Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonnymus[_5_] Nonnymus[_5_] is offline

Default FoodSaver Tip - packaging and sealing wet items

Steve Calvin wrote:
> * Posted in alt.cooking-chat but thought some here may find it useful info.
>

> ok, I'm getting ready to head up to our camp for deer season with a
> couple friends and needed to vacuum seal individual servings of chili,
> sausage & peppers, and stew. And I hit a problem and solved it. I
> thought I'd pass it on.
>
> The problem: getting the inside top of the bags wet/goobered up so they
> wouldn't seal properly with out wiping them off prior to sealing.
>
> The solution: Find a food grade tube of plastic, preferably flexible,
> around 3 1/2" in diameter and 9" or so inches long.
>
> Use: Insert the tube into the bag but *not* all the way to the bottom.
> Approximately 1/2 way so that when you scoop the food into the tube it
> falls out the tube into the bag without messing up the outside bottom of
> the tube.
>
> Pull the tube out and seal the bag with nice clean insides. Works great.

The Food saver sealer I use would still wick the moisture into the
sealed line and make a mess in the collection tray inside the sealer.
When doing something like you're recommending, I put the substance into
small Tupperware-type containers and freeze them first. The frozen
contents can then be removed by a swift 'bang' on the cutting board and
the frozen block of whatever inserted into the vac bag cleanly. Since
I'm gonna freeze whatever anyway, the only additional work is in washing
the Tupperware afterward- but then I have a dishwasher and that makes it
a snap anyway.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---