don't like food
> much anymore. She still takes vitamins and she's on medication for
> cholesterol, blood thinners, and something for blood pressure.
>
> Does this sound like something serious? Would you insist on talking to the
> doctor? Or wait and see what happens?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> kimberly

Older people often lose their appetite. Sometimes the food just doesn't
taste like it used to.

I'm only 48 and am going through some similar issues myself, although not as
extreme as your mom. I have food allergies which limits what I can eat.
Also have diabetes and diabetic gastroparesis. That means I might throw up
if I do eat! And the gastroparesis diet limits me even further. I am
overweight though so I can use that as an excuse when I don't want to eat.
Doesn't seem to help with the weight loss though. I take vitamins and was
recommended by my naturopath that I take some Super Algae capsules for added
nutrition.

Is your mom losing weight? Or has she lost too much weight? If not, I
wouldn't worry about it too much. Especially if she isn't very active.
People need less calories as they age.