Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default Worried about Mom....advice?

Nexis > wrote:

> Ok, before anyone lectures, I'm not asking for medical advice,
> just opinions on if this is really something to worry about or
> if I'm reading too much into it.

[snip]

> My worry is this: Lately, she doesn't like to eat. She used to
> love breakfast, now she is not interested. She makes food and
> goes to restaurants, but eats about what a small (and I mean
> 1-2 yr old) child would eat, and not much else. She doesn't
> eat anything before 11 am or so (though she's up at 4 am),
> and has a bowl of soup around 3 pm or so, and if it wasn't for
> my dad, I think she'd skip dinner altogether. She mostly wants
> soup. In the evening, she'll have a cup or tea or coffee, but
> not much else unless there's company and she serves dessert,
> and then she'll have a few bites. I have recently talked to
> her about discussing her lack of appetite with her doctor, but
> she thinks it's after effects of a long passed gastric episode
> (6 weeks ago). She says she just don't like food much anymore.

You are definitely right to be concerned. The first question
that comes to mind: has she lost weight? If not, then there
is probably not too much to worry about -- although she's still
best off talking to her doctor about it.

If she is losing weight, and especially if her weight is now below
normal, then it is more important to seek medical attention.
From the sound of it, she has a regular doctor, and she almost
certainly is weighed at each doctor visit, so the doctor
(if they're paying attention) should notice any big change.
In most cases unexpected weight loss calls for a physical exam
and perhaps lab work.

Best,
Steve